Reds pushing for Bedard hard?

fewfirstchoice

Secondly, you don't trade Erik Bedard for 1 and 2-year filler.You trade him for premium talent-maybe 2 players but premium players-not homers and vottos.

I couldn't agree more. Maybe the trades we are hoping for just aren't out there now. I would take my chances waiting then accepting less than what we need. IMO

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not let Markakis play CF with Murton and Scott play the corners. I think it is a myth to think that Markakis won't hit as well if he is in CF vs RF.

Markakis isn't being moved and if Murton coul dplay RF, the Cubs probably don't sign Fukudome.

BTW, not sure why Votto is getting Casey comparisons...He has big time power...Casey does not.

Patterson's value doesn't go down if he's in CF. Good, young ML-caliber CFs are just as hard to find as 2Bs.

You're correct about Jones however, if things break in the M's favor here.

I don't mean to be rude, but have you ever met a Cubs prospect that you didn't think was going to be great? From reading most of the trade talk the last few weeks and your participation I have come to the conclusion that you are high on every player they have. This is a bit of an exaggeration, but I wouldn't be shocked to read on here that you were mad and felt the Cubs were being ripped off if they traded Bedard and Roberts for Patterson and another player straight up. I am sorry if I offend you, but this has been driving me nuts.

I hate this Cubs deal if it goes through by the way.

Secondly, you don't trade Erik Bedard for 1 and 2-year filler.You trade him for premium talent-maybe 2 players but premium players-not homers and vottos.
Bailey, Cueto, and Votto are all premium players. So are Jones, Clement, Morrow and Balentien. Getting back 2 of those type of guys plus 1-3 other guys ranging from intriguing to good depending on the first 2 you get back is pretty much the ideal trade for Bedard.

People still expecting or holding out for a Kemp, Kershaw, and LaRoche type package are going to end up keeping Bedard, which is a very, very risky move. There is very little chance his value goes up, no chance of getting MLB-ready talent even if it does, and a very big chance his value goes down between now and July.

Bailey, Cueto, and Votto are all premium players. So are Jones, Clement, Morrow and Balentien. Getting back 2 of those type of guys plus 1-3 other guys ranging from intriguing to good depending on the first 2 you get back is pretty much the ideal trade for Bedard.

People still expecting or holding out for a Kemp, Kershaw, and LaRoche type package are going to end up keeping Bedard, which is a very, very risky move. There is very little chance his value goes up, no chance of getting MLB-ready talent even if it does, and a very big chance his value goes down between now and July.

Ah, a voice of informed reason.

BTW, not sure why Votto is getting Casey comparisons...He has big time power...Casey does not.
Go back and look at Casey's first few years, thats the type of power Votto has. He's not a 35+ HR guy, but he should be a 25-30 HR type, which is what Casey looked like he would be after his first several seasons.

People are hearing Sean Casey comparisons and cringing because of what Casey is now, but he was a very productive guy early in his career, he just wasn't able to sustain it. Whether Votto will be able to continue that production is a whole different debate, but the comparison is a very apt one.

Helton had a .904 OPS in 5 minor league season with 25 homers in his five seasons with 994 at bats. He broke into the bigs at 23 years old.

Vott has a 861 OPS in six minor league seasons and hit 96 homer runs in 2553 at bats. Vottos first real action in the bigs was at 23 years old.

The problem is this: we have no "youth" at those positions anywhere remotely close in the minors.There is nothing to develop! Where is the Orioles' top-rated SS prospect folks? WHERE? Center? WHERE? Second base even? again-WHERE?

Your first point is very well taken. But what, in your mind, is "premium" talent? According to MILB.com, Votto is the no. 34 prospect in baseball, Cueto is no. 47. Where's the cutoff?

Me too. Or a left handed Konerko circa '04-'06.

I know this will sound crazy, but Cueto reminds me of Pedro a bit.

Same here, the Pedro that had injury problems starting at age 30. We might get 6-7 Pedro like seasons but then he'll break down. And we might not even get that. Bailey is a safer bet. The only reason he is having command problems is because of the work he's doing on his changeup.

Archived