Would anyone be willing to give Melky Cabrera a 1 year deal?

Dark Helmet

Really not wanting Melky Cabrera. That said the willingness of some on this board to entrust LF to McLouth when you consider that he has had approximately 50 or so productive games since 2009 is amazing. That's called a track record, the fact that it is due to injury is inconsequential, he was still non-productive.

I am all for having McLouth on the team. Just saying there needs to be a more viable option than another often injured backup LF (Reimold) if your gonna hand McLouth the starting job. Not having that around is a really good way to end up with Lew Ford or Steve Pearce back in LF. Thats an act we got away with once, my guess is that the encore will not be so well played.

I'm not saying I expect McLouth to be the .800+ ops guy he was in Pittsburgh, but to say that him hitting for somthing close to a .750-775 is unrealistic is a bit absurd to me. You have a guy who hit well his whole career, with the exception of two years where he was injured.

As for Reimold, I still like his approach at the plate and he hasn't actually been injured that often. He only has missed 2012 as a whole season and the September of 09. He's pretty much played a full season every other season if you combine his minor league and major league games. I wouldn't personally have a problem with a combination of Reimold/McLouth/other to start the season next year.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then you have invested almost nothing in a one-year contract and can cut him loose.

Except organizational integrity. Can't imagine signing a known roid head is too good for public relations.

Gotta wonder.. if a 40 year old fat roid junky like Colon can get 3$M guaranteed what in the world will Cabrera be getting... 7-8$M guaranteed?

We'll see about that, I'm not convinced that McLouth signs a one-year deal for less money than Cabrera.

Well, Colon got 3M with his failed test. Cabrera was definitely more valuable than Colon was so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the 6-7M range. Now I don't think a one year deal is going to get it done with McLouth, but a year with an option or something like 2/4-6 should IMO.

And what if Melky turns into the guy HE was the 3 years prior to his good year in Kasas City, when he was a .690 ops guy? You're also discounting McLouth's 07-09 numbers and his injuries in the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

My point is, McLouth is no more of a guarantee then Melky Cabrera is. I like Nate, but the thoughts of having to rely on a McLouth/Reimold OF, is very concerning to me.

Yea, the O's took a real beating in the papers when they extended Roberts.

Yeah. And the Yankees sure take a media beating for ARod, and bringing back Petitte. The days of shock and dishoner, when it comes to Ped's are over. I'd say most, if not every team in MLB has a Ped user, or former user on it's active roster.

Archived