Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll believe the Yankees are cutting payroll when I see it. That said, they probably already know they're going to be regretting some contracts and possibly at this time could be gun shy on such.

They do want Rivera to take a pay cut.

I think it is in their best interest to get under the threshold for one year, as that would reset the penalties.

. The Yankees are said to be against the lux tax threshold. They have publicly said they dont want to pay the tax. Im certain a extra 25 mil will push them way over.

H

The year for the Yankees to get under the luxury tax threshold in 2014 when it raises to 189M. As long as they structure long term contracts like Hamilton's, Cano's and others to have low salaries in 2014 the luxury tax resets to zero. Here is an article that explains it.

2) For the first time, under this labor deal, a team that drives its payroll below the threshold, even for one year, can hit the reset button. So if it then goes back over that threshold in a future season, it's treated as a first-time offender and taxed at only 17.5 percent. (

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings120113/why-yankees-red-sox-spen

So it not a matter of the Yankees not spending. Its a matter of the Yankees structuring their long term contracts to be low in 2014.

Remember that the new TV contract will paid them an additional 25M in 2014. They can spend in 2013 and repay it when the salaries are lower in 2014.

So I don't see the luxury tax keeping the Yankees from signing Hamilton.

Sounds like a token offer and that the Rangers don't want him back at all.

Yet some other team looking at that is going to pay him 7/$150 million?? Not happening.

The worst thing that could have possibly happened for Hamilton was Texas' current stance on wanting him back.

The year for the Yankees to get under the luxury tax threshold in 2014 when it raises to 189M. As long as they structure long term contracts like Hamilton's, Cano's and others to have low salaries in 2014 the luxury tax resets to zero. Here is an article that explains it.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings120113/why-yankees-red-sox-spen

So it not a matter of the Yankees not spending. Its a matter of the Yankees structuring their long term contracts to be low in 2014.

Remember that the new TV contract will paid them an additional 25M in 2014. They can spend in 2013 and repay it when the salaries are lower in 2014.

So I don't see the luxury tax keeping the Yankees from signing Hamilton.

Every single report I have seen said the Yankees want nothing to do with Hamilton, and are not in the mix. If you can find one that says otherwise please post it.

The worst thing that could have possibly happened for Hamilton was Texas' current stance on wanting him back.

There has been some good research showing that free agents who switch teams are not as productive as those who re-up with their current team. If the team that knows you best has tepid interest in your continued employment that's often with good reason.

They do want Rivera to take a pay cut.

I think it is in their best interest to get under the threshold for one year, as that would reset the penalties.

The paycut has more to do with Rivera being what 41 and coming off missing most of the 2012. The Yankees in the end will spend if needed. Supposedly they didnt want to increase payroll at the trade deadline, yet they went out and got Ichiro in a Seattle salary dump.

The paycut has more to do with Rivera being what 41 and coming off missing most of the 2012. The Yankees in the end will spend if needed. Supposedly they didnt want to increase payroll at the trade deadline, yet they went out and got Ichiro in a Seattle salary dump.
Suzuki, 38, is in the final year of a five-year, $90 million contract, but the Yankees will pay only $2.5 million of what remains, and the two players they gave up are not their top prospects.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/sports/baseball/ichiro-suzuki-acquired-by-yankees-in-trade-with-mariners.html

It wasn't a salary dump for the Mariners as much as it was giving Ichrio the trade to a contender it wanted. Also the Yankees taking on 2.5 Mill for the 2012 season doesn't impact them trying to get under the cap in future seasons, they already were over the cap for 2012 when the deal was made.

Every single report I have seen said the Yankees want nothing to do with Hamilton, and are not in the mix. If you can find one that says otherwise please post it.

IIRC, Yankees weren't reportedly in on Teixera, either, until they signed him.

There has been some good research showing that free agents who switch teams are not as productive as those who re-up with their current team. If the team that knows you best has tepid interest in your continued employment that's often with good reason.

:agree:

And this is exactly why I don't touch Hamilton unless he agrees to a 4 year or less deal. Let the Yankees spend 150 on another aging vet!

Archived