Magic Numbers and teams the Orioles have eliminated

csgordos

While it's true the magic number is 9, with so many teams in the mix, the odds that one of them gets really hot are reasonably good, so we'd still better assume it will take 7-8 wins to put the wild card to bed. Either Tampa or Detroit could still win 92 games, the Angels 93. Detroit has a very easy schedule from here on out and could go on a run.

The Tigers are 6 back in the wild card. They have a better chance to make a run at winning the Central Division.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tigers are 6 back in the wild card. They have a better chance to make a run at winning the Central Division.

That is undoubtedly true, since we are four games ahead of the White Sox. But if the White Sox become the second place team, our magic number on them is 10 right now.

All these teams have a big uphill battle to catch the Orioles, but we have to assume that at least one of them gets red hot in the final 13, and that we will need to get to our magic number mostly by winning games, not by other teams losing them. In any event, I'd rather catch the Yankees or be the first wild card rather than trying to hang on to the second wild card spot.

By the way, if we win the division, do you have to change your screen name? I recall you saying that you chose that name way back when because the wild card was our realistic goal, with the Yankees in our division.

That is undoubtedly true, since we are four games ahead of the White Sox. But if the White Sox become the second place team, our magic number on them is 10 right now.

All these teams have a big uphill battle to catch the Orioles, but we have to assume that at least one of them gets red hot in the final 13, and that we will need to get to our magic number mostly by winning games, not by other teams losing them. In any event, I'd rather catch the Yankees or be the first wild card rather than trying to hang on to the second wild card spot.

By the way, if we win the division, do you have to change your screen name? I recall you saying that you chose that name way back when because the wild card was our realistic goal, with the Yankees in our division.

Hadn't thought of that. I guess it is something to ponder. I hope there is a reason to consider it.

The Orioles did not get much help from other teams concerning the teams in front of them, but they gained a game in the magic numbers on the 3 directly below them. The magic number for playoff tickets that were bought yesterday and later today is down to 9!!!

Indians: Eliminated

Twins: Eliminated

Red Soxs: Eliminated

Royals: Eliminated

Blue Jays: Eliminated

Mariners: Eliminated

Rays: 8

Tigers: 8

Angels: 9

White Soxs: 10

A's (Top Wildcard Spot): 14

Yankees (Win the Division): 15

Texas (Best Record in AL!!): 18

It's that time of year... time to calculate the "Magic Number" that locks us into the playoffs!

For this, I'm just looking at a playoff spot. Obviously we have no magic number yet for the division as we trail (NY's magic number is 13, BTW). Since we are tied with Oakland and they were 5-4 against us head-to-head, we technically trail them for the 1st WC spot.

A "magic number" is any combination of Orioles wins and competing team losses. I'll update this thread daily. Today (9/21), it looks like this:

To eliminate the Tigers: 7

To eliminate the Rays: 8

To eliminate the Angels: 9

To eliminate the White Sox would be 10 but they are likely to win their division and probably don't play into the scenario.

Again, every O's win reduces the number by one. Every loss by that team reduces the number by one. Once all 3 of those teams are eliminated, the O's are in the playoffs!

The magic number for playoff tickets that were bought this week is down to 8!!!! We now have a 1 game lead for making those WC tickets a reality.

Rays: 7

Tigers: 7

Angels: 8

White Soxs: 8

A's (Top Wildcard Spot): 12

Yankees (Win the Division): 14

Texas (Best Record in AL!!): 16

The below is before the 9pm games on Saturday 22nd and prior to the Rays game ending. Cannot believe the Yankees came back to win that game.

Rays: 6

Tigers: 6

Angels: 7

White Soxs: 7

A's (Top Wildcard Spot): 10

Yankees (Win the Division): 13

Texas (Best Record in AL!!): 15

One game closer to the #1 seed in the AL.

I have a hard time cutting & pasting from the phone to move the Angles ahead of the White Soxs.

Rays: 6

Tigers: 6

Angels: 7

White Soxs: 6

A's (Top Wildcard Spot): 10

Yankees (Win the Division): 13

Texas (Best Record in AL!!): 14

For those who are interested, with 11 games to go here are the Orioles' magic numbers:

Orioles magic number for making the playoffs - 7

Orioles magic number for a wild card home game - 10

Orioles elimination number for AL East champ - 11

Orioles elimination number for best record in AL - 9

Archived