Jake Arrieta - so frustrating to watch this guy pitch. Talented, but erratic. Will he ever put it to

BamaOsFan

Yes. But he made adjustments and he has always shown talent and results in spurts. You don't give up now.

Serious question, what adjustments? He looks like the same guy he always looks like. What are you seeing that I am not?

I would love for them to send him down and tell him to pick three pitches and then keep him down there until he can properly command at least two of them.

It is so infuriating watching him get beat on his 5th best pitch.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jake has solid, very solid, peripherals.

That leads some of the more stat minded folks to think he is unlucky or that he may have an epiphany.

I myself have decided that if some pitchers can outpitch their peripherals then it is logical then some pitchers' actual game performance will fall short of what their peripherals suggest they will do.

Those peripherals can't overcome his walks and pitch counts. As was the case with guys like Oliver Perez, Scott Kazmir, and Jonathan Sanchez, all guys with great stuff who were done in by control problems. They're not all completely comparable with Jake from a peripherals standpoint, but the principle that you fail in the majors with a high walk rate applies. Jake's future is in the pen if the Orioles want to salvage his value at the major league level without sacrificing losses this season. Otherwise he should start in Norfolk and show sustained success for two or three months before getting another crack.

Yes. But he made adjustments and he has always shown talent and results in spurts. You don't give up now.
I want him to go to Norfolk and prove he can get people out. Like Tillman had to do last year. Arrieta just hasnt proven he can hack it yet.

Jake has solid, very solid, peripherals.

That leads some of the more stat minded folks to think he is unlucky or that he may have an epiphany.

I myself have decided that if some pitchers can outpitch their peripherals then it is logical then some pitchers' actual game performance will fall short of what their peripherals suggest they will do.

Agree with this. I'm sick of people pointing to Jake's peripherals.

Now, it's a new season and hopefully after today he'll get back on track, however I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd like to see him get one more start before we give up on him. An opening day start is not a normal situation, some pitchers exceed their norm, others struggle. He was lights out in his last start, so lets get a valid data sample. If he can impress another team, he'll have some trade value, which is what I'm hoping for.

You do realize that ERA or ERA+ are imperfect measures of talent and future outcomes, right? The Orioles will give him chances as long as they believe he gives them their best potential outcomes now and going forward.

I understand that ERA isn't the best way to judge a pitcher. How about his career 1.4 WHIP then? Or his 4 walks per nine? Im not arguing he doesnt have good stuff. But if you cant locate it, then it doesnt matter. Yeah, that broken bat single was bad luck. But it hurt Jake because he walked two before it happened. Then as soon as the Orioles get him back into the game, he leads off another inning with a walk, leading to the Twins go ahead run. I see the same Jake now that I saw back in 2010. He doesnt attack the strike zone. He allows the hitters to see too many pitches. And he struggles with men on. None of those things screams future success. I always liked Jake, so I hope im wrong.

I'm with CoC....I'd like to know what adjustments you see. Dude looks the same.

Exactly the same. It seems that he just starts overthinking in situations and walks way too many hitters that lead to the disaster innings that show up almost every time he pitches.

That might help but I think his biggest problem is that he doesn't have good command of any of his pitches but most importantly his fastball. He can throw strikes but he rarely hits the target.

Hopefully if he concentrates on three it will be easier for him to command at least two of them.

Hopefully if he concentrates on three it will be easier for him to command at least two of them.
Just go with a two seamer, 4 seamer, and pick a breaking pitch, curve or slider. That's only two pitches really but I agree he should simplify things. He wants to be something he's not.

I agree in part. He has to refine some of his arsenal. His CH was devastating when he threw it for strikes today back to back hitters. Before that Palmer correctly noted how he came across his body throwing it and it wasn't close to where Wieters set up. It is a definitely a plus pitch and I think he doesn't focus enough on it because he's constantly throwing two seamers and four seamers. Pick one, ditch the other. My preference would be to keep the four seamer. His two seamer, while contributing to his great "stuff" his the pitch I see him having the most difficult time commanding. And I agree with the breaking stuff, CB or SL not both. That CB is a nasty pitch.

FB, CH and CB to focus on would leave him a lot less to think about.

The team talks about depth at starting pitching and then they start Jake fourth game of year. When is Steve Johnson going to be healthy.. He appears to be our only option for fifth starter. Trade Jake for a bag of balls

Archived