Cal Ripken: "Beltre the best third baseman he's ever seen. Sorry Brooksie."

CA-ORIOLE

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I grew up a huge Cal fan. Had a bad experience with him as a kid, so it soured me on Cal the person. Born and raised in Aberdeen, graduated from the same school as Cal and Billy. I know and talk to a lot of people that knew Cal and Billy. Billy has always been the down to earth guy, who hasn't forgot where he came from. Cal? Well he knows when the camera is on him, and he knows how to turn that camera face on and off. Lots of folks around Aberdeen call Cal, well ill keep it clean, and just go with snob. Aside from that, he has a right to his opinion. Just think the comment was poorly timed, and in bad taste, considering this was O's fans first shot in 14 years, to enjoy the national spotlight.

This times 10------perhaps jealous that Brooks is MR BALTIMORE and almost universally acknowledged as an equally great person

Some of you need to grow up and accept the fact that Cal is entitled to state an opinion, whether you agree with it or not. Cal is a major hero of mine, and him praising Beltre certainly doesn't change his stature with me.

We just won earned a spot in the ALDS and I read junk like is in this thread. Unbelievable.

Okay. I'm pausing........ I'm reflecting....... You're right. I should have said screw Vin Scully and the horse he rode in on.

When you reread this thread, after the alcohol has worn off, I'm sure you will realize how foolish you are making yourself appear. Until then, spare yourself more embarrassment and leave it alone.

I'll cut Cal some slack. I mean I am biased because he's a large reason why I am an Orioles fan but I think he was just trying hard and maybe a little too hard to be impartial. Beltre is a great fielding 3B but Brooks really was amazing and I know Cal knows that.

I've seen some weird comparisons to Brooks this year. First Machado, with a whole 2 months in the big leagues, and now Beltre. I remember when Mora was playing 3rd, he was being compared to Brooksie. I guess ya know you're a legend when everyone is being compared to ya. Long live Brooks Robinson, Mr. Baltimore, the greatest defensive 3rd baseman ever!

As for Vince Scully, I can't believe he never saw Brooks field a bunt with that one-handed pickup/ all-in-one motion throw to first base. Hell, he even started DP's on bunts to second-to first.

Good Lord. With the self-discipline a presidential candidate would envy, Cal spends his entire career going out of his way not to say anything controversial, negative, or impolite throughout thousands of interviews. He says one edgy thing, and people are ready to crucify him.

I was pretty shocked to hear his comment tonight, and I knew it would draw fire on here, but it was refreshing to hear him speak his mind for once. And I thought he and Smoltz were very good.

Nobody disses Brooks "The Human Vacuum Cleaner" Robinson! And I mean nobody! Not even HOF broadcasters!!! Anyone willing to accept such sacrilegious ramblings without a vigorous dissent should be stripped of their Baltimore Orioles' stripes! Sing with me: BRANDED! Marked with a coward's shame/ What do you do when your branded/ And you won't fight for Brooksie's name.

I've seen Brooks play, Cal play, Beltre play, and Manny play. Brooks was better than any of them. Just go and check BR 's TZ numbers if you don't believe me. Nettles was the only 3B I ever saw who could make a play that Brooks did regularly. Cal has become a media shill. Shame on him.

I think this is just sarcasm but did you know they would just trot Gerhig out for the 1st inning only so he could continue the streak. He wasn't actually able to play the same way as Cal.

Plus, Cal played shortstop! A much more demanding position. Seriously, folks, one heckuvan achievement.

Archived