Magic Numbers and teams the Orioles have eliminated

csgordos

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I take it that's because Tampa and the Angels are tied in the WC standings behind the A's?

Everybody had shifted their focus to the Angles recently when the Rays went on a skid. But, they have gone on a winning streak and caught LAA. Almost everybody is hoping we go into Tampa with a magic # of 1 at the lowest. If we take care of our games and win the next 3, the worst we can do is be tied for the last playoff spot with our last three in Tampa.

Glad to see the Central teams out of it. I would have been really annoyed if one of them got a spot over us because of their weak division. At least if Oak, LAA or TB get in, you can say they've earned it.

Heck, it's going to be annoying anyway if we miss the playoffs while having a better record than the AL Central winner.

One thing is for sure, if the Orioles make the playoffs, they will have earned it. Nobody will be able to say they coasted in.

The pressure is still really on the Rays and Angels. They have tough road matchups this weekend.

Our magic number is 4 with 6 games left. That is a very enviable position to be in. If everything goes right we can clinch a playoff spot with the Robinson game on Saturday.

Now that the Central cannot get two teams in, effectively in order for the Orioles to make the playoffs there are only 2 teams that can keep the Orioles out of the playoffs: Rays and Angels. However, with that being said I am going to leave the magic number up for the Tigers because:

*WHEN (not if) the Orioles pass the Yankees for the division this year the magic number to clinch the #2 seed in the playoffs will be the number attached to the Tigers (IF the WS win the Division the Orioles already have a better record).

I decided to add another layer now with the Magic numbers the Division leaders need to win their division and Magic Numbers for those teams also to clinch a playoff spot. The Orioles is 3!!!

Magic # for Orioles Only------------Magic # to Win Division---------------Magic # Playoff Spot

Indians: Eliminated

Twins: Eliminated

Red Soxs: Eliminated

Royals: Eliminated

Blue Jays: Eliminated

Mariners: Eliminated

White Soxs: (Eliminated from catching the Orioles only)

Tigers: 1*-------------------------------------- 6

Rays: 3

Angels: 3

A's (Top Wildcard Spot): 5------------------------------------------------------------ 5

Yankees (Win the Division): 7-----------------6 --------------------------------------- 3

Texas (Best Record in AL!!): 9--------------- 3 --------------------------------------- 1

Texas can be the first AL team to clinch a spot in the playoffs tonight.

I am leaving for Disney with the family tomorrow, so feel free to update regularly if you feel that I am not being as quick with the daily updated magic number scorecard.

Updated after O's game win!!!

In a dream world, the Rays and Angels would've both lost tonight, and then both would've lost tomorrow afternoon, which would've given the O's a chance to clinch a playoff spot tomorrow night on Brooks Robinson Night.

Alas, that's no longer possible, since the Angels won tonight. The O's will have to wait until at least Sunday to clinch.

*With the Tigers loss tonight, WHEN (not if) the Orioles pass the Yankees for the division this year the Orioles have clinch the #2 seed in the playoffs.

I decided to add another layer now with the Magic numbers the Division leaders need to win their division and Magic Numbers for those teams also to clinch a playoff spot. The Orioles is 3!!!!

Magic # for Orioles Only------------Magic # to Win Division---------------Magic # Playoff Spot

Indians: Eliminated

Twins: Eliminated

Red Soxs: Eliminated

Royals: Eliminated

Blue Jays: Eliminated

Mariners: Eliminated

White Soxs: (Eliminated from catching the Orioles only)

Tigers: (**Eliminated from catching the O's) ---6

Rays: 2

Angels: 3

A's (Top Wildcard Spot): 5----------------------------------------------------------- 5

Yankees (Win the Division): 7----------------5--------------------------------------- 2

Texas (Best Record in AL!!): 8------------- 3 --------------------------------------- 1

Texas &/or the Yankees can be the first AL team to clinch a spot in the playoffs tomorrow.

I am leaving for Disney with the family tomorrow, so feel free to update regularly if you feel that I am not being as quick with the daily updated magic number scorecard.

Not updated for late A's game Friday night.

Oakland just won their game. Only external help today was from Chicago by beating the Rays. If I remember correctly, the most critical foes' fortunes were reversed on Friday from Thursday - MFY/LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/OAK won, and TB lost.

If they keep trading W's and L's, then the O's only need 1 win to get a WC outright and 4 to win the division outright. :D

Magic Numbers as I calculate them:

To win the AL East: 7 vs. Yankees

For the best record in the AL (both must happen) :

8 vs. Rangers

7 vs. Yankees

For the top WC spot (all of these must happen):

5 Oakland

3 LAA

2 TB

OR

8 Tex (because this means at least 3 O's wins, it eliminates LAA and TB, but Oakland wins the West with 5 wins.)

I believe other combinations are all redundant.

Archived