Jake Arrieta - so frustrating to watch this guy pitch. Talented, but erratic. Will he ever put it to

BamaOsFan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck and Duke better be prepared to move on quickly from Jake. Outings like today are simply games we can't afford to have. We have too many other options, these games are too winnable and too important to lose, and we can't tax our bullpen every 5th day for a guy who crumbles with men on base, walks too many guys, and can't consistently pitch past the 5th inning.

Go Jurrjens, then Gausman, and soon.

I dont see Arrieta ever putting it together, atleast as a SP. Too inconsistant. Many of pitchers with great stuff have failed. Usually you start to see some improvements from a guy. But Jake looks like the same as he always does. Is cruising for 3 or 4 innings, then loses command, and he cant stop the bleeding once it starts.

Buck and Duke better be prepared to move on quickly from Jake. Outings like today are simply games we can't afford to have. We have too many other options, these games are too winnable and too important to lose, and we can't tax our bullpen every 5th day for a guy who crumbles with men on base, walks too many guys, and can't consistently pitch past the 5th inning.

Yes. Let's quit on Arrieta after one inning that combined a couple bad pitches with some bad luck.

I'm abnormally patient, though. I'd give him two bad innings before releasing him.

This is why I always just shake my head when I heard people talking about the O's having so many options in the rotation. Like I said, theres a difference between quality depth, depth, and just havi.g arms to throw out there. The O's imo are somewhere between depth and just having arms to throw out there. The SP is where I was hoping the Orioles would improve on the most.

I agree. I'm done pulling for the guy. I'm all for supporting the whole team, but he is nothing but frustrating. Perhaps in a long reliever role when we are getting blown up or an emergency role he would do better. I just don't see him staying in the rotation for very long this year.

Yes. Let's quit on Arrieta after one inning that combined a couple bad pitches with some bad luck.

I'm abnormally patient, though. I'd give him two bad innings before releasing him.

This is a guy who has never shown he's capable of limiting walks and pitch counts, and never shown the consistent ability to work deep into games. He's only ever pitched well in spring training and even a stat-head such as yourself knows we can't put much stock into that.

I was on record saying Arrieta won't succeed in spring training when it became obvious the O's were going with him in the rotation. In the East every single win or loss makes a huge difference, and using Arrieta over our other options and being patient with him is inefficient and the wrong move.

I would trade Jake in a minute. He has been given plenty of opportunities to prove himself and he has failed. I hope the Orioles option him to Norfolk after the game. Roch mentioned this as a possibility in his blog today.

If this happens, they should force him to pitch out of the stretch all the time.

It's been more than just one bad inning. He's 27 years old and has shown zero improvement in three seasons. In fact, he's gotten progressively worse. His ERA+ has gone from 89 in 2010, 83 in 11, and 69 last year. At what point should the O's say enough is enough?

Archived