Reds pushing for Bedard hard?

fewfirstchoice

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted by Frobby View Post

He turned 26 when the season ended. What I meant to say was that he had accumulated an .820 OPS through age 25, not that he'll be 25 next season. The point is that he hasn't hit what should be his prime yet and still he is putting up solid numbers.

I'm not in love with the guy, I just thought your "light hitting" comment was not warranted. We know what light hitting OFs look like.

Both Murton and Scott have decent platoon splits, but I think if you platooned them in LF and gave each some time at DH, you could get an .850 OPS in each spot.

As corner outfielders go, he's light hitting.

I dunno about that one. FYI

AL LFs hit .275/.335/.426 last year (a .761 OPS)

NL LFs hit .278/.358/.478 last year (a .836 OPS)

AL RFs hit .288/.359/.465 last year (a .824 OPS)

NL RFs hit .275/.344/.442 last year (a .786 OPS).

The NL LF is driven by Holliday, Bonds, Dunn, Lee and Soriano.

The AL RF is driven by Maggs and Vladdy.

Yes corner outfielders can generally hit. But they aren't all MVP type offensive players. A low-mid .800s OPS is basically above average wherever you put it, even an OF corner or first base.

I was just going to say the same thing. For me, the Cubs trade leaves me cold. The Reds trade is just fine.

The Reds trade would be ok with Maloney is the unnamed MiLer but if it is just some throw in, the trade really isn't that great.

I would prefer what the Mariners are offering, if they are indeed putting Clement and Jones on the board.

Jones is my #1 target if Bruce can't be had.

Way too much quantity and not enough quality in these moves, if they are indeed what is going to happen.

I agree with the general sentiment that we just have to do better than this CIN deal. Votto and Cueto are nice, but after that is all ???, we need more than that for our big trading chip.

IMO, we need to get Pie or Jones back in a deal or I will be dissapointed, we have no real CF prospects comin up to Bodymore anytime soon. I can live with Rowell/Snyder at 1st in the future.

I would like to get Encarnacion from the Reds at least for 3b. What do you guys think about sweetening a deal with lets say, a Reimold type prospect on our end to get the upper tier prospect we need?

The Reds trade would be ok with Maloney is the unnamed MiLer but if it is just some throw in, the trade really isn't that great.

I would prefer what the Mariners are offering, if they are indeed putting Clement and Jones on the board.

Way too much quantity and not enough quality in these moves, if they are indeed what is going to happen.

Obviously we don't know, but would you still feel this way if McPhail knew he was getting Pie in a Robert's deal?

He's 26 actually. I'm very much not a fan. Even if you do like Murton, which many around here seem to, he just makes no sense. With Scott and Markakis, where does Murton play? we need a CF, not another corner guy. Pie and Patterson or Pie and Gallagher are the only deals that make any sense.

Hey, with any luck Reimold steps up big and makes the OF situation even more ridiculous.

But that's okay. We are not building for 08. Everything doesn't have to make sense right away. We can live with a surplus at one spot and a hole at another.

Seriously, collect maximum talent, then spend a year sorting it out.

We are not building for 08.

We are not building for 08.

Really.

I think it's a tough call to say Jones/Clement > Cueto/Votto. In fact, both pairs offer high-quality, relatively low-risk value.

You're right, though - the Reds trade would be all the better with a non-fringe-y prospect on the back end. I personally think Stubbs is an intriguing #3 - he's a B- prospect (and the Reds 5th best according to Sickels) and while there are flaws in his game, he's already a + defender.

But, regardless, I don't think the Reds sacrifices any quality for its sheer numbers - especially relative to the Mariners deal (you appear to be higher on Clement than I am.)

I agree...the M's trade works for us more than any other package even if Cueto/Votto is slightly better in terms of prospect ranking than Jones/Clement.

I'm really leaning towards not trading Roberts yet. There is no market for him other than the Cubs right now. We should wait until the trade deadline.

Archived