Dbacks and Braves agree to Upton deal

Going Underground

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The asking price for Kubel is dropping... What if the DBacks would deal him to us for Betemit and a lower pitching prospect like Bridwell? Would you do it?

It would give them significant salary relief and a better LH bat on the bench than Hinske (Goldschmidt and Chris Johnson are both RH). The deal would upgrade our LH DH offensively (30 HR last year and 117 OPS+... and 113 OPS+ for his career) but also give us a guy who isn't a liability in the field like Betemit. We'd have to pay the salary and give up a guy like Bridwell, but that's okay right? Win-Win?

I don't think I would make that deal.

I think I would do that deal. I know a lot of people here aren't very high on Kubel, but if we could get him for an injury-plagued reserve corner infielder and a guy who might never make it to the bigs, without having to part with an arm like Britton, Arrieta or Matusz, I think that's a steal.

I'm with you.

Both are atrocious defensively so the "Kubel can only DH" argument doesn't really fly. Yes, I'd trade for Kubel at that price. For those who are implying Betemit will match him offensively, based on what track record I ask? Projecting numbers for a players over extended ABs is a dangerious game. If Kubel can come close to the numbers he posted last season, then he's definitely worth trading a lower level prospect for. And again, the Orioles wouldn't have put themselves in this predicament if they had...made a run at LaRoche...tried to trade for Morse...or really done anything to address the loss of Reynold's bat. They made their own bed, that's why they're stuck targeting the Jason Kubel's of the world.

All that said, I would much rather the Os part with a bit more and make a run at Upton.

This sounds familar.

When the O's wanted to get McLouth to sign they started to talk to Schlerholtz. It worked. McLouth signed in the next few days.

DD said on Sunday that Saunders would probably sign this week. Now there is a rumor that the O's are interested in Porcello. Could they be trying to get Saunders to sign now?

I think the same thing is happening with Upton but the O's are the third party. The D'back want to trade Upton this week. They float at trade of Kubel to the O's. Now the Braves are trying to close the deal for Upton.

IMO the trade of Kubel to the O's makes little sense.

This sounds familar.

When the O's wanted to get McLouth to sign they started to talk to Schlerholtz. It worked. McLouth signed in the next few days.

DD said on Sunday that Saunders would probably sign this week. Now there is a rumor that the O's are interested in Porcello. Could they be trying to get Saunders to sign now?

I think the same thing is happening with Upton but the O's are the third party. The D'back want to trade Upton this week. They float at trade of Kubel to the O's. Now the Braves are trying to close the deal for Upton.

IMO the trade of Kubel to the O's makes little sense.

I have been hearing Porcello's name for weeks.

Both are atrocious defensively so the "Kubel can only DH" argument doesn't really fly. Yes, I'd trade for Kubel at that price. For those who are implying Betemit will match him offensively, based on what track record I ask? Projecting numbers for a players over extended ABs is a dangerious game. If Kubel can come close to the numbers he posted last season, then he's definitely worth trading a lower level prospect for. And again, the Orioles wouldn't have put themselves in this predicament if they had...made a run at LaRoche...tried to trade for Morse...or really done anything to address the loss of Reynold's bat. They made their own bed, that's why they're stuck targeting the Jason Kubel's of the world.

All that said, I would much rather the Os part with a bit more and make a run at Upton.

Have you not paid attention to any thread about Betemit vs. RHP? His career OPS vs. RHP is .824.

Archived