Saunders, The Sheriff & Andino: All 3 Improve This Team

Rene88

Who would have thought?

Well, I would have thought for Saunders. I was burned up we didn't resign him. Stupid decision IMO. Yet the organization given another shot to the usual suspects.

Mark Reynolds-great defensively at 1B or at the very least, a HUGE upgrade at DH for us.

Andino: Do I need to state who is there for us now? I would trade Castilla for Andino back in a heartbeat. I never thought that would have been the case...but very true.

Sometimes status quo isn't so bad...funny.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The eight thousand times we discussed these three over the winter wasn't enough? They're all good team chemistry guys, but none are essential to us, as can be seen from our winning record.

Saunders has been bad (at times atrociously bad) this year except one start against the Astros. Reynolds is doing ok but you're seriously overrating him, and judging by Chris Davis so far it appears we made the correct decision. If you still don't think that check back in 4 months and see how Reynolds is going, does he still have his K% under 30% and is his 1B defense really that good? Andino is a replacement level player, equivalent to any of a dozen guys in the minors, and probably won't even be a Mariner in a month when Seattle calls up thier SS prospect Franklin.

They do have Jurrjens, Garcia and Steve Johnson in AAA, so i can see why they didnt think Saunders was needed. Andino just couldnt hit. Reynolds supposedly didnt want to DH and neither does Davis so something had to give there.

I was in favor of resigning Saunders and Reynolds. Saunders hasn't had a great start, but the Orioles 5th starters' spot has been poor. Reynolds has played great and probably would have been a better hitter so far than Reimold/Pearce.

Edit: Not to Monday morning QB too much here; I wanted both back, but didn't think it was a huge mistake to let them go.

I was an Andino fan when he was here and loved his energy and clubhouse presence... but we're really wringing our hands over a guy with a .506 OPS?! Casilla, for reference, is at .577.

Who would have thought?

Well, I would have thought for Saunders. I was burned up we didn't resign him. Stupid decision IMO. Yet the organization given another shot to the usual suspects.

Mark Reynolds-great defensively at 1B or at the very least, a HUGE upgrade at DH for us.

Andino: Do I need to state who is there for us now? I would trade Castilla for Andino back in a heartbeat. I never thought that would have been the case...but very true.

Sometimes status quo isn't so bad...funny.

I disagree with everything about this post.

Anyone saying they wish we still had Andino is purely being reactionary to tonight's game. He has a .500 OPS on the season and the M's don't want him to be their starter at 2B. If he were still on the O's, you would be berating them for not trying someone else there, no matter who that "someone else" was.

I can understand where those who feel that Reynolds was not necessary are coming from. (even if I disagree) But I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can look at this team's starting pitching and feel like standing pat this past off season was a smart plan.

This team is talented and can, is and should be competitive, but the lack of starting pitching on this team very well might end up being the difference between playoffs or no playoffs.

Going light on the starting pitching and depending upon the bullpen, given the unpredictability, year-to-year of such players, is not a sound plan, imo. Beyond even the unpredictability aspect, the lack of IP from the starters will and can overtax your bullpen, as we're already seeing.

Saunders performance tonight bests every single pitching performance we've had this year. Hate to say it but the OP is right on. Sometimes you gotta pay for quality, the bargain basement approach will only take you so far.

Saunders performance tonight bests every single pitching performance we've had this year. Hate to say it but the OP is right on. Sometimes you gotta pay for quality, the bargain basement approach will only take you so far.

Look up Chen's last start :rolleyes:

Archived