Offseason Priorities

jcroemer

One comment he made the other week that really stuck out to me was (please forgive me, I'm paraphrasing from memory".... "They have someone on this staff that will do a great job coming in behind me. I just hope they realize it." To me, that meant he sees this coach as the next head coach. Now, if you had intentions of signing a multi-year extension would you be lining up your successor already?

You're mistaken. He was talking about the Rangers and was referring to Ron Washington. I believe he was talking about it being the nature of the business, and not harboring any ill-will, and he said something like, "They had the perfect guy for the job behind me. I just hope they realize it."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please explain number 4.

If I were a betting man, I'd suspect he's talking about the press conference where Buck talked about the guy replacing him was the right guy, and many people here thought it meant that the O's had a successor ready to go. In reality, he was talking about Wash taking his job in Texas after he was fired. Many people read that quote the wrong way.

1) Without a doubt, the top priority is resigning Buck and it ain't even close.

2) Improve our AVG and OBP. We hit WAY too many solo HRs. We had 5 guys with 20+ HRs, two of which hit over 30, and yet no one with more than 85 RBIs. That's a ton of potential runs that we left on the table. Shane Victorino, Ichiro, Maicer Izturis, or Michael Bourn could help in that department.

3) Improve our speed. We have trouble scoring if we aren't hitting it out of the park- having the ability to manufacture some runs would definitely help. See the guys I mentioned for #2.

4) And the really obvious one, add a legit ace starter. Jake Peavy would be a good fit.

5) If Boras doesn't laugh and hang up the phone, discuss an extension with Weiters.

Some pretty good lists to start, although as Frobby mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't want to mess too much with the obvious team chemistry.

My favorite ideas already mentioned, 1. Extend Buck, 2. See if we can extend Wieters.

Now, normally I'd agree with finding an "Ace" but none of those names, not even Grienke would be worth the asking price. Pitching depth? Absolutely, always, always add quality arms whenever possible, but again, I am not sure any of the Free Agents are worth a modern market contract this Hot Stove season. Maybe via trade.

Hamilton is also extremely expensive, arrives with a lot of question marks, but it sure would be fun watching him play 81 at OPACY. Worth the money? Not so sure. Again, I normally would be all over a bat like that, yet the cost is a contract that could be more harm than good.

Mr. Angelos sounds sincere about helping his front office, I just don't think he has to spend like the Yanks to beat them.

The line above this one is a line I thought I would never, ever type.

-Don

Zack Grienke and Jake Peavy are being discussed (I think Peavy would cost less and be the better signing)... but two other names on the FA pitching list jump out at me too: Kyle Lohse, who is up in age but put up a terrific season this year, and Brandon McCarthy, who got hurt this season but is in the prime of his career and looked good for two years in Oakland. Are either of these pitchers viable targets?

The quote about Buck was taken out of context, as Malike pointed out, but I think DeMarlo Hale will be a manager somewhere at some point. I know Tito Francona thought very highly of him in Boston, and I believe our organization does too. Good baseball guys like that can't be stashed at third base forever.

Grienke is just to expensive....its not happening folks. He is going to want long term for big money. Paying him Cliff Lee, Halladay, CC, money is not a smart move for this team and I doubt Duquette gives it much thought. Lohse is a guy who should stay in the NL. I just don't see him being as successful in the AL

Peavy, McCarthy or Haren (if LAA does not exercise his option) could be interesting. Its a pretty decent pitching class and that could make one of those two a little more affordable. They might not be "Aces" but are pretty damn good. Peavy really intrigues me at the right price. Being 2 yrs out from that injury he could be even better than he was this year.

Far as this team having a true "Ace" the only way I see it happening is either by trading for a guy who has a couple years left on his deal OR the more likely scenario is developing one. Unless your playing with monopoly money like NYY, Boston, Philly, Dodgers, etc its pretty hard to sign a true "Ace" and still have enough budget left to field a half decent team. There is a reason those teams have 120+ million payrolls.

(Not necessarily in order of importance)

1. Extend Buck--We finally have a stable and capable managerial situation. Don't let that slip away

2. Extend McLouth--The guy's a gamer, brings an excellent approach at the plate, solid defense, and some speed on the base paths.

3. Sign a 2B and/or UTI--I'm a Robert Andino fan, but the offensive production just isn't there. I like Jeff Keppinger as a pick up. Other options are Adam Kennedy, Kelly Johnson, Freddie Sanchez (if healthy), and Marco Scutaro.

4. Sign or trade for a big bat with good approach--This is absolutely imperative, especially given what we saw this series. Positions for the upgrade could be at 1B, LF, and 3B (if there's some shifting). Hamilton is obviously going to be the name most bandied about, but I'd stay away due to a lack of durability. Some more modest offensive upgrades would be Mike Napoli, Kevin Youkilis, Eric Chavez, Cody Ross, and Nick Swisher. Youkilis would be my preferred FA option.

5. Sign or trade for a #1 or #2 starter--It doesn't seem as big a need right now, but the rotation still really needs that top of the rotation starter. Ryan Dempster, Zach Greinke, Shaun Marcum, and Anibal Sanchez are all decent options, along with Scott Baker and Jake Peavy if their options are declined. If James Shields' option is inexplicably declined, he's by far the #1 option out there.

For the first time in a while, the O's have some quality depth to trade from. With Hammel, Chen, Tillman, and Gonzalez likely locks for the rotation, Some of Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and Johnson will be odd men out. Also, bringing back McClouth leaves only one potential outfield spot for Reimold, Avery, and Hoes. Trading from those pools of players may give you enough assets to get the big bat or arm (or both).

There are good times ahead. Despite the loss, it's a good times to be an Orioles fan.

2) Improve our AVG and OBP. We hit WAY too many solo HRs. We had 5 guys with 20+ HRs, two of which hit over 30, and yet no one with more than 85 RBIs. That's a ton of potential runs that we left on the table. Shane Victorino, Ichiro, Maicer Izturis, or Michael Bourn could help in that department.

If the answer is Maicer Izturis, "Who should we sign to improve BA & OBP?" is not the question.

I think a real question is: what to do with Manny Machado? Do we keep him at third another year? Or put him at short where hopefully he is able to stay for a long period of time? Of course, moving Machado off third then creates a hole at third. I say we pick back up of pursuit of Chase Headley. Have Manny at short and either get rid of Hardy or move him to second.

Archived