Anyone see the blown replay call in Clev and A's game

BaltimoreO's

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty bad, but I couldn't tell until they showed the zoomed-in view, and we don't know if the umpires had that camera angle available.

Also, even with the better view, the announcers still got it wrong, saying that it bounced off the top of the wall, hit the railing, and came back - instead, it just bounced down off the rail.

It's a bad call, especially with replay and considering the situation, but I think the failure may possibly be systematic (why didn't the umps have the best camera angle?) instead of judgmental.

I saw it. I also saw almost the entire Athletics team stare down Angel Hernandez as he left the field. Good for them. Gotta think Bob Melvin files a protest.

I don't think a blown call is grounds for a protest.

I saw it. I also saw almost the entire Athletics team stare down Angel Hernandez as he left the field. Good for them. Gotta think Bob Melvin files a protest.

Has a protest ever changed anything? It gives the team a venue to complain, but the league issues so some bs statement to support umps. If they were ever to change anything, the DET pitcher should have had a no hitter.

The umps ruled that the evidence was inconclusive, so it wouldn't matter. Fact is...they just screwed it up...horribly.
During one particular tirade with an umpire, Weaver headed to the dugout screaming, "I'm going to check the rule-book on that" to which the umpire replied, "Here, use mine." Weaver shot back, "That's no good – I can't read Braille."

Some things video review can't change.

I don't think a blown call is grounds for a protest.

Once they are reviewed they cant be protested is the rule. I was a horrible call no doubt, but not being able to protest it because it was reviewed is worse. The call violated ground rules, which is protestable.

Has a protest ever changed anything? It gives the team a venue to complain, but the league issues so some bs statement to support umps. If they were ever to change anything, the DET pitcher should have had a no hitter.

The only one that immediately comes to mind is the George Brett Pine Tar game. He was called out during the game; call was protested; protest was upheld and the game was finished at some point in the future.

It's very rare that a protest is upheld even when all evidence points to the umps being wrong. I still remember Earl coming out of the dugout with a rule book to prove that he was right - the ump didn't care and if the game was protested (not sure if it was) the league office did not change the original ruling

I only one that immediately comes to mind is the George Brett Pine Tar game. He was called out during the game; call was protested; protest was upheld and the game was finished at some point in the future.

That was back in the day of league presidents who actually asserted the authority they had, though (for better or worse).

Archived