Would anyone be willing to give Melky Cabrera a 1 year deal?

Dark Helmet

First, you have no idea when he started using PEDs. Second, if you are assuming that he started using PEDs at his statistical nadir, he was a 26 year-old coming off a single terrible season in a new league, who had previously shown some promise at a young age. He still got a big league contract. There was no reason to expect him to repeat such a terrible year when he had previously been a 4th outfielder or low-level starter at an age before most players are at their peak.

The Yankees had considered quite more than a 4th OFer. They wanted him to be a starter. He had over 600 PAs in 2007. I'd hardly call that 4th OFer status. After a decent season and what many people thought would propel him to the starting CF job in 2008 he couldn't hold on to it because he couldn't hit. He competed for the job again in 2009 but lost out to Brett Gardner.

The only years he has performed are now the only ones in question.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Yankees had considered quite more than a 4th OFer. They wanted him to be a starter. He had over 600 PAs in 2007. I'd hardly call that 4th OFer status. After a decent season and what many people thought would propel him to the starting CF job in 2008 he couldn't hold on to it because he couldn't hit. He competed for the job again in 2009 but lost out to Brett Gardner.

The only years he has performed are now the only ones in question.

A vast majority of players probably used peds to get their best seasons. Jay Gibbons and Brian Roberts did. Its not a coincidence, that Roberts had his best years around the height of the era, then went on to get a big pay day. Look, im not going to come down on these guys. If I was in their position, whete millions are at stake, id probably do the same. But, Brian Roberts is really questioning the fans intelligence, if he expects them to believe it was a one time thing. Look at Roberts minor league numbers, his first few in yhe bigs, then his explosion at 27 years old. And according to you, Melky didnt just turn into a good hitter at 26. So, I assume the same holds true for Roberts?

A vast majority of players probably used peds to get their best seasons. Jay Gibbons and Brian Roberts did. Its not a coincidence, that Roberts had his best years around the height of the era, then went on to get a big pay day. Look, im not going to come down on these guys. If I was in their position, whete millions are at stake, id probably do the same. But, Brian Roberts is really questioning the fans intelligence, if he expects them to believe it was a one time thing. Look at Roberts minor league numbers, his first few in yhe bigs, then his explosion at 27 years old. And according to you, Melky didnt just turn into a good hitter at 26. So, I assume the same holds true for Roberts?

No, it doesn't. The year before the so called explosion year he had 50 doubles and four years later he had 56, with 16 HR(his second highest total), while OPSing .807. He produced well after that one year.

No, it doesn't. The year before the so called explosion year he had 50 doubles and four years later he had 56, with 16 HR(his second highest total), while OPSing .807. He produced well after that one year.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Your going by the notion that Roberts is being honest, and only used steroids that one year. I for one, dont believe that for a second.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Your going by the notion that Roberts is being honest, and only used steroids that one year. I for one, dont believe that for a second.

That's right, but what evidence do you have on which to base your belief? You're telling me that having never tested positive he's guilty anyway? Curious, but ok. Or that if we go by murph's notion, people don't just try things one time? Ridiculous. I know plenty of people who tried marijuana once, didn't enjoy it, and never used it again. Not a far fetched concept. Some people's concept of guilt is very strong. Go and talk to some Catholics.

I look at PED use during the hight of the era as like exceding the speed limit but driving with the flow of traffic. With many if not most players at least experimenting with them, while MLB looked the other way, I don'regard it as such a big deal. Now it's different. MLB has made it cklear that they don't want PED use, and have rigid testing and penalties in place. Violators are not only speeding but exceding the flow of traffic as well.

I look at PED use during the hight of the era as like exceding the speed limit but driving with the flow of traffic. With many if not most players at least experimenting with them, while MLB looked the other way, I don'regard it as such a big deal. Now it's different. MLB has made it cklear that they don't want PED use, and have rigid testing and penalties in place. Violators are not only speeding but exceding the flow of traffic as well.

