Bedard unlikely to be traded by opener

wildcard

AM is just posturing...........a satisfying trade will happen.

ABSOLUTELY - Thank you for not overreacting to the (expected) propoganda. Mac Phail is a career baseball man. This is the next logical step in the dance. Last week in an interview he pointed out how in the Frank Viola trade he got Aguilera and Tapani who eventually helped him to win the World Series. David West' date=' the big name in the trade flopped. Mac Phail is ([b']As Peace has pointed out over and over[/b]) going to get quantity and quality. He isn't happy yet, so the dance continues. What is the rush? There is always the risk of injury, but we are a year ahead of where the Twins are with Santana. No reason to panic. It will get done, and it won't be next offseason. Just relax and listen to Peace and Belkast and Big Bird. They know what they are talking about.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean to ruffle feathers with this post, but I thought I'd give my outsider opinion on this one... seeing as how I'm a Cubs fan and all.

Not trading Bedard before the season is most likely a colossal mistake.

Bedard is a very good pitcher, but the odds are that last year was probably his career year. Also, being an injury risk, it's just extremely unlikely that he increases his trade value by enough to get the same players being offered now. Teams aren't going to give up the same value they're looking to now if they only get Bedard for a season, or even a season and a half. And if he reverts to a 3.75 ERA pitcher and then gets terribly injured and misses a month or two (or longer), his value is going to shoot down even further.

The fact of the matter is that this is the perfect sell high situation... and barring some extreme luck on your part, it'd be a mistake to hold him... even just til opening day.

Issues and decisions like this are why Andy MacPhail makes the big bucks, and I'm just a dumb old fan. :eek:

I'll continue being that dumb old fan regardless of which direction he takes the team.

No reason whatsoever to get as upset as some of you seem to be getting.

Well, I'm a dumber fan than you are! So there!

I got up late and was not-very-surprised to see The Usual Suspects wetting their pants. Lotsa people say they want the "best deal available". Whatever that is, we don't know. But they want it anyway.

Once whatever trades get done, and we find out exactly who the prospects are, I can't wait to see how people react after that. That will be great fun. Once we get whatever we get, and we're in the middle of 162 games of kids playing like kids, that's when the real fun will start. I predict with 100% confidence that the most of the Very Same People who want to trade proven stars for less-than-top-tier kids now are gonna be wetting their britches when they see what happens on the field. I'll eat crow without any condiments if that doesn't happen. Anybody can feel free to bookmark this and throw it in my face later. You think the panic we see today is bad? You ain't seen nothing yet ;-)

Im amazed that some here are panicing from this story. You all are smarter than this, I know you are. How often do things change at the last minute in this game? All the time. This article does not tell me anything. Its just a Saturday piece to fill space in the Sun. This is called the art of posteruing and should not cause concern. Even if Bedard isnt traded by OD, he will probably be packing to go pitch for a team at the deadline. Im still confident that Roberts is traded too. Nowhere in that article does it state he isnt being dealt. Be patient lets see how the Reds and M's react to this move by AM.

Which is my point. We simply don't know what has really happened during the discussions with other GMs. Even Bedard's agent doesn't know what's being talked about.

This is complete and total non-sense ... we have insiders and published reports with complete speculation ... we know.

;)

Im amazed that some here are panicing from this story. You all are smarter than this, I know you are. How often do things change at the last minute in this game? All the time. This article does not tell me anything. Its just a Saturday piece to fill space in the Sun. This is called the art of posteruing and should not cause concern. Even if Bedard isnt traded by OD, he will probably be packing to go pitch for a team at the deadline. Im still confident that Roberts is traded too. Nowhere in that article does it state he isnt being dealt. Be patient lets see how the Reds and M's react to this move by AM.

Nice! That pretty well sums it up. Christmas season is not a trading deadline. The deals will still get done. I get as anxious as the next guy, but really, it will still get done. Breathe deeply......

You are correct, but earlier in the thread Peace21 was stating:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1138840#post1138840

I can see how the Peace quote can be read but it very much could read as Jones and Clement and Morrow are being talked since Peace only said their names are on the table. That in turns means that those guys are not necssarily being offered all together.

Perhaps by "opening day", The Sun is referring to the day kids spring out of bed at the crack of dawn to open up presents under the Christmas tree.

I still think there's a good chance that when the season opens against the Devil Rays on March 31, Bedard will be healthy and ready to take the ball, but he won't be wearing a black hat with an orange bird on it.

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone is panicking.

I believe that everyone knows deep down that GM's are posturing through the newpapers. This is just a vehicle for some to vent their frustration.

After all these years of empty promises by PA and awful results- some want stuff to happen overnight.

Some just knee-jerked and spewed frustration, thats all.

Nice! That pretty well sums it up. Christmas season is not a trading deadline. The deals will still get done. I get as anxious as the next guy, but really, it will still get done. Breathe deeply......

Just a reminder, the Tejada deal was done in just about two hours two weeks ago. Yeah the O's and Astros had conversations in Nashville. But the night before that deal was made Tejada and Bedard we going out West. But it fell through, and AM quickly made the deal with Houston that Wednesday morning. So things change at any time. Plus AM has a family too and has to christmas shop, let the man spend time with his fam and let the Bavasi's and Krivsky's of the world ponder Erik Bedard over the Holidays. Its not like AM is begging these teams to take him off his hands.

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone is panicking.

I believe that everyone knows deep down that GM's are posturing through the newpapers. This is just a vehicle for some to vent their frustration.

After all these years of empty promises by PA and awful results- some want stuff to happen overnight.

Some just knee-jerked and spewed frustration, thats all.

I know but the Title of the article in the Sun and on this thread send people into a frenzy.

Just a reminder, the Tejada deal was done in just about two hours two weeks ago. Yeah the O's and Astros had conversations in Nashville. But the night before that deal was made Tejada and Bedard we going out West. But it fell through, and AM quickly made the deal with Houston that Wednesday morning. So things change at any time. Plus AM has a family too and has to christmas shop, let the man spend time with his fam and let the Bavasi's and Krivsky's of the world ponder Erik Bedard over the Holidays. Its not like AM is begging these teams to take him off his hands.

Peace, I understand what you're saying. I really do. But until MacPhail gives me an indication that the O's are on the right track, I'm going to be deeply skeptical.

And yes, waking up to the article from The Sun didn't help things either.

Archived