Cal Ripken: "Beltre the best third baseman he's ever seen. Sorry Brooksie."

CA-ORIOLE

Just saw Cal interviewed live on the MASN pre-game show, was asked specifically about his Beltre/Brooks statements and the backlash from Orioles fans. Cal said that in his opinion, Brooks is still the greatest third baseman of all time, was just making more generally an observation on how far the game has come and how much of a physical specimen players are in general now and Beltre is in particular, said he was just trying to pay a compliment to Beltre's *fielding* and meant no disrespect to Brooks or insult to Orioles fans. Said that as far as fielding range and arm strength, Beltre is incredible, but that when you consider the intangibles such as positioning, cutoffs etc., Brooks is still arguably superior in the field and overall may be the greatest 3B of all time. I thought Cal did a really good job of 'explaining' his comments, to the extent that he even needed to.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish this topic would go away and we focus on what's going on on the field. Cal is a rookie color man. He understandably could muddle something he says in a three-hour broadcast.

All I know is that Cal represented this franchise as well as a human could be expected to, and that's why he's my hero. I'm not old enough to have watched Brooks. I wish I could have. But for me, Cal is my Brooks. I am sorry if some you old codgers got a little rankled.

I wish this topic would go away ......

and we focus on what's going on on the field. Cal is a rookie color man. He understandably could muddle something he says in a three-hour broadcast.

All I know is that Cal represented this franchise as well as a human could be expected to, and that's why he's my hero. I'm not old enough to have watched Brooks. I wish I could have. But for me, Cal is my Brooks. I am sorry if some you old codgers got a little rankled.

Buyers or sellers ??? :scratchchinhmm:

I wish this topic would go away and we focus on what's going on on the field. Cal is a rookie color man. He understandably could muddle something he says in a three-hour broadcast.

I think the point is that Cal should have had enough respect for Brooks to keep that opinion to himself. He could have said that Beltre was the best 3b he's seen in the last 30 years and the point would have been made without bringing Brooks into it.

The other thing that bothers me is that the statement is totally inaccruate imo.

Just saw Cal interviewed live on the MASN pre-game show, was asked specifically about his Beltre/Brooks statements and the backlash from Orioles fans. Cal said that in his opinion, Brooks is still the greatest third baseman of all time, was just making more generally an observation on how far the game has come and how much of a physical specimen players are in general now and Beltre is in particular, said he was just trying to pay a compliment to Beltre's *fielding* and meant no disrespect to Brooks or insult to Orioles fans. Said that as far as fielding range and arm strength, Beltre is incredible, but that when you consider the intangibles such as positioning, cutoffs etc., Brooks is still arguably superior in the field and overall may be the greatest 3B of all time. I thought Cal did a really good job of 'explaining' his comments, to the extent that he even needed to.

Thanks for posting this.

I wish Cal had never said it.

And make no mistake...there is only one Brooks.

Might I suggest that you go back and see what Cal actually said on the TBS Telecast. While Friday Night's comments could be labeled a backstabbing of Brooks, Wednesday Night's comments could only be labeled as a backtracking by Cal! He would have anyone who heard his comments on Friday believe that they didn't really hear them. Out of all the 3rd basemen to ever play the game, he decided to single out a Baltimore Icon to compare to the Ranger's third baseman! Friday Night, he opened his mouth and said some things he shouldn't have. The Oriole Fans who have been around long enough to have seen Brooks play, called him on his false comments! Now he's trying to lie his way out of it!

I'd personally would like to know "why" he said what he did. Does he really believe that Beltre is the best fielder ever; I don't think so... I'm my view after Brooks there were several really good 3rd baseman that were/are better fielders than him as well. Also, I don't think bigger, stronger, faster, etc. has anything do do with it either for the defensive part of the third baseman's game. So...why mention Brooks?!?

Archived