Offseason Priorities

jcroemer

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get some guys who get on base. Wouldn't mind some guys who can run too. I do feel confident in Duquette's abilities to find the right guys.

We need a Brian Roberts type. I don't think Brian can be that. Ichiro really made the MFY's lineup much tougher. We need a tough out not so prone to swinging and missing with some speed.

We need a Brian Roberts type. I don't think Brian can be that. Ichiro really made the MFY's lineup much tougher. We need a tough out not so prone to swinging and missing with some speed.

Yeah, I agree. Roberts in his prime was good for a 350+ OBP and 25+ steals. Would love to find someone like that either via trade or FA.

We could probably get Kinsler for next to nothing if we pick up a lot of his ridiculous contract (5/70mil + 5 mil buyout). They want to make room for Profar and I think they'd rather move Kinsler than Andrus. Plus, Kinsler played for Buck. He had a bad year, and I'm not saying it's a good option, but I could see something like that happening.

Improve OBP. Period.

Our holes right now: LF, 2B, 1B, DH, and an elite starting pitcher.

We have a ton of bullpen options.

I really wish the Yankees don't pick up Cano's option. But they will.

You do everything possible to fill 1B, 2B, LF, and DH with OBP guys.

Well then why not Reynolds? OBP is .335 not great but not terrible and he has a plus glove there at this point. I think the odds also say he is likely to hit a few more home tuns next year as well. What other options do you see there. Not being critical just wondering. The free agent market is kinda thin at first.

Improve OBP. Period.

Our holes right now: LF, 2B, 1B, DH, and an elite starting pitcher.

We have a ton of bullpen options.

I really wish the Yankees don't pick up Cano's option. But they will.

You do everything possible to fill 1B, 2B, LF, and DH with OBP guys.

I like everything about this post.

How good would the O's be with a Robby Cano??? Never happen but one can dream........

One thing I'd like to prioritize is to find a way to get these guys to have a better approach at the plate. I think that would make a world of difference with the players we already have. The Yanks pitchers lived on the outside edge all series and noone made an adjustment.

1) Extend Buck through 2015

2) Resign McLouth for 1/3.5 with an option year

3) Sign Wieters for 5 years.

4) Add a 2B/3B for can hit lefties

5) Trade Betemit and Andino

6) Extend Hammel and Reynolds for a year plus an option year

7) Find the next Gonzo and McLouth and sign them to AAA contracts

I really like the plan of Machado at SS and moving Hardy to 2B, while going after Headley for 3B.

How about going after Laroche from the Nats? I am in agreement that we want to keep Reynolds for his defensive value, but Laroche could fill Thome's spot as the primary DH. He would be a much cheaper lefty bat than Hamilton but is still capable of putting up .300/30 and good OBP.

Alternatively, if we do not get Headley, Laroche could play 1B and Reynolds could shift back to 3B. In that case, Chris Davis becomes the DH (with healthy Markakis/Reimold playing RF).

I say keep the rotation as is. We can always try to make a mid-season trade if nobody emerges as a true #1. It's hard to say that SP is a weakness when our starters just put up sub-2.00 ERA in the playoffs, I don't want to pay for Greinke, and the other guys (Anibal Sanchez etc) just don't seem like clear upgrades over the guys we have.

Trade Britton and Arrieta, see what we can get. They are superfluous with Bundy still available to come up and take Saunders' spot.

The real thing that has to happen is for Jones, Wieters and whomever becomes the 4th or 5th hitter next year is to learn serious patience at the plate. We GAVE the Yankees the win, they didn't beat us, we simply didn't capitalize on the many, many, many opportunities that came down the pike.

Buck must stay.

We need two SPs. Keep Hammel, MGon and Chen. We could trade Tillman. Saunders goes. Trade Strop in a package with a few others.

We need two big bats. I truly believe this. Tigers have Cabrera AND Fielder. Jones needs protection. Better protection than Davis.

Reynolds - as much as I hate to say this - needs to be traded. His 1B defense was stellar, but lord, he stunk up the place.

Now, we should have Brob, Markakis, Reimold all healthy. We need to figure out what to do with McClouth, Andino, Lew Ford, Tolleson, Flaherty and Davis.

Clearly, Thome is done.

We have got a few holes. We need to plug them and get right back into it.

MSK

I see no reason to trade Tillman, and I see no reason to count on Roberts for anything. Reimold is iffy. Flaherty has three options now. Lew Ford is gone. Tolleson is at Norfolk if he wants to stay.

The offseason could be very entertaining, all the way to spring training.

Meanwhile, McLouth was pretty awful for two NL teams the last two years and his numbers aren't all that impressive in about 250 at-bats this year but he has a good 5 game series and we need to make him a priority.

Even at worst he works as a fourth outfielder for me.

Folks, hate to say this, but - BRob is done. Flaherty is your 2nd baseman, and you call up Schoop as your extra infielder.

Schoop starts in the minors until he's ready to start in the major leagues. He's not going to be brought up as a bench player, unless his development stalls.

The pitching isn't the problem on this team.

They need a legit number 3 hitter, possibly 4. But a number 3 is a priority. Preferably someone that murders LHP.

They also need to address 2B. Does Roberts have anything left? If not, I'm on the phone calling Boston about Pedroia and what its' going to take to move him.

The DH spot is the only other position you can address without losing someone in the positions you already are happy with. I'm looking at someone who can hit LHP but is a big league hitter and a tough out. The 3 hole is priority, but if you can find someone for that 4 hole that would be the icing on the cake.

The Orioles have every hitter for every spot except 3 and possibly 4. Those need to be addressed as you saw Davis although he was good this year, it might be too much to ask him to hit 3rd, same with Jones. I think Jones is a your prototypical number 5 hitter and would thrive in that role. Davis at the 6th hole. Wieters 7 or 8.

Resign McClouth... Sorry but he showed everyone he's a legit ball player for this team. You can't count on Reimold because he's never strung together any length of time on this roster. I see Reimold as the 4th OF on this team if healthy.

Archived