Marcus Stroman, who many here liked

URL="http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-08-28/marcus-stroman-ped-postive-test-50-game-ban-blue-jays"]http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-08-28/marcus-stroman-ped-postive-test-50-game-ban-blue-jays[/url]

Marcus Stroman, the first-round pick of the Toronto Blue Jays in June's MLB Draft, will be suspended for 50 games after testing positive for Methylhexaneamine, according to CBSSports.com.
Although intended by Eli Lilly to be used as a nasal decongestant, methylhexaneamine has been marketed as a dietary supplement in combination with caffeine and other ingredients, under trade names such as Geranamine and Floradrene, to be used as an OTC thermogenic or general purpose stimulant. Methylhexaneamine itself has not been studied intensively and its pharmacological profile has not been evaluated since Eli Lilly filed its patent in 1944, stating that the stimulant effects on the CNS are less than that of the related compounds amphetamine and ephedrine.

Stroman's test is indicative of a greater problem within the supplement industry. Methylhexaneamine is commonly found in pre workout supplements, but not written in the ingredients. During the past two years, this compound has led to an increasing number of positive tests, often times from supplements that are heavily marketed at places like GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. Although it is supposed to leave your system fairly quickly, Stroman must have just had crummy luck.

I do not begrudge him a bit for this positive test and others should not pass judgement. In all likelihood, he was taking an over the counter pre workout supplement that MANY in professional athletics take and even put their name behind, and got the call to submit a sample at the wrong time.

Yeah, why do guys fool with this stuff? Does it mask something else? I wish I had better knowledge. I never believe it is innocent or that it is a tainted sample though. They gamble to get millions and get a slap on the wrist and a have a built in explanation.

Yeah, why do guys fool with this stuff? Does it mask something else? I wish I had better knowledge. I never believe it is innocent or that it is a tainted sample though. They gamble to get millions and get a slap on the wrist and a have a built in explanation.

People use prework out supplements because the work. Jack3d, Assault, and HemoRage are all very popular pre workout supplements that can offer what they claim to be a false positive for what Stroman tested for. False or not, it is a positive that was likely unbeknownst to Stroman when he took the supplement because you have to do serious homework to find that option.

People use prework out supplements because the work. Jack3d, Assault, and HemoRage are all very popular pre workout supplements that can offer what they claim to be a false positive for what Stroman tested for. False or not, it is a positive that was likely unbeknownst to Stroman when he took the supplement because you have to do serious homework to find that option.

Na, na. It's not a false positive. I get where you are coming from though. If it is banned, why do they use it? What does a positive for this stuff cover up? What do they put in this stuff or why do they even do it. I mean I can understand him wanting an edge at his size. I assume from this that he used something to perform at a level where he would get the enormous first round money. A fifty game suspension certainly is a small price to pay.

This stuff is legal for you and I, and it has a effect similar to caffeine. It's what Quintanilla was busted for. Many people take Jack3d and the like and don't notice a thing.

I think it's an utter joke that they are cracking down on something that is really not a PED at all, and are not testing blood for HGH. That's one to focus on...

Na, na. It's not a false positive. I get where you are coming from though. If it is banned, why do they use it? What does a positive for this stuff cover up? What do they put in this stuff or why do they even do it. I mean I can understand him wanting an edge at his size. I assume from this that he used something to perform at a level where he would get the enormous first roundmoney.
Stroman's test is indicative of a greater problem within the supplement industry. Methylhexaneamine is commonly found in pre workout supplements, but not written in the ingredients. During the past two years, this compound has led to an increasing number of positive tests, often times from supplements that are heavily marketed at places like GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. Although it is supposed to leave your system fairly quickly, Stroman must have just had crummy luck.

It is entirely possible that he had no idea he was taking it. OTC supplements are not well regulated the actual ingredients and dosages listed may very well not be what is in the actual product. I took Ephedra for weight loss when I was in the Army and I could physically feel the difference from one bottle to the next. (I strongly discourage anyone from using Ephedra, it is nasty stuff)

And Weams, it does nothing for your size. It gives you a 60 minute coffee buzz so you can workout with a little more energy.

Why do they take it then? Why do they even fool with supplements that are not pre-screened through the league. I just don't get it. Kid is a millionaire, he does need to shop online for deals.

Why do they take it then? Why do they even fool with supplements that are not pre-screened through the league. I just don't get it. Kid is a millionaire, he does need to shop online for deals.

Because he is a kid. He was probably let down by his agent and/or the Jays organization. From what I have read minor leaguers are much more "on their own" then I think is sensible.

A lot of benign stuff you can get from GNC has it. So he might be dumb. Or, as stated, MLB legal supplements made in the same factory could have cross contamination.

Everything GNC sells is legal for you and I. Not legal for various sports governing bodies though.

A lot of benign stuff you can get from GNC has it. So he might be dumb. Or, as stated, MLB legal supplements made in the same factory could have cross contamination.

Everything GNC sells is legal for you and I. Not legal for various sports governing bodies though.

Ok. Cool. Thanks.

Archived