Bedard unlikely to be traded by opener

wildcard

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also tend to think if he is here by OD that he will be here the final 2 years of his deal(chaos lex is the first to mention this and I agree with him).

I don't understand why so many posters think a new market will open up for Bedard around the deadline. As you've mentioned in the past SG, the kind of guys that MacPhail wants (i.e., Bruce, Kemp AND Kershaw, etc.) will likely be contributing to their respective teams by then, so how does that give us any advantage?

I don't understand why so many posters think a new market will open up for Bedard around the deadline. As you've mentioned in the past SG, the kind of guys that MacPhail wants (i.e., Bruce, Kemp AND Kershaw, etc.) will likely be contributing to their respective teams by then, so how does that give us any advantage?

Yeah, there is no way we get a good package for Bedard at the trade deadline.

We could get lucky and have some team overpay because they need a fix in a bad way, but it’s not going to be the players that we've been speculating about, as you've mentioned.

MOST of the players we've discussed will be in the mix for any contender that would have to overpay, even the younger guys who are on the cusp of contributing.

And if we can't move him at the deadline, then next off season is even worse, as there are some nice pitchers who will be available (Sabathia, Burnett, Lowe, Penny, Johan etc.)

We could get lucky and have some team overpay because they need a fix in a bad way, but it’s not going to be the players that we've been speculating about, as you've mentioned.

MOST of the players we've discussed will be in the mix for any contender that would have to overpay, even the younger guys who are on the cusp of contributing.

And if we can't move him at the deadline, then next off season is even worse, as there are some nice pitchers who will be available (Sabathia, Burnett, Lowe, Penny, Johan etc.)

If Bedard isn't moved soon, the only thing MacPhail can hope for (and this is a horrible thing to say) is that a contender suffers some kind of catastrophic injury to the front of their rotation during spring training. That's the only way any team would vastly overpay for Bedard, IMO.

If Bedard isn't moved soon, the only thing MacPhail can hope for (and this is a horrible thing to say) is that a contender suffers some kind of catastrophic injury to the front of their rotation during spring training. That's the only way any team would vastly overpay for Bedard, IMO.

I do think you are right.

Either that or something like, I don't know, during Spring Training it is clear that a team (Cardinals, Dodgers, Brewers so on and so forth) are vastly inferior to the other teams in their divisions on the mound. But you can't usually find such things out until at least a month of the season has been played, and even then it would be too early for another team to "panic."

And we also have to remember that, after this off season passes, with each passing week/month that’s less and less time the team that gets Bedard will have him under contract. So basically as the season progresses you are losing value as time goes on.

I'll say what I've said since the last day of the season, trade him before opening day. If he’s here on OD, AM has failed.

I do think you are right.

Either that or something like, I don't know, during Spring Training it is clear that a team (Cardinals, Dodgers, Brewers so on and so forth) are vastly inferior to the other teams in their divisions on the mound. But you can't usually find such things out until at least a month of the season has been played, and even then it would be too early for another team to "panic."

And we also have to remember that, after this off season passes, with each passing week/month that’s less and less time the team that gets Bedard will have him under contract. So basically as the season progresses you are losing value as time goes on.

I'll say what I've said since the last day of the season, trade him before opening day. If he’s here on OD, AM has failed.

Failed?!?!?! Are you being serious? How can you say he failed if he doesn't trade his star pitcher with 2 years left on his deal? Mcphail hasn't recieved a good offer yet, and he's not going to accept mediocre ones just to do it. I cannot begin to express how this board takes off sometimes with little to nothing to go on. Names are thrown around here at a mile a second as if it's that easy to trade away a player. The Orioles want and need top notch talent in return. I don't understand what you people aren't getting. If we trade him for a mediocre package, you're the same type of fan that will be bashing him in 3 years saying man that was no good.

That's not true but the package is unlikely include 3-4 ML ready guys.

Failed?!?!?! Are you being serious? How can you say he failed if he doesn't trade his star pitcher with 2 years left on his deal? Mcphail hasn't recieved a good offer yet, and he's not going to accept mediocre ones just to do it. I cannot begin to express how this board takes off sometimes with little to nothing to go on. Names are thrown around here at a mile a second as if it's that easy to trade away a player. The Orioles want and need top notch talent in return. I don't understand what you people aren't getting. If we trade him for a mediocre package, you're the same type of fan that will be bashing him in 3 years saying man that was no good.

Define this....What package do you think we should get from the Reds or Mariners?

I have to disagree with you because I cannot envision a situation where we get a package with "top notch talent" once the 2008 season starts.

I just can't.

----------------

And SG, I don't think we can get a good package for Bedard at the deadline, because there will be better pitchers on the market, Santana will probably still be there, and who knows what will happen with all of the pitchers who are free agents after this season, one or two good ones could be moved.

Jones and Morrow/Clement (plus a minor leaguer or two)

&

Votto and Cueto/Bailey (plus a minor leaguer or two)

Those packages are fair market value for Bedard.

Also, Bedard's not going to be here in 3 years, regardless of whether we trade him or not.

I have to disagree with you because I cannot envision a situation where we get a package with "top notch talent" once the 2008 season starts.

I just can't.

----------------

And SG, I don't think we can get a good package for Bedard at the deadline, because there will be better pitchers on the market, Santana will probably still be there, and who knows what will happen with all of the pitchers who are free agents after this season, one or two good ones could be moved.

I think it is likely the Twins will be in the race at the deadline and there is no one else who you can definitively say is better than Bedard after him.

Besides, Santana has said he will not allow a trade during the season and he has that right.

I think it is likely the Twins will be in the race at the deadline and there is no one else who you can definitively say is better than Bedard after him.

Besides, Santana has said he will not allow a trade during the season and he has that right.

Got to wonder if he will change his tune when he is 15+ games behind the Tigers.....

Archived