Bedard unlikely to be traded by opener

wildcard

Peace, I understand what you're saying. I really do. But until MacPhail gives me an indication that the O's are on the right track, I'm going to be deeply skeptical.

And yes, waking up to the article from The Sun didn't help things either.

The Tejada deal should have done that

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that both Seattle and Cinncinati newspapers continue to talk about Bedard in trade discussions is a good sign. Neither team has ruled out obtaining him. Today's Cinn Enquirer and the Seattle Pilot yesterday both refer to ongoing trade talks. Enough said....and it will continue awhile longer. Morrow is being stretched out in Venezuela to be a starter and is doing pretty well. The Mariners don't want to trade him...so they say. Do we have to have him in the deal? The Enquirer says the Reds may now be willing to put a deal together including one of their 4 young starters now that they have acquired Volquez from the Rangers. Which of the Reds starters do we hold out for?

The fact that both Seattle and Cinncinati newspapers continue to talk about Bedard in trade discussions is a good sign. Neither team has ruled out obtaining him. Today's Cinn Enquirer and the Seattle Pilot yesterday both refer to ongoing trade talks. Enough said....and it will continue awhile longer. Morrow is being stretched out in Venezuela to be a starter and is doing pretty well. The Mariners don't want to trade him...so they say. Do we have to have him in the deal? The Enquirer says the Reds may now be willing to put a deal together including one of their 4 young starters now that they have acquired Volquez from the Rangers. Which of the Reds starters do we hold out for?

Do you have a link to either of those articles? Thanks in advance.

I still think there's a good chance that when the season opens against the Devil Rays on March 31, Bedard will be healthy and ready to take the ball, but he won't be wearing a black hat with an orange bird on it.

Boom Boom, you're mostly a reasonable guy, no doubt about it. But this time I think you're discounting the risk that he could fall down and break his elbow when he's carrying the Christmas tree out to the trash. Plus, he's only got 2 years on his contract which, as several posters have demonstrated, is basically the same as 10-minutes. Two years? Ten minutes? They're both just time measures, so they're the same thing. All we know for sure is that he's gonna pitch like crap in 2008, we're just waiting to see why, that's all. Maybe because of injury, or maybe because he hates the new pitching coach. But it's gonna be one or the other. Therefore, I think the smart thing to do is to wet our pants now. That way, they'll already be wet when we wet them the next time. Which I'm betting won't be long from now. And if you don't wet your pants, that means you want 10 more years of losing. So, I think you better re-think your position on this.

Do you have a link to either of those articles? Thanks in advance.

Here's the Cinci one:

The hang-up on getting a deal done with Baltimore is the Orioles' insistence on Bruce. The Reds are much less likely to give him up now, but they might be more willing to move Bailey - now that they've added another pitcher of his quality.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071222/SPT04/712220409/1062/SPT

It's the same old same old, we are still being unrealistic and asking for Bruce, though they said Bailey might be available now. I thought he always was...

Here's the Cinci one:

The hang-up on getting a deal done with Baltimore is the Orioles' insistence on Bruce. The Reds are much less likely to give him up now, but they might be more willing to move Bailey - now that they've added another pitcher of his quality.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071222/SPT04/712220409/1062/SPT

It's the same old same old, we are still being unrealistic and asking for Bruce, though they said Bailey might be available now. I thought he always was...

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

I don't have time to read through this entire thread right now, but here is my take on this.

1) If WE had the players the Cubs have, and the Cubs had Roberts, I would trade them in a heartbeat to get Roberts. That tells me the deal is not good for the O's.

2) Same for Bedard. The offers being made to us are not enough for the 2nd best lefty in the game.

3) Mora is an attitude problem and part of the problem. Moore NEEDS to be playing third base, and if Mora is still here, either Moore gets benched, or Mora is benched and causes even more problems with his complaining. He needs to go for whatever we can get.

