Torii Hunter to the Tigers

Can_of_corn

FOX Sports: MLB ‏@MLBONFOX

Not unexpected. Tigers are still in win now mode.

I would have liked Hunter in LF for Baltimore next year, but not at 13 million per. Detroit has put themselves in a postion where they will continue spending bad money in order to get a ring. There is nothing wrong with that as long as ownership is willing to foot the bill. On the other hand it is only a two year deal, not really the end of the world.

My thing is, several teams have shown a willingness to really spend crazy money to build these "super" teams, and for me it does not add up. Maybe I am alone on this, but when was the last time a team like this won the World Series? I want to see the O's open up the wallet this year but not for the sake of just spending.

I would have liked Hunter in LF for Baltimore next year, but not at 13 million per. Detroit has put themselves in a postion where they will continue spending bad money in order to get a ring. There is nothing wrong with that as long as ownership is willing to foot the bill. On the other hand it is only a two year deal, not really the end of the world.

My thing is, several teams have shown a willingness to really spend crazy money to build these "super" teams, and for me it does not add up. Maybe I am alone on this, but when was the last time a team like this won the World Series? I want to see the O's open up the wallet this year but not for the sake of just spending.

Last Yankee title, after they added the top three free agents that offseason.

My thing is, several teams have shown a willingness to really spend crazy money to build these "super" teams, and for me it does not add up. Maybe I am alone on this, but when was the last time a team like this won the World Series?

2009. They even made a movie about it.

In 2012 it's kinda funny. You have one team that mega splurged on big names (Angels) that somehow still missed the playoffs, and you have a team that spent a ton like Detroit that made it to the World Series. Mega spending definitely doesn't guarantee a WS title but can definitely be a sound strategy if you cherry pick the right FA.

2009 and before that 2001. Yes,it was nice to see the Diamondbacks end the Yankee Dynasty (seeing Jeter's face was priceless) but the fact remains that World Series was just as bought as the 09 one,even more so in a way.

In 2012 it's kinda funny. You have one team that mega splurged on big names (Angels) that somehow still missed the playoffs, and you have a team that spent a ton like Detroit that made it to the World Series. Mega spending definitely doesn't guarantee a WS title but can definitely be a sound strategy if you cherry pick the right FA.

The Tigers won 7 fewer games in 2012 than in 2011, and made the playoffs only because the rest of their division stunk. They had the 7th best record in the league. I don't think Detroit picked the "right" free agent, compared to the Angels (who won one more game than the Tigers), they just played in the right division.

As to the Hunter move, so long as they can afford him, it's not a bad move. He's better than Delmon Young, to be sure.

Archived