The case for Reynolds in 2013

Scrat1

Is it still allowed to add incentive clauses to player contracts, such as a bonus for reaching 30 HR, or 40 HR? If so, would it work to not pick up Reynolds' option but tell him we'd love to have you, and then offer to extend him 1-2 years, say at $6M, but with incentives where he could get to $11M if he has the season we hope he can have (say .250, 40 HR).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reynolds has played very well defensively at 1st IMO. For the right price at something less than $5M I say bring him back unless we find a better option elsewhere. He can be a very dangerous hitter, maintains a decent OBP and might have a few slugger seasons left in him.

1B FA options next fall: Napoli, LaRoche, maybe Berkman. I'd like Napoli because we could use him at 1B/DH and C with Davis. But if he extends with TEX or costs too much, LaRoche would be a consideration, providing the Gnats don't pick up his option. Otherwise I would take Reynolds at 5-6M per for 2-3 years.

A couple things to consider when discussing Mark Reynolds. His power numbers are down, but he has only played in 99 of the Orioles 126 games, which means about 100 fewer AB's. Something interesting is that his K rate is considerably lower then in past years. Has he been working with Presley on adjusting his swing? Plus, he lost weight in the off-season and he is learning a new position.

I think all this sets up big numbers for Reynolds next year

Nolan Reimold for 1B in 2013!

I was planning to start this campaign later, hopefully after the playoffs, but I guess a rain out is just as well.

Is he less likely to get hurt as a 1B? We can only hope. Backup plans will be needed, I guess Davis is an afable backup plan, as is Mahoney. How much of a long shot is Delmonico?

I was planning to start this campaign later, hopefully after the playoffs, but I guess a rain out is just as well.

Is he less likely to get hurt as a 1B? We can only hope. Backup plans will be needed, I guess Davis is an afable backup plan, as is Mahoney. How much of a long shot is Delmonico?

Right, because anybody can just move in and play 1B, it's such a non skill position. Never mind they already tried him there and it apparently didn't work out.

Reimold should definitely start getting reps at first base, but there's no way we can go into next season relying on him in any form, especially not in the field. Whatever we get out of Reimold is extra. Mahoney is not a back up plan. He's, like, plan G. There is no way Delmonico can play at the major league level yet.

Reynolds' career OBP is .332.

Garvey's career OBP was .329.

Which only goes to show you that OBP is the hipster stat du jour, and not necessarily reflective of a player's greatness. Listen, I like guys who get on base, too. but I'd rather have them getting on base with hits than walks, that's for sure.

Right, because anybody can just move in and play 1B, it's such a non skill position. Never mind they already tried him there and it apparently didn't work out.

The only problem is, you have to move your arms and legs when playing baseball, including first base, and that apparently is not something Reimold can do without causing major damage. For the record, I would be fine with Reynolds at first on a bargain contract. As for Nolan... he's too injury prone to even talk about when thinking up future rosters, IMO.

Which only goes to show you that OBP is the hipster stat du jour, and not necessarily reflective of a player's greatness. Listen, I like guys who get on base, too. but I'd rather have them getting on base with hits than walks, that's for sure.

OBP is the stat that correlates the most to scoring runs. SLG Pct is the second best stat that correlates to scoring runs. There are composite stats that show the effect/value of OBP and SLG pct. It's not really that hard. I'm hardly a hipster.

OBP is the stat that correlates the most to scoring runs. SLG Pct is the second best stat that correlates to scoring runs. There are composite stats that show the effect/value of OBP and SLG pct. It's not really that hard. I'm hardly a hipster.

I've met you. You're picture is in the dictionary next to the word hipster.

I'd want Adam LaRoche first and foremost if he's a FA. He's had a great year hitting, easily the Nats' offensive MVP this season, and his defense is a discernible upgrade from Reynolds', which is no slam on Mark. If LaRoche isn't available, then Reynolds may be our best bet, though I've sort of soured a bit on him.

I'd keep Davis and Reynolds. JT is practically done hire him as a coach, Betemit was a mistake and Reimold it would be great if he could play 1st but he hasn't been able to last a whole season or any reasonable part of a season. Come to think of damn he just has some bad luck.

I'd keep Davis and Reynolds. JT is practically done hire him as a coach, Betemit was a mistake and Reimold it would be great if he could play 1st but he hasn't been able to last a whole season or any reasonable part of a season. Come to think of damn he just has some bad luck.

I strongly disagree with the notion that Betemit was a mistake. He was brought in to DH vs RHPs and be an occasional backup CIF.

I'll concede to you on his defense. He may be the worst fielder at the hot corner that I've ever seen. Way worse than Reynolds. He looks like he has no grasp of the fundamentals of the position, which is hard to believe. I think it was Nicky Delmonico who earlier this year said "Defense is just a matter of pride". Obviously, that's an overgeneralization because you have to have the necessary physical attributes, but Betemit clearly doesn't take pride in his defense.

But I still say the signing has been a success. He was brought in under the false assumption that Reynolds was going to turn his defense around this year. He wasn't supposed to be an everyday player, or a position player in general really. He was supposed to step into the lineup and rake vs RHPs. And he has absolutely raked this whole year vs rightys. OPS of .873 and wOBA of .374 speak for themselves. I would love to have him back next year, doing what he should have been doing this year. DHing vs RHPs, and ONLY THAT.

Archived