Cal Ripken: "Beltre the best third baseman he's ever seen. Sorry Brooksie."

CA-ORIOLE

As someone who has listened to Vin Scully for 28 years and counting I can say with confidence that this is the single most ignorant post I have ever seen on the Orioles Hangout and that is no small feat. Congratulation, this is like climbing Everest, K2 and surfing Mavericks all in the same day.

So because you had the good fortune to listen to Scully for 28 years that makes him an expert on Brooks' fielding. I don't follow.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This... this is seriously what we're upset about?

You know what? It's not like it's a crazy statement. It's not like he called Brooks awful. And it's not like he HAS to think Brooks was the best because he grew up an Oriole.

Some of y'all need to stop taking every little thing said so personal.

So because you had the good fortune to listen to Scully for 28 years that makes him an expert on Brooks' fielding. I don't follow.

I would trust Vin Scully's opinion over many, many people's opinions. Like yours, for example.

Not classy. Ripken is always careful to manicure his image and had an ulterior motive for his slight.

Ripken is not a good source to evaluate the relative merits of Robinson and Beltre. Ripken was born the same year (1960) that Robinson first went to the All-Star game. For most of Robinson's best years, Ripken was a child, no doubt with an already overweening ego.

Ripken turns out to be the kind of person who, when invited to a big Christmas dinner and reunion with old friends, tells the guests and host that the vegetables are overcooked and the meat is undercooked. What a cad!

Not classy. Ripken is always careful to manicure his image and had an ulterior motive for his slight.

Ripken is not a good source to evaluate the relative merits of Robinson and Beltre. Ripken was born the same year (1960) that Robinson first went to the All-Star game. For most of Robinson's best years, Ripken was a child, no doubt with an already overweening ego.

Ripken turns out to be the kind of person who, when invited to a big Christmas dinner and reunion with old friends, tells the guests and host that the vegetables are overcooked and the meat is undercooked. What a cad!

Or maybe he just has his own opinion and is not property of the Baltimore Orioles?

Oh Christ...

I might get warned or something for saying this but we just won a playoff game so I don't care. Who gives a **** guys? Rip has earned the right to state his opinion. Let's not act like Cal Ripken is not our idol/icon. And again we just won a playoff game. Who cares about anything else right now?!

I might get warned or something for saying this but we just won a playoff game so I don't care. Who gives a **** guys? Rip has earned the right to state his opinion. Let's not act like Cal Ripken is not our idol/icon. And again we just won a playoff game. Who cares about anything else right now?!

I swear to god winning has created a void in some people's lives and they need something new and inconseqential to ***** about.

Thank you. I'm proud of my hubris.

You should be! Gotta be tough to fit through doors, though.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. You, Cal, whoever. Maybe Cal values other things in defenders than you do? Maybe Beltre's better against the bunt because he has a stronger arm than Brooks did, which would make sense since players in general are much stronger and in much better condition than they were in the 60's. Maybe Cal values that more, kinda like how people value Cabrera's homers more, even though Trout was the better player this year. I know none of these things may actually register, but you know, pause and reflect on them for a moment.

But, for a guy who said "Screw Vin Scully, retire already," I'm guessing it's probably asking a lot for you to do anything along those lines.

Archived