Magic Numbers and teams the Orioles have eliminated

csgordos

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how good are the chances that the O's can clinch a playoff spot during the Boston series? Is my math correct that it could only happen no earlier than Sunday? (2 O's wins, 2 Angels losses and an O's win or Angels loss on Sunday?)

Because I'd really love to see them pop the champange in front of a home crowd.

The Angels play tonight. IF, they lose tonight the magic number is down to 4. Then any combination of the Orioles winning and Angels losing that equals 4 allows for the Orioles to clinch at home. However, the Angels play at 3 on Sunday and we play at 1. So if you really want the Orioles to be cheered at home, then we need the Angels to lose 2 or 3 games by Saturday night and the Orioles to win the needed 3 or 2 by Sunday's game end. Does that make sense?

Am I crazy for wanting the Ray's to surpass the Angels & A's for the 2nd WC? I think we match up with them better than Oakland or LAA. The west - with the exception of SEA - has really had our number this year.

Whose pitching staff on the A's scares you more than the Rays? Serious question. Maybe I am wrong, but the Rays have playoff tested players and a starting staff with more experience and dangerous (own the AL strikeout record for a season) than an ALL rookie staff for the A's. Plus the Rays probably are still a more offensive threat than the A's, but neither team's offense is near as good as the Angels, Rangers, Yankees, or Tigers.

The Angels play tonight. IF, they lose tonight the magic number is down to 4. Then any combination of the Orioles winning and Angels losing that equals 4 allows for the Orioles to clinch at home. However, the Angels play at 3 on Sunday and we play at 1. So if you really want the Orioles to be cheered at home, then we need the Angels to lose 2 or 3 games by Saturday night and the Orioles to win the needed 3 or 2 by Sunday's game end. Does that make sense?

As much as it ever will.....

Whose pitching staff on the A's scares you more than the Rays? Serious question. Maybe I am wrong, but the Rays have playoff tested players and a starting staff with more experience and dangerous (own the AL strikeout record for a season) than an ALL rookie staff for the A's. Plus the Rays probably are still a more offensive threat than the A's, but neither team's offense is near as good as the Angels, Rangers, Yankees, or Tigers.

This is all true but - purely from a record standpoint - we have a 9 - 6 record against TBR and a losing record against OAK (4-5) and LAA (2-7). TBR's pitching is great but we are far more familiar with them than we are the other staffs.

Maybe i am wrong but i think if we sweep the Sox and the Yanks loose one of the next 4 we may still not see a big celebration. This team has always said it is about the division and if they a game out of that i doubt Buck lets them celebrate much with the team goal still in sight.

Am I crazy for wanting the Ray's to surpass the Angels & A's for the 2nd WC? I think we match up with them better than Oakland or LAA. The west - with the exception of SEA - has really had our number this year.

Yes. There is almost no way the Rays get in without beating up on the Orioles in the last 3 games.

Archived