Ken Rosenthal's take on where Soriono will go?!?!

caljr

Ok fine, i am done with this..It is obvious you are either not that bright or you don't want to answer the question so when Soriano gets 7/110, you can say that PA is a cheap SOB who didn't pay enough to get him.

you're calling me dumb, but then you're putting words in my mouth ? that's always the sign of a true: intellectual ;)

I just said I would do 7/105, yet you say 7/110, hmm :confused:

Strawman fallacies don't work. Moreover, they are indicative of people so insecure in their own argument that they have to resort to fabricating arguments that you've never made to argue against. Desperation at its worst. Whatever happened to honest disagereement ? :(

BTW, Shouldn't you be devising some crazy trade to procure a lifetime .220 1b about now ?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you're calling me dumb, but then you're putting words in my mouth ? that's always the sign of a true: intellectual ;)

I just said I would do 7/105, yet you say 7/110, hmm :confused:

Strawman fallacies don't work. Moreover, they are indicative of people so insecure in their own argument that they have to resort to fabricating arguments that you've never made to argue against. Desperation at its worst. Whatever happened to honest disagereement ? :(

BTW, Shouldn't you be devising some crazy trade to procure a lifetime .220 1b about now ?

So, you are saying that 7/105 is the absolute highest you would go, correct?

So, if the Dodgers sign Soriano for 7/110, you will not be upset we didn't offer more?

I see you avoided providing a number... I'm simply asking you what you think the payroll should be?

No you're not simply asking, you're providing an extreme example (as per usual)

Since Petey won't open the books, we can only speculate. The O's could afford 89 million in 1998. Its safe to assume that they've been well under their allocated budgey for the past 8 years. Therefore, as an unscientific guess, I think they could easily afford 100-110 million in 2007, especially considering that they could afford 89 million in 98 in a less profitable MLB

Yes. For the same reason I'd hate to see the O's do something stupid even if it helps for a year or two if the cost is having to let Bedard or Markakis or Loewen walk because of finances.

Because it would be so much better for them to leave so they can play for a winner right ????:eek::eek::eek:

Another thing to consider in regards to how much money we should offer Soriono is the fact that from everything we are hearing from the media... baseball is making more money now than ever. I can't remember who it was that said it, but one of the espn guys said that in a couple of years, a $100 million payroll would be the norm, not the exception. If that is the case, we will have many teams spending money on guys and handing out contracts that will seem at the time to be rediculous. I think if we give Soriono a 7 year $105 million contract, we will not be regretting it in another 3 years. In fact, we may even see it as a bargain, much like we do now with Tejada's contract.

So, you are saying that 7/105 is the absolute highest you would go, correct?

So, if the Dodgers sign Soriano for 7/110, you will not be upset we didn't offer more?

If the Orioles offer Soriano 105 million and he doesn't accept, I will consider that a worthwhile and honest effort on our part.

Is that in anyway still ambiguous to you ?

Another thing to consider in regards to how much money we should offer Soriono is the fact that from everything we are hearing from the media... baseball is making more money now than ever. I can't remember who it was that said it, but one of the espn guys said that in a couple of years, a $100 million payroll would be the norm, not the exception. If that is the case, we will have many teams spending money on guys and handing out contracts that will seem at the time to be rediculous. I think if we give Soriono a 7 year $105 million contract, we will not be regretting it in another 3 years. In fact, we may even see it as a bargain, much like we do now with Tejada's contract.

There is something to be said for what you are saying here.

Will our payroll be more like 110 million in 3 years? What kind of impact does the rising economics of baseball and MASN play on us in a few years?

Also, if Soriano was given a 6/94 contract from us, what would that have been a few years ago? What would the equivalent have been 2-3 years ago to that deal.

You're using the wrestler fallacy argument. You're trying to pin him down to a specific answer. He obviously wrestled in HS and was pinned in every match and that has carried over to this message board. It's called Idontwanttobeonmyback phobia and it's very real. So lighten up scarecrow! :(

This might be the absolute worst attempt at humor that I have ever personally witnessed. I feel dirty :SuN024:

If the Orioles offer Soriano 105 million and he doesn't accept, I will consider that a worthwhile and honest effort on our part.

Is that in anyway still ambiguous to you ?

If you would have said that from the very beginning, none of this other discussion would have been needed.

Soriano wants five years for between $75 million and $85 million, plus an option year, according to the executive — though a guaranteed sixth year seems likely, given the demand.

An offer of six years between $90 million and $102 million should be what the Orioles present to Soriano...take it or leave it.

No you're not simply asking, you're providing an extreme example (as per usual)

Since Petey won't open the books, we can only speculate. The O's could afford 89 million in 1998. Its safe to assume that they've been well under their allocated budgey for the past 8 years. Therefore, as an unscientific guess, I think they could easily afford 100-110 million in 2007, especially considering that they could afford 89 million in 98 in a less profitable MLB

Indeed, it is all speculation. The best estimate we have is Forbes. In 2005 it shows EBIDTA of +21m. Will likely not be much better in 2006 as I'd think the big decline in attendance likely would eat increases from other revenue streams. Therefore IMO I see the ceiling in the short term at about $90m.

If you were told that payroll wasn't going to be one penny over $80m would you sign Soriano to a contract at upwards of $16m a year?

How about if the payroll was at $90m? The point (which I thought was rather straitforward) I was trying to make is that if we had the Red Sox or Yankees payroll dollars available I'd be a lot more willing to take a huge risk on someone like Soriano than I would if I'd be using up 17-20% of my available payroll resources to get the production I think we'd get from Soriano.

Because it would be so much better for them to leave so they can play for a winner right ????:eek::eek::eek:

Teams like Minnesota and Oakland have won w/o bad contracts, why can't Baltimore?

Indeed, it is all speculation. The best estimate we have is Forbes. In 2005 it shows EBIDTA of +21m. Will likely not be much better in 2006 as I'd think the big decline in attendance likely would eat increases from other revenue streams. Therefore IMO I see the ceiling in the short term at about $90m.

If you were told that payroll wasn't going to be one penny over $80m would you sign Soriano to a contract at upwards of $16m a year?

How about if the payroll was at $90m? The point (which I thought was rather straitforward) I was trying to make is that if we had the Red Sox or Yankees payroll dollars available I'd be a lot more willing to take a huge risk on someone like Soriano than I would if I'd be using up 17-20% of my available payroll resources to get the production I think we'd get from Soriano.

Teams like Minnesota and Oakland have won w/o bad contracts, why can't Baltimore?

Who cares what OAk and MN have done? They don't have Camden Yards

What about the MASN money ????

Well, they lost in the World Series. By your logic, I guess that means their investments didn't pay off, huh?

My logic ??? I guess you've conveniently forgotten the voluminous posts that we debated on this subject in July ?????

But to answer your ridiculous question, of course not. They've officially returned to respectabilty.

Last year they lost more games than the Orioles. Not too long ago, they lost 122 games and were MLB's unequiovical laughingstock.

Do you really need this explained to you ????:confused::confused:

Archived