Os acquire Saunders.

gallden

I'm going on record now' date=' I like this trade!!

Solid starter depth for a very cheap price.

Pitching in chase field is what drove up saunders era. He was in the upper 2's in era away from home with the d-backs. That'll work just fine.

He's coming to a new league and will get to face some teams he hasn't seen in a while. I like the move. He's had a couple bad starts that have ballooned his era but for the most part, he is a very solid starter who will give you 6 or 7 innings and only 2 or 3 runs allowed over those innings.

The o's can work with that baby! Plus i wasn't a big fan of lindstrom anyways. Arrieta can give us an inning or long relief, as can Johnson. Matusz looked good as a loogy.

Overall this team has improved quite a bit in the past month or so and it's all thanks to Dan and Buck!

In Dan I trust![/quote']

I agree with all this, too bad you personally attacked me in another thread or we could be friends. Clown move bro.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe Johnson since he just had a start and is out of commission for a few days, and then they recall him when the rosters expand?

Wouldn't surprise me if the O's go to a six man rotation down the stretch. That would mean Saunders goes right into the rotation as it currently stands and then Britton or Johnson moves over to long man once Hammel returns.

You gotta love this board sometimes. When Guthrie was originally traded for Hammel and Lindstrom, people were crapping all over that trade and saying how Lindstrom was no good. Now Lindstrom has basically been traded for another Guthrie and people are crapping all over the trade, complaining about how valuable and good Lindstrom is.

You gotta love this board sometimes. When Guthrie was originally traded for Hammel and Lindstrom, people were crapping all over that trade and saying how Lindstrom was no good. Now Lindstrom has basically been traded for another Guthrie and people are crapping all over the trade, complaining about how valuable and good Lindstrom is.

It is pretty silly, but I can't help but I can't help to use this as a vehicle to crap, myself, on one of the lines of reasoning I've seen in my cursory view of this thread: something like, I'll take Hammel and Saunders for Guthrie any day, if you told me that was what we'd get from Guthrie I'd be positively enthused!

Yes, but that's like saying if you told me the Orioles would be 81-81 with a -30 RD at the beginning of the season I would've bit your hand off. Of course, but we already made that trade, and we already banked the benefits, just as we have with our wins. No one here would be happy if the O's finish 81-81 with a -30 RD, considering where they are now.

I don't really care about the trade, except in so far as it affects Arrieta and Britton. Saunders starts should not come at the expense of Britton's, and I have to wonder if it's wise moving Arrieta to the bullpen when he was starting to show some positive signs at AAA. I'd much rather see Tommy Hunter fill Lindstrom's role, and frankly, I don't think the results would be too different (I think Tommy will be a good, semi-valuable bullpen arm just like Lindstrom). I can more or less endorse MrOrange82's giant shrug of the shoulders, except for the trickle down effect on Britton/Arrieta. But I'll take a wait and see approach, and trust that the higher-ups know better than I do what's good/bad for Arrieta and Matusz's development/respective attempts at reclamation.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

#orioles official confirms Joe Saunders a free agent after this season. Listed on baseball-reference. com as having another arbitration year

Thanks! Would have had more appeal if it came with this option to retain. Not a huge deal though.

I think the addition of Saunders is pretty decent one , I liked Lindstrom as well but you have to give up something to get something. We have had young guys Tillman, Chen,Steve Johnson,Gonzalez step up for us big time sense Hammel went down, but with the addition of Saunders and Jason coming back in the next week or so hopefully we will have a pretty solid rotation for the stretch run. In September I would go with a rotation of Chen,Hammel,Saunders,Tillman and S.Johnson , and have Gonzalez be the long man.

Guest rochester
I'll wait and see what Saunders does before I criticize DD's trade. I understand where DD is coming from, though. Saunders does offer more value(potentially) to the ball club. We have young guys, let's be honest they aren't proven to be consistent starters at this level(Not saying they will never be) I guess we'll have to wait and find out. I can't wait for Jason to come back!

Agree with this. Plus, until I am proven wrong any management that has this team talking playoffs and it is almost September does not deserve a knee-jerk reaction.

I think the addition of Saunders is pretty decent one , I liked Lindstrom as well but you have to give up something to get something. We have had young guys Tillman, Chen,Steve Johnson,Gonzalez step up for us big time sense Hammel went down, but with the addition of Saunders and Jason coming back in the next week or so hopefully we will have a pretty solid rotation for the stretch run. In September I would go with a rotation of Chen,Hammel,Saunders,Tillman and S.Johnson , and have Gonzalez be the long man.

No way I'm moving Gonzo out of the rotation the way he's pitching. He's been great.

One thing I haven't seen said is the possibility that the Orioles are concerned about the health of their starters and want some insurance. Sure, it's great if Hammel comes back and you have Johnson and Britton in the wings. But what if Hammels hits a hiccup, innings start to catch up to Chen, and Gonzalez starts to tire? Deep depth is important. Arrietta and Bundy out of the pen can make up for Lindstrom.

Joseph Saunders ‏@J_saundo

...great memories at Camden Yards as a kid where my love of the game started watching Cal Ripkin lead the American league @RipkenBaseball

There you go. Anyone think he's gonna be fired up to pitch for his favorite team and in a playoff race and pitch well?

Archived