Bedard unlikely to be traded by opener

wildcard

As SG said, the deals we're being offered by the Reds and Mariners are reminiscent of what Texas got for Teixeira.

Considering Teixeira is an everyday ball player (whereas Bedard pitches every 5th day) that's really saying something.

Teixeira had 575 plate appearances last season. Bedard faced 733 batters. Bedard played way more than Tex did. Although to be fair, Tex had averaged about 725 PAs the previous to years. Overall point is a SP affects the season every bit as much as a regular player, they just do it in big bunches once every 5th day whereas a regular guy does it in small batches every day.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teixeira had 575 plate appearances last season. Bedard faced 733 batters. Bedard played way more than Tex did. Although to be fair, Tex had averaged about 725 PAs the previous to years. Overall point is a SP affects the season every bit as much as a regular player, they just do it in big bunches once every 5th day whereas a regular guy does it in small batches every day.

Don't forget Tex's defense

I think I'm going to have to back off of commenting on every possible Bedard trade scenario. There are just too many of them, and the information about what has actually been offered to us seems pretty shaky. MacPhail is a patient guy, much more so than most of the posters here, I suspect. I feel he'll know when to pull the trigger. He did a good job with Wieters, Trachsel and Tejada IMO, so he's got credit in the bank with me.

Don't forget Tex's defense
Defense certainly does count for something, but then again, it also counts for something for Bedard.

I just disagree with the general reasoning that a hitter is more valuable than a pitcher because they play every day. Its just wrong. They each affect the season roughly the same amount. The reason why hitters are probably more valueable is because they aren't as huge variables a pitchers are. Otherwise good pitchers have bad seasons or get injured far more often than their similar offensive counterparts.

Defense certainly does count for something, but then again, it also counts for something for Bedard.

I just disagree with the general reasoning that a hitter is more valuable than a pitcher because they play every day. Its just wrong. They each affect the season roughly the same amount. The reason why hitters are probably more valueable is because they aren't as huge variables a pitchers are. Otherwise good pitchers have bad seasons or get injured far more often than their similar offensive counterparts.

Hopefully AM and the Orioles brass will always take this into account when allocating MLB payroll dollars and in their amateur draft selections.

As SG said, the deals we're being offered by the Reds and Mariners are reminiscent of what Texas got for Teixeira.

Considering Teixeira is an everyday ball player (whereas Bedard pitches every 5th day) that's really saying something.

Yet again, this is the exact same kind of logic that has plagued this board. How do we know those deals are being offered? There is absolutely no way to know. They're not reminiscent of what Tex got for Tex (:)) because we don't know.

Also, the notion that hitters are more valuable than pitchers is ridiculous. A pitcher who's potentially the best or 2nd best lefty in the game is going to net more than any hitter on the market. All of this "every 5th day" logic is worthless. Good pitching beats good hitting. End of discussion. The Red Sox had a rotation of Dice K, Schilling and Beckett... there's a reason they're willing to give up Ellsbury to get Santana.

Yet again, this is the exact same kind of logic that has plagued this board. How do we know those deals are being offered? There is absolutely no way to know. They're not reminiscent of what Tex got for Tex (:)) because we don't know.
YOUR post said we needed Cueto/Bailey, Votto, EE and another top 10 prospect plus they need to take back a crappy contract....What we are saying is that a lesser offer is still very good and should be accepted.

You are being unreasonable.

Also, the notion that hitters are more valuable than pitchers is ridiculous. A pitcher who's potentially the best or 2nd best lefty in the game is going to net more than any hitter on the market. All of this "every 5th day" logic is worthless. Good pitching beats good hitting. End of discussion. The Red Sox had a rotation of Dice K, Schilling and Beckett... there's a reason they're willing to give up Ellsbury to get Santana.

According to our insiders, those deals WERE being offered for Bedard. Whether you believe it or not... well, that's your prerogative.

As for the value of an everday superstar and an every 5th day superstar, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. If I had my choice between MCab and J. Santana, I'd take MCab every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Frobby's comment above is speaking for me regarding this..... it's all rumor, speculation and conjecture... fun to talk about... but silly to argue about.

I think I'm going to have to back off of commenting on every possible Bedard trade scenario. There are just too many of them, and the information about what has actually been offered to us seems pretty shaky. MacPhail is a patient guy, much more so than most of the posters here, I suspect. I feel he'll know when to pull the trigger. He did a good job with Wieters, Trachsel and Tejada IMO, so he's got credit in the bank with me.

Smart man.

According to our insiders, those deals WERE being offered for Bedard. Whether you believe it or not... well, that's your prerogative.

OH, let's not go there. We already know all the different sides of the insider stuff. One of those sides was a claim about a big trade within 24 hours, etc., etc. No reason to diss insiders, and no reason to make somebody sound like he's got his head in the sand for saying we don't really know the facts either. Because, the fact is that we don't know the facts. We prolly never will either.

OH, let's not go there. We already know all the different sides of the insider stuff. One of those sides was a claim about a big trade within 24 hours, etc., etc. No reason to diss insiders, and no reason to make somebody sound like he's got his head in the sand for saying we don't really know the facts either. Because, the fact is that we don't know the facts. We prolly never will either.

I didn't meant to come off as nasty with my comment, so I apologize if I did. I just happen to believe what's been reported by bigbird, Belkast, Peace, Sonny, etc.

And no, I'm not a teacher's pet. :D

Thank you

I see some in full freak out mode. One in particular has just been embarassing himself over and over again in virtually every thread for days now. Of course, he did the same thing during the Wieters negotiations too and, apparently, he didn't learn anything from it.