4) Although I agree with MacPhail playing hard ball with Roberts and Bedard, the problem is without trading either of them, we are still stuck with Millar at first, Hernadez at SS, and Redman or Bynum in center, as well as Huff, Mora, and Payton all "female dogging" about playing time! THAT will be a huge problem for Trembley who is trying to get young guys who hustle and play hard.

5) Bottom line for me....

a) I am glad MacPhail is playing hardball for Bedard, but before Opening Day, if the other teams do not anti up, he must fold his hand and settle for the best available offer.

b) If you do not get what a huge deal for Roberts, you keep him. I think the guy could be a lifelong Oriole, ala Cal and Brooksie, just not as talented.

c) Payton, Mora, and Gibbons need to be dealt for whatever you can get. They are of more value OFF th eteam then any player we can get back for them.

d) Tex needs to be signed next offseason at all costs, so I am fine with another year of Millar at first.

e) I am also fine with Huff at DH and speliing Moore from time to time at third.

f) We MUST get a SS and CF in the Bedard trade. If that's ALL we get, so be it, but they should be solid prospects that can immediately start.

Like most, I am completely righting off 2008, but 2009 needs to look something like this..

1b: Tex

2b: Roberts

3b: Moore (or some other young buck)

ss: Young buck aquired in Bedard trade

C: Weiters

lf: Scott

CF: Young buck aquired in Bedard trade

RF: Kakes

First of all, it is just Andy closing up shop for the holidays. Its his parting shot to other GMs. He doesn't feel so bad taking 2 weeks off if there is no deal on the table worth taking.

Second, it is no secret that I want the O's to keep Bedard thus the :) . But its a long way to opening day. Let's see what happens in January. Enjoy your holidays. It ain't over.

I don't think it's over at all, just making fun of your usage of a :) . ;) You have a wonderful holidays as well.

A few more things about AM holding onto Bedard:

1. Santana is still out there. If the mfy's or bosux get him, the other will make a phone call that same day to AM. Especially if he goes to the boston. Young steinbrenner is going to want to take action. I don't totally believe that we won't deal Bedard to one of them, but it is good to make them think we won't. This means, price for Bedard goes up.

2. There have to be teams out there like the Dodgers, Angels, Rangers, Cubs, Phillies, Mets, Padres, Rockies, etc. that have to be thinking have we done enough. They may be talking like they have at this moment, but reality sets in when you are sitting behind your desk and going over scenario's and other rosters. Does anyone believe that all of these teams don't think about what it would take to add Bedard. Maybe they don't have enough, but getting them thinking what kind of multi-team deals, etc. would help us get Bedard makes the value of Bedard go up.

AM doesn't need to rush this. As many have said, Bedard is our only real bullet. We don't even really have any pellets, just bb's. He has to be very smart with this deal. I'm really surprised so many of the intelligent posters on here don't seem to understand this.

Here's the Cinci one:

If the trade makes Bailey available - along with Cueto, that could be to the O's advantage. A package of Bailey, Cueto, and Votto would be outstanding - and maybe the O's add in things that they can easily afford to give up - like Millar and a pitching prospect like Beato.

Thanks JTrea for giving the link to the Cinncinati Enquirer. The link to the Seattle Pilot paper is seattlepi.com. Go to sports and Mariners in the drop down window. The left margin should have 12/21 Morrow stretching out in Venezuela story and a couple of Silva stories. Bedard is mentioned in a couple of these stories and the owner is quoted as saying Bill Bavasi is working hard to get us another top starter. They also say they think the Santana chase is not going to happen and it's way too much money in salary for him. Answer - Bedard. The blogs are really good on this site on the right side of the page. Most seem to think giving up Morrow is okay since he has mostly been a reliever and may not be able to be a starter going the extra innings. He is being held to five innings in each start in Venezuela and is doing pretty well.

I hope Krivsky, the Reds Gm , is reading OH because Seattle is going to make their best offer soon. If he wants to move the Reds up the ladder he will Get Bedard and stop delaying or Seattle will get EB.

Archived