Ken Rosenthal's take on where Soriono will go?!?!

caljr

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting that he said that an AL GM said Baltimore for 6/94 when asked where he'd end up and for how much. I agree though the highest bidder will get him obviously. GMat liked having him as a teammate, called him "a big time player."

I think the chances of him doing a .800 ops is pretty good in 2010-2012. By that time, he will be what 34-36 years old. The chances of him dropping in production by this time are that good. I don't think we can go by the old theory that a player peaks offensively at 30 and steadily declines from there. I think with modern technology whether that is hgh or something else, players are finding a way to be productive through their mid 30s and into their late 30s in many cases. If Soriono was a pitcher, I would be concerned about signing him to a long term contract, but as a left fielder, I don't think we should be concerned at all. This is the player we should be targeting this offseason and we should overpay if that is what it takes.

I think the chances of him doing a .800 ops is pretty good in 2010-2012. By that time, he will be what 34-36 years old. The chances of him dropping in production by this time are that good. I don't think we can go by the old theory that a player peaks offensively at 30 and steadily declines from there. I think with modern technology whether that is hgh or something else, players are finding a way to be productive through their mid 30s and into their late 30s in many cases. If Soriono was a pitcher, I would be concerned about signing him to a long term contract, but as a left fielder, I don't think we should be concerned at all. This is the player we should be targeting this offseason and we should overpay if that is what it takes.

Why is it Alou can post consistantly high OPS in his late 30's but everyone seems to think it is a lock that Soriano can't make it past 35. Is Alou that much the superior athlete?

If they do give Soriano that contract, i hope they give him a big signing bonus and pay 1/10 or more of the contract up front(in addition to the first year's salary).

why do you always want our team to do the finacially dumb thing of front loading new contracts. Something in finance 101 you learn you ONLY do when forced to?

why do you always want our team to do the finacially dumb thing of front loading new contracts. Something in finance 101 you learn you ONLY do when forced to?

Plus I think front loaded contracts are not allowed in MLB. Of course with the time value of money you always want to hold out as long as possible, but I am thinking of it as if we make it an even base contract we could trade him off easily.

Archived