Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

We learned yesterday through various reports from the GM meetings that the Orioles are interested in Josh Hamilton and Cody Ross as possibilities in left field.

One is more realistic than the other. Care to guess?

It would be a tremendous reversal in front office thinking if the Orioles were serious about making a run at Hamilton. Executive vice president Dan Duquette indicated the day after Game 5 of the American League Division Series that the payroll wouldn't undergo drastic changes in 2013.

It's always possible that owner Peter Angelos gives Duquette the green light to throw big bucks at Hamilton, which he wasn't interested in doing last winter for Prince Fielder - despite reports that the Orioles were "all in" - but it's more likely that Hamilton will need to lower his expectations on a new contract.

Of course, the Orioles would like to plug Hamilton into left field and the middle of their lineup. That falls into the category of 'No you-know-what,' as manager Buck Showalter likes to say. But Ross would come much cheaper.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/11/revisiting-yesterdays-rumors.html

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much of an update, but Jon Heyman elaborated slightly on this news last night.

The Orioles figure Hamilton would be an excellent fit in their ballpark and that he might help break open all those tight games they were involved in last year when they still went 93-69. Orioles owner Peter Angelos has been waiting for an opportunity to make a big buy, and this could possibly be it. Foxsports.com first mentioned the Orioles as a viable possibility earlier Wednesday.

Alright, Peter. I'm glad you want to spend money. Really, I am. But let's not be stupid here. Hamilton shouldn't get more than a 4 year contract. Even in that contract, you gotta protect yourself with all kinds of clauses for cocaine and alcohol relapses. If you're really serious about this though, give the man 4/100. It's your money, and he unquestionably makes the team better.

I listened to the interview as it happened; I don't think that's how Mike Adams intended his comments to be; and I don't think that was his line of thinking.. Jim and Casey were practically baiting him into saying something negative; and as soon as the interview was over Jim took what he needed and spun it negatively. That's just my opinion.

What really matters is how he is perceived by PA.....

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/source_josh_hamilton_cody_ross_on_orioles_list/12152161

Statistically, the 31-year-old Hamilton is top position player available on the open market.

....In the past, Orioles owner Peter Angelos has emphasized the importance of clean medical records and personal conduct before acquiring players.

Unless Angelos is convinced of Hamilton's health and sobriety it might not matter.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-throwing-some-cold-water-on-josh-hamilton-as-an-oriole-20121107,0,4440288.story

Like I said, with PA as owner sounds about right.

Well, I don't know what all the furor is about. Twice during the interview Adams calls Hamilton "a special talent" and then followed that up with "I'd love to have Josh Hamilton on my team". Even when he made the comment about not knowing what you are going to get with Josh, he qualified it with "...and that's not to be negative".

Yep, pretty damning stuff. Sounds like Hamilton is a horrible teammate.:rolleyes:

The only thing I see there, is Melewski trying to make something out of nothing on a slow day. How did Adams saying anything bad? All he saod was Hamilton is tough to figure out. He didnt say he was a bad guy. Then went on to basically say he doesnt know what the Rangers want to do. Whats he supposed to say? "The Rangers need to bring Josh back at any cost"?. That would be putting all the pressure on the guys that pays Adam's check. The Texas Rangers.

Problem is that Hamilton is a Jaguar. Hell of a nice car, great performance, awesome looks. But you spend waaaaaaayyyy too much of your time admiring your $60k from the waiting room of the local British car mechanic. And in three years you end up selling it on Craigslist for half of blue book.

And is wired all wrong.

At the right price I am sure the Orioles will be in on Hamilton. Prob is that the bidding will extend beyond that comfortable price and likely very quickly. At that point the O's will move on as they should.

Cody Ross is interesting. Prob with him is that if you look at his splits (home vrs road) this year, thats a little worrisome IMO. I am not a fan of the idea of relying on McLouth and Reimold (injury history, inconsistent) but would rather rely on those two then sink 3yrs/25million or so into Ross.

Archived