Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

At the right price I am sure the Orioles will be in on Hamilton. Prob is that the bidding will extend beyond that comfortable price and likely very quickly. At that point the O's will move on as they should.

Cody Ross is interesting. Prob with him is that if you look at his splits (home vrs road) this year, thats a little worrisome IMO. I am not a fan of the idea of relying on McLouth and Reimold (injury history, inconsistent) but would rather rely on those two then sink 3yrs/25million or so into Ross.

Me Too!

Cody Ross is just average ..The Orioles have a bunch of interchangeable average type guys. They need a MOO bat that changes games. If not Hamilton then trade for one. I'd like us to bring back McLouth and roatate him between OF/DH to get his at bats and start Reimold at AAA.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing I see there, is Melewski trying to make something out of nothing on a slow day. How did Adams saying anything bad? All he saod was Hamilton is tough to figure out. He didnt say he was a bad guy. Then went on to basically say he doesnt know what the Rangers want to do. Whats he supposed to say? "The Rangers need to bring Josh back at any cost"?. That would be putting all the pressure on the guys that pays Adam's check. The Texas Rangers.

Melewski trying to downplay/denigrate an expensive free agent who most would like to be in on at the right number? Shocker!! I would have never guessed that.

He is about as close to a state sponsored propagandist mouthpiece for the owner and MASN as it gets, of course he is going to manufacture reasons for us not to sign him because that is his job. Protect Angelos at any cost, and lay the groundwork for the excuses when Pete won't open up the checkbook. Again.

Melewski is great at reporting in season, and once the offseason starts he is fairly useless because he is just towing the company line - we can't afford player X, the Orioles made a significant offer to player X but it was JUST short, player X wasn't a good fit, and cheap stopgap player X that we did sign is a much better option.

Just a stunning turn of events that Melewski was trying to "tamp down" and talk of Hamilton. Right. Heard it all before.

If we could get Hamilton at 5 years 20-25 per year then I say go for it. Anything more than that would be foolish in my book. Then again, what do I know. In DD we Trust

That is where I am at, but considering Fielder got 21.4 million last year I have yet to see one person explain why Hamilton deserves $25 million at 4 years older. Lots of people throwing out that number, but not much justification to back it up especially with the negatives involved.

5/100 or 6/120 is about as far as I would go.

That is where I am at, but considering Fielder got 21.4 million last year I have yet to see one person explain why Hamilton deserves $25 million at 4 years older. Lots of people throwing out that number, but not much justification to back it up especially with the negatives involved.

5/100 or 6/120 is about as far as I would go.

The main reason he "deserves" more is that MLB just signed a new TV deal that will be adding a significant amount of money to each team's coffers. Odds are good a couple of those teams will be willing to spend this money on Hamilton.

Dan Connoly talks about the big names in the past the Os failed to get. Every GM over the last 15 years has talked about getting competitive before buying free agents. That threshold has been passed. PA stepped in and forced Andy Mac to get Vlad and his bad knees. Peter did this to get the Os over the hump. It did not work but it showed Peter is getting antsy. PA came out of a 15 year hibernation to shake the hand of everyone in the locker room after the playoff game. It showed how much he wants this. The press is looking at the Os as business as usuall. I do not see it that way. I see an 80+ year old man who can taste a WS. I do not see Ross or Swisher filling LF in Peter's eyes. I see Mike Illich part II and I see Josh at the Trop in Orange and Black on opening day.

The main reason he "deserves" more is that MLB just signed a new TV deal that will be adding a significant amount of money to each team's coffers. Odds are good a couple of those teams will be willing to spend this money on Hamilton.

Maybe.... I tend to think that Hamilton will get less than Fielder did. He will get paid but not quite what he has in mind. Even if there were not question marks about him, the climate is kinda changing in regard to these types of deals.

I do think your going to start seeing a trend of teams being willing to pay more per year but less years. Especially for guys 30 and older. I tend to think that the teams that have that kind of money to throw around are looking at the lessons of ARod/Tex/Jason Bay/Werth etc and realizing that its ok to put out money for these kinda guys but the long term commitment is not. The Dodgers or Detroit are the only 2 teams I can see investing that much into Hamilton.

The Dodgers situation is unique. Lots of money infused via TV, a new ownership trying to win back a fan base etc. Detriot is also unique in that you have an owner willing to lose money to win a championship. I think a lot of teams like the Yanks, Red Sox, Angels regret some of those contracts and are less likely to step into that realm again. I could see teams like them offering guys a higher per year and less years.

