Bedard unlikely to be traded by opener

wildcard

Define this....What package do you think we should get from the Reds or Mariners?

This is the exact logic that has plagued this board since the winter meetings. It's easy for me to sit here and name 4 names of players that I want, then say "get er done andy!" but that's just not realistic. That being said, this is the package I would hold out for:

Reds: Bailey/Cueto, Votto, EE, and another top 10 prospect to go along with a salary of either Payton or Huff.

Mariners: Jones, Clement, Morrow/Balentin, and another top 10 prospect and Payton/Huff's salary.

These are the deals I'd demand. And from the looks of things via insiders and general newspapers (a la the sun saying Mcphail isn't happy with the offers thus far) we're not getting anything remotely close to that. I'm not just giving away Bedard for a "fair" package. Deals like this can't be solved in a fair manner. For the team that gets Bedard, they'll most likely be in the running for their division crown. That gain in itself is greater than anything the Orioles can accomplish with the "ready now" talent they're trading. The Orioles are by far taking the greater risk by trading away their only ace over the past 10 years for in a sense, a gamble. If you ask me which is more of a sure thing, Bedard winning 18 games next year, or one of the prospects the Orioles getting back becomes an all star... I take the former. 10 times out of 10. All of this failure, take the deal now stuff is just not my opinion.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it really unacceptable for us to take on salary and include 1 or 2 of our 5 or so back of the rotation starters or our 7 or so extra bullpen arms? We should be able to do both and get back 2 extra good prospects (not top).

I would be fine with eating some salary in exchange for better players, but I don't think Angelos is.

I wasn't thrilled about the rumors of taking Pierre back, but if it had meant Kemp and Kershaw coming back, then I would have done it. Just for example.

This is the exact logic that has plagued this board since the winter meetings. It's easy for me to sit here and name 4 names of players that I want, then say "get er done andy!" but that's just not realistic. That being said, this is the package I would hold out for:

Reds: Bailey/Cueto, Votto, EE, and another top 10 prospect to go along with a salary of either Payton or Huff.

Mariners: Jones, Clement, Morrow/Balentin, and another top 10 prospect and Payton/Huff's salary.

These are the deals I'd demand. And from the looks of things via insiders and general newspapers (a la the sun saying Mcphail isn't happy with the offers thus far) we're not getting anything remotely close to that. I'm not just giving away Bedard for a "fair" package. Deals like this can't be solved in a fair manner. For the team that gets Bedard, they'll most likely be in the running for their division crown. That gain in itself is greater than anything the Orioles can accomplish with the "ready now" talent they're trading. The Orioles are by far taking the greater risk by trading away their only ace over the past 10 years for in a sense, a gamble. If you ask me which is more of a sure thing, Bedard winning 18 games next year, or one of the prospects the Orioles getting back becomes an all star... I take the former. 10 times out of 10. All of this failure, take the deal now stuff is just not my opinion.

Oh ok, so you want to be unreasonable too.

Just wanted to know where you stood.

Isn't it rare to pitch well right after tommy john? I remember it is a season or two before a pitcher can pitch like he did before the surgery.

Bedard had a sub 4.5 ERA....Not saying that is great but Liriano is more than a year removed from the surgery...Will be more like 1.5 years i think.

He could be very good.

Isn't it rare to pitch well right after tommy john? I remember it is a season or two before a pitcher can pitch like he did before the surgery.

It's supposed to be a year and a half from end of surgery before hes back to "normal."

By the trade deadline he could be back to his old form.

I like these deals:

Cincy: Cueto or Bailey, Votto, Maloney

Seattle: Jones, Morrow, and Tillman

Yankees: Hughes, Cabrera, and Tabata.

Red Sox: Bucholz, Lowrie, and Ellsbury

Toronto: Snider, McGowan, and ???

I would also consider throwing in a reliever in any of those deals. I'd also take back a salary....like Farnsworth from the Yanks....

I like these deals:

I would also consider throwing in a reliever in any of those deals. I'd also take back a salary....like Farnsworth from the Yanks....

If we could get Hughes and Tabata in the same deal....I would be very happy. Add Farnsworth to that. Shame we would have to take on Melky :rolleyes:

I don't think the Yankees would do this, though.

I would.

I like these deals:

Cincy: Cueto or Bailey, Votto, Maloney

Seattle: Jones, Morrow, and Tillman

Red Sox: Bucholz, Lowrie, and Ellsbury

Toronto: Snider, McGowan, and ???

I would try to get EE from the Reds, but id be fine with Maloney.

I like Truinfel better than Tillman, so I would sub him in for Tillman

Not a big Cabrera fan, would rather get someone else

I like the Sox and Jays deals

I just think we need to trade Bedard, and I would be happy with all of those deals

Haha. I just noticed that. :D

I'm looking for a deal similar to what the Rangers got for Tex. Adding in another prospect due to the fact you're getting the player for 2 full seasons. And taking on Payton's contract is hardly a deal breaker. If anything, it gives a playoff team a quality 3rd/4th OF who can play 5 days a week. He just doesn't fit into the Orioles plans. If I were a playoff team or one team on the verge, you bet your *** I'd trade away what the Rangers did as well as taking on a contract like Paytons. Didn't Texas get the #1, 3, 4 and some other prospect?

I'm looking for a deal similar to what the Rangers got for Tex. Adding in another prospect due to the fact you're getting the player for 2 full seasons. And taking on Payton's contract is hardly a deal breaker. If anything, it gives a playoff team a quality 3rd/4th OF who can play 5 days a week. He just doesn't fit into the Orioles plans. If I were a playoff team or one team on the verge, you bet your *** I'd trade away what the Rangers did as well as taking on a contract like Paytons. Didn't Texas get the #1, 3, 4 and some other prospect?

Jones and Clement or Bailey/Cueto and Votto are every bit as good as Harrison, Andrus and Salty IMO.

And then, on top of that, we are likely to get 1-2 other players.

Payton has a place on a contending team but no way any team will be dumb enough to give up the packages you suggested and take on a contract like that...And you also said him or Huff...So which is it?

You are being unreasonable...That's fine because that tells me you only trade Bedard if you are totally blown out of the water but what that also tells me is that you don't really want to trade Bedard.

As SG said, the deals we're being offered by the Reds and Mariners are reminiscent of what Texas got for Teixeira.

Considering Teixeira is an everyday ball player (whereas Bedard pitches every 5th day) that's really saying something.

Archived