I'm not sure that MLB was looking at all, but point taken.

That's right, but what evidence do you have on which to base your belief? You're telling me that having never tested positive he's guilty anyway? Curious, but ok. Or that if we go by murph's notion, people don't just try things one time? Ridiculous. I know plenty of people who tried marijuana once, didn't enjoy it, and never used it again. Not a far fetched concept. Some people's concept of guilt is very strong. Go and talk to some Catholics.

I have the same evidence for my belief, as you do..none :). I just cant believe a persons word, who only came clean when they had to. Steroids and marijuana arent comparible. Steroids is taken as a regiment. One shot, and your not all of a sudden good. Roberts at 26, didnt just become what he never was in the minors and earlier in his career. And by your never tested positive reasoning, I guess McGwire and Sosa are being falsley accused?

I cheer for the uniform. If good guys are wearing it, bonus. Melky at something real reasonable and I'm cheering for him, we need guys who can get on base. I think the clubhouse has been claimed by Jones and a few others, I think worrying about someone messing it up is a reach.

I'd rather acquire someone for whom you have a reasonable idea of what kind of performance you're going to get. With Melky, it's a guessing game.

That's right, and there's this; from KLaw....

Melky Cabrera

Cabrera's 2012 season looked like a severe statistical fluke; he was thriving almost entirely on a spike in his batting average on balls in play, with his lack of patience and power exactly where they were prior to his trade to San Francisco...

...He's a poor center fielder who's just average in left or right. But despite the PED and makeup questions, every team should be willing to give him a one-year deal, as even a return to his 2011 performance level would allow him to play every day for some clubs.

Hmm, a one year deal based on what he did in KC. I'm not sure that wasn't a fluke, too. Maybe he was just better at hiding it.:slytf:

That's right, and there's this; from KLaw....

Melky Cabrera

Cabrera's 2012 season looked like a severe statistical fluke; he was thriving almost entirely on a spike in his batting average on balls in play, with his lack of patience and power exactly where they were prior to his trade to San Francisco...

...He's a poor center fielder who's just average in left or right. But despite the PED and makeup questions, every team should be willing to give him a one-year deal, as even a return to his 2011 performance level would allow him to play every day for some clubs.

Hmm, a one year deal based on what he did in KC. I'm not sure that wasn't a fluke, too. Maybe he was just better at hiding it.:slytf:

And what McLouth did in a month, is any more of a fluke? McLouth could easily go back to what he was the previous 3 years. I'd rather have Melky's KC numbers, than what McLouth did in the 3 years prior to a nice 3 or 4 week run. At 21 years old, Melky did have a .360 OBP in 130 games. It's not like, he NEVER had any skills, before the PED story.

And what McLouth did in a month, is any more of a fluke? McLouth could easily go back to what he was the previous 3 years. I'd rather have Melky's KC numbers, than what McLouth did in the 3 years prior to a nice 3 or 4 week run. At 21 years old, Melky did have a .360 OBP in 130 games. It's not like, he NEVER had any skills, before the PED story.

And what if Melky turns into the guy HE was the 3 years prior to his good year in Kasas City, when he was a .690 ops guy? You're also discounting McLouth's 07-09 numbers and his injuries in the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

And what if Melky turns into the guy HE was the 3 years prior to his good year in Kasas City, when he was a .690 ops guy? You're also discounting McLouth's 07-09 numbers and his injuries in the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

Really not wanting Melky Cabrera. That said the willingness of some on this board to entrust LF to McLouth when you consider that he has had approximately 50 or so productive games since 2009 is amazing. That's called a track record, the fact that it is due to injury is inconsequential, he was still non-productive.

I am all for having McLouth on the team. Just saying there needs to be a more viable option than another often injured backup LF (Reimold) if your gonna hand McLouth the starting job. Not having that around is a really good way to end up with Lew Ford or Steve Pearce back in LF. Thats an act we got away with once, my guess is that the encore will not be so well played.

Archived