Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

I understand that, but saying the phrase "It's a game of failure" when you are stinking up the joint sounds like you are accepting being lousy. I wanted him to say "I am stinking up the joint! I have to get better". Not just dismiss it as a game of failure.

No, that's just an angry pessimist's interpretation. The less bitter among us know what he meant.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I see everyone analyzing Bucks moves, DD's moves, RISP, and so forth...

Here is my take, and it is much simpler. This team is very similar to last year, and the combination of an offense that makes it power almost exclusively through the long ball, and weak starting pitching means that they are going to play a lot of close games. It is the makeup of the team.

The difference is, we cannot close games this year plain and simple. Whose job is it to close games? Jim Johnson.

What I am saying is we can go crazy blaming people, but the simple facts are if JJ only blew 4-5 saves this year, and held a few tied games where they were, we would be in the wild card. I am going to go a step further and say that his failures have also taken a toll on the team emotionally that you can't show statistically. Just the general funk, and bad mojo 8 blown saves, and a few tied games lost by one person causes is at least worth 4-5 more losses IMO. It makes the whole team press and really ruins the vibe.

But I see everyone analyzing Bucks moves, DD's moves, RISP, and so forth...

Here is my take, and it is much simpler. This team is very similar to last year, and the combination of an offense that makes it power almost exclusively through the long ball, and weak starting pitching means that they are going to play a lot of close games. It is the makeup of the team.

The difference is, we cannot close games this year plain and simple. Whose job is it to close games? Jim Johnson.

What I am saying is we can go crazy blaming people, but the simple facts are if JJ only blew 4-5 saves this year, and held a few tied games where they were, we would be in the wild card. I am going to go a step further and say that his failures have also taken a toll on the team emotionally that you can't show statistically. Just the general funk, and bad mojo 8 blown saves, and a few tied games lost by one person causes is at least worth 4-5 more losses IMO. It makes the whole team press and really ruins the vibe.

With all the other similar threads on this subject, did you really have to start another one?

This argument makes no sense.

It's like saying it's not the car's fault it broke down on the way to work, you should have bought a new one before you left. It got you to work before..why not today?

Also it is factually inaccurate as it ignores how much the players already on the team have improved.

Chris Davis Hitting 50 Home runs at 1B instead of Mark Reynolds? Sounds like a upgrade.

2B play has been better, especially in the 2nd half of the season with Roberts back.

Manny Machado is better this season than any 3B we could have signed

McLouth for a full season is better than most LF on market that we could attain

Hardy is better than last year at the plate.

DH has not been hot, but that is mostly due to Betimeit and Nolan being injured.

Offensively, the only declines would be Markakis and Wieters, and those positions would not have been "upgraded" in the off season.

Now in terms of starting pitching, we went into camp with 10 pitchers who had a chance at starting, and the early part of the season was a mess while we waded though them. That said, you don't goe signing expensive free agent pitchers with the way Britton pitched the end of last year, and the upside Arietta had. Even still, Tillman is a better ace this year than Hammel was last. Also, when the Orioles SP was bad, they were still in contention. Now that their SP is pitching at an above average level, they are losing hard luck loses from what I think is emotional burnout.

What has failed this team is the bullpen. I was here over the winter, and that was the last place people were suggesting we needed upgrades. The bottom line is, Jim Johnson only blows 4-5 saves and this team is in a WC spot, and has a completely different vibe about it. Anyone who cannot see that needs to put their common sense glasses on.

Oh look, another bash Jim Johnson thread...

No, the team wasn't sufficiently upgraded last season and the strategy failed. So tell me again, why is Jim Johnson's name in the tread title?

This argument makes no sense.

It's like saying it's not the car's fault it broke down on the way to work, you should have bought a new one before you left. It got you to work before..why not today?

Also it is factually inaccurate as it ignores how much the players already on the team have improved.

Chris Davis Hitting 50 Home runs at 1B instead of Mark Reynolds? Sounds like a upgrade.

2B play has been better, especially in the 2nd half of the season with Roberts back.

Manny Machado is better this season than any 3B we could have signed

McLouth for a full season is better than most LF on market that we could attain

Hardy is better than last year at the plate.

DH has not been hot, but that is mostly due to Betimeit and Nolan being injured.

Offensively, the only declines would be Markakis and Wieters, and those positions would not have been "upgraded" in the off season.

Now in terms of starting pitching, we went into camp with 10 pitchers who had a chance at starting, and the early part of the season was a mess while we waded though them. That said, you don't goe signing expensive free agent pitchers with the way Britton pitched the end of last year, and the upside Arietta had. Even still, Tillman is a better ace this year than Hammel was last. Also, when the Orioles SP was bad, they were still in contention. Now that their SP is pitching at an above average level, they are losing hard luck loses from what I think is emotional burnout.

What has failed this team is the bullpen. I was here over the winter, and that was the last place people were suggesting we needed upgrades. The bottom line is, Jim Johnson only blows 4-5 saves and this team is in a WC spot, and has a completely different vibe about it. Anyone who cannot see that needs to put their common sense glasses on.

So if the O's goto the top of the 9th tied 0-0 and JJ gives up a run and we lose 1-0, is it his fault and only his fault?

So if the O's goto the top of the 9th tied 0-0 and JJ gives up a run and we lose 1-0, is it his fault and only his fault?

Yes it is. Matter of fact, there is this statistic called a loss, and he gets one for allowing the run the loses the game.

So nothing that happen in the first 8 innings on offense could lead to the loss? Or does that not matter?

Or how about we get bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th with no outs and Machado, Davis and Jones all strike out?

It goes both ways. Maybe the pitcher is great that day, and no one would have success. Here is how I see it. At the major league level, the best hitters only are successful 3 in 10 times. That means a pitcher is successful 7 in 10 times. Therefore it is way easier for a pitcher to have a clean inning than for a lineup of batters to produce runs. If the bases are loaded, the odds of the next 3 hitters making outs are much higher than them getting hits.

The simple fact is, in 53 games we gave Jim Johnson a lead to protect, and in 9 of those chances he has failed and cost us the game. That is not counting the games where he like Thursday and he blew that also. We have been teetering between the wild card and 3 games out for 2-3 months. Any educated person and do the math and see that him not doing his job is the difference between us and a wild card spot right now.

Yes it is. Matter of fact, there is this statistic called a loss, and he gets one for allowing the run the loses the game.

It goes both ways. Maybe the pitcher is great that day, and no one would have success. Here is how I see it. At the major league level, the best hitters only are successful 3 in 10 times. That means a pitcher is successful 7 in 10 times. Therefore it is way easier for a pitcher to have a clean inning than for a lineup of batters to produce runs. If the bases are loaded, the odds of the next 3 hitters making outs are much higher than them getting hits.

They didn't need a hit to tie or win the game.

The simple fact is, in 53 games we gave Jim Johnson a lead to protect, and in 9 of those chances he has failed and cost us the game. That is not counting the games where he like Thursday and he blew that also. We have been teetering between the wild card and 3 games out for 2-3 months. Any educated person and do the math and see that him not doing his job is the difference between us and a wild card spot right now.

An educated person would know that there is more between the math and stats. Obviously you must not be one of them.

Archived