It's called venting frustration at the inactivity of the FO. I guess my expectations of the FO were unrealistic, but based on the inside information and what I've read in the media, it seemed like we were going to be very active this offseason. And now two months have gone by and we've traded Tejada, but done little else except talk. Meanwhile a bunch of low risk moves could have been made or minor league signings, the little moves, that help out your team in the long run. We haven't done any of these either. It seems the team has been overly occupied with Roberts and Bedard and little else.

No, it is not called "venting frustration at the inactivity of the FO". That's what you did in *this* post (the one quoted above). In most of your *previous* posts you were panicking like crazy. There is a big difference between expressing frustration and crumbling in panic, screaming that the sky is falling, and telling people that we're all doomed unless AM takes whatever feeble unknown offer is under his nose at the moment. Expressing "frustration" is one thing, and falling apart in panic is something else. They are two very different things. The one you've been doing is not about expressing frustration. You've been panicking at the drop of a hat, doing it all over the place, and doing it on a routine basis. You can do that if you like, it's up to you. There's no rule against panicking.

In this case, nobody referred to you by name, he just referred to an unnamed somebody who was freaking out and panicking left and right. But you responded to it anyway, and are trying to paint routine panic as being something else entirely. Look, if you're gonna panic relentlessly at every opportunity but you don't wanna cop to it, it might be better to just ignore it and lay low when somebody points it out. That way, people can stay confused about who's being referred to. But when you pop-up of your own volition, but then try to pretend it's not about you wetting your pants, you're not fooling anybody. Instead, you're not only identifying yourself, you're also making it look worse by trying to pretend it's something else.

I posted this last night, but then I deleted it because I thought it was a mean thing to say, especially with Christmas and all. But then today, I see you're still crying about how AM has clearly screwed the pooch, even though you don't know squat. The constant "we're all doomed" bed-wetting is a bit much, don't you think? You can say whatever you like, but I wish you'd at least think about it before you go crying about how "the sky is falling" for the zillionth time.

No, it is not called "venting frustration at the inactivity of the FO". That's what you did in *this* post (the one quoted above). In most of your *previous* posts you were panicking like crazy. There is a big difference between expressing frustration and crumbling in panic, screaming that the sky is falling, and telling people that we're all doomed unless AM takes whatever feeble unknown offer is under his nose at the moment. Expressing "frustration" is one thing, and falling apart in panic is something else. They are two very different things. The one you've been doing is not about expressing frustration. You've been panicking at the drop of a hat, doing it all over the place, and doing it on a routine basis. You can do that if you like, it's up to you. There's no rule against panicking.

In this case, nobody referred to you by name, he just referred to an unnamed somebody who was freaking out and panicking left and right. But you responded to it anyway, and are trying to paint routine panic as being something else entirely. Look, if you're gonna panic relentlessly at every opportunity but you don't wanna cop to it, it might be better to just ignore it and lay low when somebody points it out. That way, people can stay confused about who's being referred to. But when you pop-up of your own volition, but then try to pretend it's not about you wetting your pants, you're not fooling anybody. Instead, you're not only identifying yourself, you're also making it look worse by trying to pretend it's something else.

I posted this last night, but then I deleted it because I thought it was a mean thing to say, especially with Christmas and all. But then today, I see you're still crying about how AM has clearly screwed the pooch, even though you don't know squat. The constant "we're all doomed" bed-wetting is a bit much, don't you think? You can say whatever you like, but I wish you'd at least think about it before you go crying about how "the sky is falling" for the zillionth time.

Alright, I got to respond to this obviously. I am panicked and frustrated and it is possible to be both. And I'll gladly stand up and represent myself and fellow Oriole fans that agree with me, no need to hide. It was pretty obvious who vatech was talking about, at least to me. And I don't think I come across as "bed-wetting" or "wetting my pants" so you put it. That to me is a little extreme. I'm 28 not 2 thank you. But there is a legitimate reason behind all my posts, unlike yours which just comment on how better you are than the other poster because you are calm and collected about this offseason, yet you fail to state how I'm wrong or provide any evidence why I am wrong. Instead you choose to belittle me by comparing me to a two year old just because I am expressing my viewpoint as a concerned fan that doesn't agree with yours. And I apologize to the rest of the Hangout for this post, as you know I don't usually post this way, but I feel I have to defend myself here.

I think the issue here isn't in the trades, or what people want. I think most people on this board consider themselves to be pretty educated when it comes to Orioles baseball. The issue, in my opinion (which could be very off, if so I apologize) is that inside information gets posted... and when it doesn't come to fruition people get more and more anxious and think its that easy for a deal to happen. I do believe that the information we recieve on this board is accurate, but in no message is there seriousness about talks, or names in the entire deal. People often run with ideas (like I may have done with my trade idea) and then get mad when things don't happen. That's the main point of my frustration. Is the "failure" talk in regards to Mcphail. He certainly hasn't been a miracle worker when it comes to big time moves. But the moves beyond the surface are what really makes this team hopefully competitive in a few years. The signing of all our top draft picks. The "re-assignment" of many minor league staff workers. Those are the things that need the most attention, as our farm system over the past few years has been nothing short of an embarrasment. The title of failure in regards to Mcphail just doesn't stick with me. It strikes me as short sighted, while also completely ignoring the fact. The Orioles are more than a few personnel moves away from contending. They're a farm system behind every other team in the AL East. Why don't we try fixing that, instead of worrying about trading Bedard over the next few months. We got a bunch of prospects to load our system with in the draft, as well as the Tejada trade. We'll most definately get 4 or 5 more with the Bedard trade (whenever it happens) and maybe even a Brob/Mora/Payton deal too. No sense in calling someone a failure. The Orioles took 10 years to make the situation this bad, it's completely and utterly unfair to give Mcphail less than 1 full season to fix 10 years of just bad baseball throughout the organization.

Archived