Jake Arrieta - so frustrating to watch this guy pitch. Talented, but erratic. Will he ever put it to

BamaOsFan

Frustrating, yes. Also, St. Nick looked like a slug going after that ball. For a split second it looked like Chris Davis (speed wise).

You talking about the triple? I just watched the replay and yeah, that had to have been a combo of him playing shallow and just not getting a good jump on the ball. The ball landed before the warning track. RF is not that big at Camden Yards, you need to get to that.

BUT Dozier is not a power hitter. I didn't see where Nick started off the play but I would guess he was shallow against the RH non-power hitter.

Also, the first run was scored on a hit in which Arrieta sawed off the hitter's bat. You don't get much worse luck than that. Break the hitter's bat in half and he hits an RBI single up the middle.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. I'm done pulling for the guy. I'm all for supporting the whole team, but he is nothing but frustrating. Perhaps in a long reliever role when we are getting blown up or an emergency role he would do better. I just don't see him staying in the rotation for very long this year.

Good grief you bail on the guy already? What kind of fan is that? This is the first game for him this season. Yes he can be frustrat

This is a guy who has never shown he's capable of limiting walks and pitch counts, and never shown the consistent ability to work deep into games. He's only ever pitched well in spring training and even a stat-head such as yourself knows we can't put much stock into that.

I was on record saying Arrieta won't succeed in spring training when it became obvious the O's were going with him in the rotation. In the East every single win or loss makes a huge difference, and using Arrieta over our other options and being patient with him is inefficient and the wrong move.

Yes. The Orioles are only starting him because he has blackmail pictures of Peter Angelos. He has no ability or hope. Buck is just a pawn in a sinister game. And Duquette.

It's been more than just one bad inning. He's 27 years old and has shown zero improvement in three seasons. In fact, he's gotten progressively worse. His ERA+ has gone from 89 in 2010, 83 in 11, and 69 last year. At what point should the O's say enough is enough?

You do realize that ERA or ERA+ are imperfect measures of talent and future outcomes, right? The Orioles will give him chances as long as they believe he gives them their best potential outcomes now and going forward.

In order for me to be frustrated, I need to have expectations.

With Arrieta, I have no expectations at all. He is what he is.

Really? I would have thought with Jake actually winning a rotation spot our expectations would be higher. No Matter, with Tillman and Johnson coming off the dl soon Jake could go back to Norfolk. Easy enough.

Congratulations on a truly terrible post.

I see the practice of equivocating an inability to iron out mechanics and command consistently with mental deficiency is alive and well.

Are you actually suggesting that a poor inning doesn't mean a ballplayer is a lazy psychopath? What insane world do you come from?

I am frustrated that Jake just walked the first guy he faced after the O's took him off the hook for his earlier bad inning. That really drives me nuts, and I recall Jake doing that last year and Buck nearly exploding.

You do realize that ERA or ERA+ are imperfect measures of talent and future outcomes, right? The Orioles will give him chances as long as they believe he gives them their best potential outcomes now and going forward.

They won't believe that. He doesn't deserve repeated chances when all he's done is struggle, especially with other guys who deserve a shot and who have experience waiting to take his spot. And two prospects who could be much better options than him in a month or two.

He's put our bullpen in a precarious position for the rest of this series. This is a game we should win, but he's made this game close. The fact that he's done this over and over and over again isn't lost on Buck and Duke, especially Buck, who hates having to tax his bullpen unnecessarily.

Yes. The Orioles are only starting him because he has blackmail pictures of Peter Angelos. He has no ability or hope. Buck is just a pawn in a sinister game. And Duquette.

This is a ridiculous post. I never said, nor implied, anything of the sort.

I'm just saying the Orioles should be quick to move on. Honestly, I don't believe he should make another start until Jurrjens, Gausman, and Steve Johnson have all been given a shot. But I'm confident they will move away from Arrieta quickly, since Duquette has shown to be very pro-active when it comes to these decisions.

I'm very surprised someone as observant as you is so blind to Arrieta's mediocrity. Or so willing to forgive it and be patient with a guy who isn't a quality major league starter.

They won't believe that. He doesn't deserve repeated chances when all he's done is struggle, especially with other guys who deserve a shot and who have experience waiting to take his spot. And two prospects who could be much better options than him in a month or two.

He's put our bullpen in a precarious position for the rest of this series. This is a game we should win, but he's made this game close. The fact that he's done this over and over and over again isn't lost on Buck and Duke, especially Buck, who hates having to tax his bullpen unnecessarily.

So Buck and Duquette are starting him why? Are they not very bright, or just stuck because Matusz et al are even more ridiculously horriffic?

Congratulations on a truly terrible post.

I see the practice of equivocating an inability to iron out mechanics and command consistently with mental deficiency is alive and well.

None of you guys ever saw Major League where Crash Davis says Nuke Laloosh has a million dollar arm and a ten cent head? A really talented guy who simply can't control it? It was just a reference to that adjusted for inflation. I didn't realize Jake's family posted here.

Archived