Swisher to White Sox

rammyfanny

Does Kenny Willaims have another choice?

Now he doesn't. But it's not like somebody twisted his arm and forced him to trade for Swisher. Apparently he played something like 52 games in CF for the A's last year so he has a chance to be at least an average CF for the Sox. I still find it hilarious that they think they can contend in the AL Central.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now he doesn't. But it's not like somebody twisted his arm and forced him to trade for Swisher. Apparently he played something like 52 games in CF for the A's last year so he has a chance to be at least an average CF for the Sox. I still find it hilarious that they think they can contend in the AL Central.

No one applied physical pressure, but I am certain he wants to continue to be paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars to run a high profile sports franchise in a huge market, and his boss wants to win now. I'm pretty sure that's a fairly coercive force.

This is perhaps the biggest win now move he could make.

They got a better package for swisher than they did for Haren IMO.

Wouldn't that be the expectation?

Swisher is under contract for 4 years plus an option in year 5 that will be well below market and almost certainly picked up.

He is still young and perhaps his biggest asset (plate discipline) is a skill that ages well anyway. Not to say its a good deal but I think people don't initially realize what a valuable property Swisher is.

But mapierce is spot on, this is the AL central. Miggy and Dontrelle are new Tigers and the Indians are stacked.

Wouldn't that be the expectation?

Swisher is under contract for 4 years plus an option in year 5 that will be well below market and almost certainly picked up.

He is still young and perhaps his biggest asset (plate discipline) is a skill that ages well anyway. Not to say its a good deal but I think people don't initially realize what a valuable property Swisher is.

But mapierce is spot on, this is the AL central. Miggy and Dontrelle are new Tigers and the Indians are stacked.

No...I would expect the ace pitcher to go for more.

No...I would expect the ace pitcher to go for more.

Its not just "ace" pitcher v. "whatever adjective" hitter, but

"ace" pitcher for 08:$4M, 09:$5.5M, 10:$6.75M club option

v.

"whatever adjective" hitter for 08:$3.5M, 09:$5.3M, 10:$6.75M, 11:$9M, 12:$10.25M club option ($1M buyout)

* 2012 option increases to $12M with top 5 in MVP vote any year 2007-11

I agree if there was an ace pitcher in this equation. When I look at Haren's numbers I don't see ace pitcher. I'm not even sure I see a #2 pitcher long term (though he was certainly that good or even slightly better last year). Haren is a very good pitcher but he wouldn't be in the top 20 if I were drafting starting pitchers for my new MLB team. He might be in the top 30. Maybe.

I think many would disagree with you though(not saying I do).

Many people were putting him right up there with Bedard and Santana...Yes, they said he was behind them but still mentioning his name in the same breath.

Archived