Some stuff

bigbird

This is so true.

If I were to come out and say, "the O's would be nuts to trade Bedard!!! Extend him!!!!," the very same points I'm making now would be brought up to discredit that argument.

Folks may not like the delivery, but they know the message is on the mark. Bedard is a good or even very good pitcher, coming off of a great year.

Well, dammit. Will you please look at what you just did? Here I am, trying to stick up for you a little bit, trying to be a nice guy (for once), and what do you do? You start out just fine... but then you had to add in that last sentence, didn't you. You have to specifically say that the choice are that he's either "good, or even very good". Now, you knew darn well that the argument you re-started (and you knew you were doin' it) is about whether he's great. So, you could just as easily have said that he's "good, very good, or great, time will tell, but he's definitely coming off a great year". But did you say that? No, you did not. Can't you just say "maybe" once in a while?

Now, some of this is my problem, I'll grant you that, because I keep getting in arguments with people about this kinda stuff. I get in arguments with Drungo about this sometimes. A lot of these arguments wouldn't happen if you'd just say "maybe" once in a while instead of being way-too-sure. (But, then again, I prolly do it too.)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you guys are done with me, you really need to get to work harassing the haters over at B-R and their piece of crap models.

Just look at the schmoes they've got on Bedard's comp list.

1. Donovan Osborne (976)

2. Bud Black (971)

3. Trevor Wilson (970)

4. Chris Nabholz (969)

5. Roy Parmelee (963)

6. Cal Eldred (962)

7. Justin Thompson (961)

8. Bill Hallahan (961)

9. Dick Stigman (959)

10. Marty Pattin (958)

Now you're just being dumb on purpose. You know those lists are about who he has been so far, adding it all up, and not paying attention to how he's been trending. You know that list is not about who he compares to now.

Well, dammit. Will you please look at what you just did? Here I am, trying to stick up for you a little bit, trying to be a nice guy (for once), and what do you do? You start out just fine... but then you had to add in that last sentence, didn't you. You have to specifically say that the choice are that he's either "good, or even very good". Now, you knew darn well that the argument you re-started (and you knew you were doin' it) is about whether he's great. So, you could just as easily have said that he's "good, very good, or great, time will tell, but he's definitely coming off a great year". But did you say that? No, you did not. Can't you just say "maybe" once in a while?

Now, some of this is my problem, I'll grant you that, because I keep getting in arguments with people about this kinda stuff. I get in arguments with Drungo about this sometimes. A lot of these arguments wouldn't happen if you'd just say "maybe" once in a while instead of being way-too-sure. (But, then again, I prolly do it too.)

Actually, i think Dave was right...I mean, just saying he is good is ridiculous but you can't really put the word great in front of Erik unless you are just describing last year.

He is a very good pitcher and clearly a top 10 pitcher in the game right now.

But other than Santana, Pedro, Maddux, Glavine and Clemens, i am not sure there are any pitchers in all of baseball who deserve the tag of "great" at this point in their careers.

The word great gets thrown around a lot by all of us and really, it is usually misused.

Shack, you need to hang out with Eskimos more often. In their language there is no certainty. Everything is maybe. Has to do with the changeableness of their weather.:D

Erik Bedard was one of the best lefties in the game in 2007. He's not one of the best lefties in the game, period.

Why did I even go there.

I like Dave for the most part but this is the totally ridiculous part of his original statement. You could make an argument that he isn't one of the best pitchers in the game but not one of the best lefties???? O'RLY???

I like Dave for the most part but this is the totally ridiculous part of his original statement. You could make an argument that he isn't one of the best pitchers in the game but not one of the best lefties???? O'RLY???

I think you're confused.

Archived