Latest Roch ...

Fairfax Bird

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hate to rain on the parade but if we deal Bedard and Roberts for the rumored packages we'll most likely be the worst team in the AL in 2008.

Sure, but the future will certainly look much brighter. If we go into 'full rebuild mode', I would expect 2008, and possibly 2009, to be quite a rough patch. But if it means we're somewhat competitive by 2010, I'm all for it.

Hate to rain on the parade but if we deal Bedard and Roberts for the rumored packages we'll most likely be the worst team in the AL in 2008.
That's not raining on my parade. I'm hoping for that! It'll mean we did the right moves this offseason, assuming we got good returns for Bedard and Roberts and were able to move some of Mora, Huff, Millar, and Payton.

I think this is false. The talent we get back from the Bedard and Roberts trades will outproduce or equal the talent we are losing with other deals except for Bedard and Roberts. And the five to ten wins we'll lose from Bedard and Roberts will be made up for by a better bullpen and better game management than last year. I think we'll actually improve on our record from last year when the bullpen and game management (under Perlozzo) was absolutley dreadful.

I think this is false. The talent we get back from the Bedard and Roberts trades will outproduce or equal the talent we are losing with other deals except for Bedard and Roberts. And the five to ten wins we'll lose from Bedard and Roberts will be made up for by a better bullpen and better game management than last year. I think we'll actually improve on our record from last year when the bullpen and game management (under Perlozzo) was absolutley dreadful.

Bigbird may end up being right but we also may end up being better than we were last year and, of course, have a better future.

The AL is absolutely stacked..Even the bad teams are good.

Bigbird may end up being right but we also may end up being better than we were last year and, of course, have a better future.

The AL is absolutely stacked..Even the bad teams are good.

Oakland is likely to be worse and KC still isn't all the way there yet. The ChiSox haven't done much either. We might be the worst in our division but I don't think we'll be the worst in the AL.

Oakland is likely to be worse and KC still isn't all the way there yet. The ChiSox haven't done much either. We might be the worst in our division but I don't think we'll be the worst in the AL.

Oakland has a lot of young talent...They could easily be better.

KC has way more talent than the Orioles right now.

WS could go either way.

We definitely could be the worse team in the AL...We may be even if we keep BRob and Bedard.

Who cares if we are the worst team in baseball. If we get all that young talent and give them a chance to get better I will take another high draft pick and keep building.

To be fair, I don't think Rshack is "clamoring" for him. That's not how I read his posts.

Nah, of course I'm not. I'm just reacting to three things that rub me the wrong way:

• People going completely berserk at the mere mention of him, which I take as being a good example of blind OPS-religion devoid of context;
  • People routinely saying that there's dozens of guys available for nothing with a glove that's as good as his, plus a way-better bat, which AFAIK is a 100% bogus claim. Yet it gets echo-chambered to death without anybody stopping to even think about the fact that it's just not true;
  • The absurd notion that it's imperative that AM either (a) solves the long-term SS issue right away, or (b) goes out of his way to get a temp-solution with a better bat *at the price* of a worse glove during a season when a big issue is if-fy kid pitchers.

I think 90% of the responses are an unfortunate combination of bandwagoning and needless anger-thumping, mixed in with the inevitable doses of "I'm so much smarter than both DT and AM combined. Gee, they must be dopes." Now, of course this is not everyone. Some of the opinions against LH are thoughtful and well-reasoned. But the loudest ones are just knee-jerk noise focused on dissing a kid who took the chance the O's gave him last year and played SS in a way that was downright pretty to watch.

I realize the kid can't hit. If anybody was "clamoring" for him to start, I'd say "Huh?" If it wasn't for all the dumb stuff people say, followed by the absurd hoops they then jump through to justify it, I prolly wouldn't say a peep. It's not LH I'm responding to at all, but rather the dumb stuff people say, some of which is needlessly mean, and some of which is just flat-out wrong.

Nah, of course I'm not. I'm just reacting to three things that rub me the wrong way:
  • People going completely berserk at the mere mention of him, which I take as being a good example of blind OPS-religion devoid of context;
  • People routinely saying that there's dozens of guys available for nothing with a glove that's as good as his, plus a way-better bat, which AFAIK is a 100% bogus claim. Yet it gets echo-chambered to death without anybody stopping to even think about the fact that it's just not true;
  • The absurd notion that it's imperative that AM either (a) solves the long-term SS issue right away, or (b) goes out of his way to get a temp-solution with a better bat *at the price* of a worse glove during a season when a big issue is if-fy kid pitchers.

I think 90% of the responses are an unfortunate combination of bandwagoning and needless anger-thumping, mixed in with the inevitable doses of "I'm so much smarter than both DT and AM combined. Gee, they must be dopes." Now, of course this is not everyone. Some of the opinions against LH are thoughtful and well-reasoned. But the loudest ones are just knee-jerk noise focused on dissing a kid who took the chance the O's gave him last year and played SS in a way that was downright pretty to watch.

I realize the kid can't hit. If anybody was "clamoring" for him to start, I'd say "Huh?" If it wasn't for all the dumb stuff people say, followed by the absurd hoops they then jump through to justify it, I prolly wouldn't say a peep. It's not LH I'm responding to at all, but rather the dumb stuff people say, some of which is needlessly mean, and some of which is just flat-out wrong.

Well said.

• 3 months later...

Archived