Ok fair enough, but if Fielder's market was 21.4, all things being equal lets say Hamilton is worth....18-19?

So true market in 2012 is going to $25 million just because of that new deal?

That would represent about a 20% increase in annual compensation. That is a huge jump IMO.

It is just funny we have people here all day every day saying how risky he is, how injury prone, his age....yet they claim he will be getting 20% more than a 4 years younger Fielder did. It just makes no sense, unless they are just trying to manufacture arguments against signing him. I mean which is it? GM's are going to be doing these cost benefit analysis just like we are, and if he has all this risk like most people say I highly doubt anyone is paying him $25 million new deal or not.

If someone does, then at least a few GM's decided that the risk was overblown and his market adjusted accordingly.

And thats why id be ok giving Hamilton a 5/140 deal. The money is there. You add new revenues, to what PA has pocketed the last 14 years, I dont see signing Hamilton hamstringing the Orioles longterm.

Maybe.... I tend to think that Hamilton will get less than Fielder did. He will get paid but not quite what he has in mind. Even if there were not question marks about him, the climate is kinda changing in regard to these types of deals.

I do think your going to start seeing a trend of teams being willing to pay more per year but less years. Especially for guys 30 and older. I tend to think that the teams that have that kind of money to throw around are looking at the lessons of ARod/Tex/Jason Bay/Werth etc and realizing that its ok to put out money for these kinda guys but the long term commitment is not. The Dodgers or Detroit are the only 2 teams I can see investing that much into Hamilton.

The Dodgers situation is unique. Lots of money infused via TV, a new ownership trying to win back a fan base etc. Detriot is also unique in that you have an owner willing to lose money to win a championship. I think a lot of teams like the Yanks, Red Sox, Angels regret some of those contracts and are less likely to step into that realm again. I could see teams like them offering guys a higher per year and less years.

The Dodgers will land Grienke. But where would Hamilton play? The Dodgers is another example of MLB needing a salary cap. Four guys with 100+ mil contracts, and are likely to add Grienke.

Ok fair enough, but if Fielder's market was 21.4, all things being equal lets say Hamilton is worth....18-19?

So true market in 2012 is going to $25 million just because of that new deal?

That would represent about a 20% increase in annual compensation. That is a huge jump IMO.

It is just funny we have people here all day every day saying how risky he is, how injury prone, his age....yet they claim he will be getting 20% more than a 4 years younger Fielder did. It just makes no sense, unless they are just trying to manufacture arguments against signing him. I mean which is it? GM's are going to be doing these cost benefit analysis just like we are, and if he has all this risk like most people say I highly doubt anyone is paying him $25 million new deal or not.

If someone does, then at least a few GM's decided that the risk was overblown and his market adjusted accordingly.

I think another thing to consider, is supply. This is a poor FA market, so Hamilton may benefit from that too. Fielder wasnt even the biggest fish last year.

And thats why id be ok giving Hamilton a 5/140 deal. The money is there. You add new revenues, to what PA has pocketed the last 14 years, I dont see signing Hamilton hamstringing the Orioles longterm.

Uh..no. 4/88 w/ a 5th year team option is max the O's should go.

More numbers....Hamilton has averaged 122 games the past 6 years in the dead prime of his career. Fielder averages an amazing 160.

Using that that is an comparison vs Fielder, who plays in darn near every game every year, that is a 24% knock on his value if I am looking at it objectively.

Add in the age factor, another easy 10% off the top of my head.

If Hamilton gets $25 million (for more than 5-6 years) I will never advocate signing a premium free agent again. It would be completely ridiculous and not backed up by one shred of evidence to support it, except some crazy owner spending recklessly.

Something to consider - mainly for the folks who think Hamilton is a baseball god while at the same time thinking Cody Ross is the dictionary definition of mediocrity. Ross is and always has been a better hitter vs lefties than Hamilton - and it's not even close. Last year, the OPS difference was 1.010 vs .853. For their careers, it's .928 vs .808. And this is with Hamilton playing most of his career with Texas. Granted, more of their at bats are obviously against righties, and Hamilton is the better player, but I'd much rather pay 6 mil a year for Ross (which I think he'll likely ultimately get) than commit over 100 mil to Hamilton (which I think he'll likely ultimately get).

Archived