MLB investigating South Florida "wellness clinics" in connection with PEDs

howboutthoseos

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not real worried about that. Looks like a pretty big PED bust though:

Miami New Times, in a report released Tuesday, said that a former employee of the clinic, which is now closed, had provided it with medical records from the facility that tie Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera, Gio Gonzalez, Bartolo Colon, Nelson Cruz and Yasmani Grandal to the use of performance-enhancers.

Cabrera, Colon and Grandal were suspended in the past year by baseball for positive drug tests. Gonzalez and Cruz have not previously been linked to the use of performance-enhancers.

That's a shame. I like Gio.
Me too.

Does the article mention steroids? I assume it's all HGH, since the league has steroid testing in place. Could we see a punch of punishments coming with HGH testing starting this year?

I don't particularly like Gio (or any National player for that matter), but it should be pointed out that nothing has been reported showing a connection between him and banned drugs. The drugs he supposedly bought from the clinic were legal. It seems like that's being lost in the story as it's not being emphasized enough. Yes...I too am shocked that sports writers aren't going out of their way to make sure everybody has the facts.

I don't know if that's exactly true... Apparently Gio's name appeared in 5 orders. One specific note lists substances that aren't banned, but it's not really clear what all he bought. I'd personally say he's guilty as hell... Not saying there's "proof," that's just my opinion. Because look, you've got a doc or drug slinger or whatever he is with all these MLB clients. Gio is an MLB player as well. Gio's dad is a confirmed and admitted client. How do you think Gio's dad heard of this guy? I'd say through Gio, especially considering Gio is actually named in some of the documents. And yet, despite his dad being confirmed and his own name being among the files they have, Gio says: "I've never met or spoken with tony Bosch or used any substance." Anyone buying that? Seems like a very unlikely denial, and if he's lying about that, then I'd assume it's because he was doping!

I posted this in the PED thread in Orioles Talk, relevant here:

Some tidbits regarding South Florida and prescription drugs.

My wife recently graduated from a South Florida Pharmacy school. During her time in the Rx world she picked all sorts of tidbits about the local market down there. For instance, did you know its estimated 70% (i'll look it up later) of all black market prescription drugs (think Oxy's on the street) originate from Florida Pharmacies?

At least two independent pharmacies where busted for distributing pain medications prescribed by 'cash' only doctors. The premise is simple, Doctor sets up a store front, often a Pain Clinic. You walk in and hand him $300 cash and he writes a script for whatever you want. Doctor says take it down the street to Phakey Pharmacy where they fill it no questions asked. Cash only transactions mean there is no flag on any of this, because....

Controlled substances are tracked by Insurance companies. You can't fill the same script at two different pharmacies if you run it through insurance because the Insurance company will flag it and won't pay. Cash only does NOT get tracked. You can fill it at as many Pharmacies as will go along with it (legit pharmacies won't fill questionable scripts for controlled substances).

Some states have Controlled Substance tracking systems, but this legislation was shot down in Florida by the new Governor a few years back (it was quite the controversy because he lots of financial backing from the Pharma lobby).

In my opinion if Florida isn't able (or possibly willing) to stop Rx narcotics from being easily distributed, why would they care about something so relatively docile as athletes procuring less dangerous substances like HGH.

Update: I didn't find the 70% quote exactly but this article is a pretty detailed description of the problem.

• 1 month later...

So Cesar Carrillo (never heard of him...) was suspended for 100 games JUST for being connected? Whether you're against PEDs or don't care, that doesn't seem right at all.

Sources tell @OTLonESPN Carrillo hit w two offenses: 50 games for being on Biogenesis documents, 50 for lying to MLB about knowing Bosch.

As a Minor Leaguer, Carillo is not in the player's union and is therefore not subject to protection by the union. He is not covered under the CBA (Colllective Bargaining Agreement). So MLB was able to susspend him for appearing on the Biogenesis documents and for lying about his knowledge of Biogenesis. Guilt by association and failing to cooperate with MLBs investigation is what cooked Carillo.

Major Leaguers are under the CBA which basically states that unless a player fails a test or is found to be in possession of PEDs, there is really nothing MLB can do to him.

As a Minor Leaguer, Carillo is not in the player's union and is therefore not subject to protection by the union. He is not covered under the CBA (Colllective Bargaining Agreement). So MLB was able to susspend him for appearing on the Biogenesis documents and for lying about his knowledge of Biogenesis. Guilt by association and failing to cooperate with MLBs investigation is what cooked Carillo.

Major Leaguers are under the CBA which basically states that unless a player fails a test or is found to be in possession of PEDs, there is really nothing MLB can do to him.

Except leak information and ruin the player's reputation.

Except leak information and ruin the player's reputation.

The fact that Carillo failed to cooperate with MLB in their investigation by lying to the investigators is one of the reasons he got suspended.

I guess you could liken it to being pulled over by the police and refusing to take a Breathalyzer test.

By doing so, you're going to lose your license for a set number of months, you'll be taken to jail and charged and the fact that you refused to take the test can be used as evidence in your trial.

The fact that Carillo failed to cooperate with MLB in their investigation by lying to the investigators is one of the reasons he got suspended.

I guess you could liken it to being pulled over by the police and refusing to take a Breathalyzer test.

By doing so, you're going to lose your license for a set number of months, you'll be taken to jail and charged and the fact that you refused to take the test can be used as evidence in your trial.

I wasn't talking about Carillo.

You think Braun's camp leaked the positive test?

Somehow a lot of supposedly confidential information gets leaked to the press. If MLB isn't doing it intentionally then they need to reassess their security measures.

Archived