Cal Ripken: "Beltre the best third baseman he's ever seen. Sorry Brooksie."

CA-ORIOLE

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was taken back by what Cal said. But yeah of course he has an opinion like anyone else. You could make an argument that his may even be more informed. But as a fan I didn't like it. Not one bit. I think Cal was maybe trying to prove he wasn't just an Oriole, possibly give himself more credibility???

Sometimes (and granted its hard to explain)...but sometimes Cal just doesn't endear himself to fans. When I think of my favorite three Orioles players of all time Cal isn't on that list. For some reason I had to share that...FWIW. :)

I think this goes back to my original, overarching question, which is simply: Who cares? Honestly? Is Cal having a different opinion than you negatively affecting your life?

Well, you didn't know that the 11th Commandment was "Thou Shalt Not Put False 3rd Basemen Before Brooksie"? I guess he didn't either.

""

I grew up a huge Cal fan. Had a bad experience with him as a kid, so it soured me on Cal the person. Born and raised in Aberdeen, graduated from the same school as Cal and Billy. I know and talk to a lot of people that knew Cal and Billy. Billy has always been the down to earth guy, who hasn't forgot where he came from. Cal? Well he knows when the camera is on him, and he knows how to turn that camera face on and off. Lots of folks around Aberdeen call Cal, well ill keep it clean, and just go with snob. Aside from that, he has a right to his opinion. Just think the comment was poorly timed, and in bad taste, considering this was O's fans first shot in 14 years, to enjoy the national spotlight.

I was taken back by what Cal said. But yeah of course he has an opinion like anyone else. You could make an argument that his may even be more informed. But as a fan I didn't like it. Not one bit. I think Cal was maybe trying to prove he wasn't just an Oriole, possibly give himself more credibility???

Sometimes (and granted its hard to explain)...but sometimes Cal just doesn't endear himself to fans. When I think of my favorite three Orioles players of all time Cal isn't on that list. For some reason I had to share that...FWIW. :)

Billy makes it known on MLB network, he is an O's fan. But he still comes across very good doing analysts and color during games. He's good at it. Cal comes across bad at it, well because he is. Great player, HOFer, just not a good play by play guy.

So because you had the good fortune to listen to Scully for 28 years that makes him an expert on Brooks' fielding. I don't follow.

It makes me someone who has a very considered opinion when he concludes that the comment "Besides screw Vin Scully. Retire already" is uncalled for.

But, for a guy who said "Screw Vin Scully, retire already," I'm guessing it's probably asking a lot for you to do anything along those lines.

Okay. I'm pausing........ I'm reflecting....... You're right. I should have said screw Vin Scully and the horse he rode in on.

Archived