Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/sports/baseball/ichiro-suzuki-acquired-by-yankees-in-trade-with-mariners.html

It wasn't a salary dump for the Mariners as much as it was giving Ichrio the trade to a contender it wanted. Also the Yankees taking on 2.5 Mill for the 2012 season doesn't impact them trying to get under the cap in future seasons, they already were over the cap for 2012 when the deal was made.

I wasnt saying Ichiro effected the luxary tax. My point was, the Yankees said one thing and did another. They like people thinking there out of it. They know agents will always come to them and ask them if they want to beat it. More timez then not, they beat the offer.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The year for the Yankees to get under the luxury tax threshold in 2014 when it raises to 189M. As long as they structure long term contracts like Hamilton's, Cano's and others to have low salaries in 2014 the luxury tax resets to zero. Here is an article that explains it.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings120113/why-yankees-red-sox-spen

So it not a matter of the Yankees not spending. Its a matter of the Yankees structuring their long term contracts to be low in 2014.

Remember that the new TV contract will paid them an additional 25M in 2014. They can spend in 2013 and repay it when the salaries are lower in 2014.

So I don't see the luxury tax keeping the Yankees from signing Hamilton.

You were right WC ...I stand corrected ...Still I dont see the Yanks connected to Hamilton.

The press surely doesn't think the Yankees will be in on Hamilton. The only way the O's have a chance at him is if the Yankees do stay out of it.

If Josh and his wife worry about temptation and sobriety for Josh. I would hope they know that NY might not be the best situation for Josh, no matter the money. Just having to answer the NY medias questions about his past alone, would be enough to make him want to drink. The first slump he has, and the headline would be " Josh doesnt need a drink to stumble at the plate". Id hate to see what NY does to him. And I mean as a human being.

Archived