TT: Gausman's time will come, but it's not now

Tony-OH

Is 9% a lot? Haha I have no idea.

I'm glad you asked. :D

There are 152 starters who have thrown at least 100 four-seam fastballs this season.

Kevin Gausman's 10.71% WHIFF/Swing rate on his fastball is 136 out of 152.

BTW, of those 152 starter, Gausman's 96.44 average velocity is number one! Strasburg is number two at 96.26 MPH and has a 15.16% WHIFF/Swing rate which was 74 out of 152. Oh, Yu Darvish is number with a 37.80% WHIFF/Swing rate on 242 fastballs. Not surprisingly, batters hit .098 of fastballs.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hunter is getting 9% whiffs, compared to Gausman's 5.6%.

Hunter gets a 19.33% WHIFF/swing rate on his 4-seam fastball according to BP. That's 67 out of 142 relievers who have thrown 100 fastballs this season. I prefer to use WHIFF/swing rate since it gives you a better idea of how many times they are missing when swinging at a pitch compared to just the total number of pitches (including balls) they saw and missed.

Here's a pretty interesting work on WHIFF/Swing rates. http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2012/10/10/3481462/mlb-strikeouts-analysis-sabermetrics-whiffs

Pedro Martinez is considered to have one of the finest change ups ever, and at his prime he sat at 94 or so with his fastball and 80-81 with his change. There was also a study on MPH difference (focused on Darvish) and the results of that were that the more difference, the better.

The other thing that is lost in the data Tony provided is with KG being in the middle so much it is logical to assume that the majority of is inside and outside in the zone sector pitches are pitches that tend towards the middle edge of the sectors.

He just cannot stay. At least Arrieta gave us a punchers chance. with Kevin it's like we're knocked out before the game even starts.

The difference to me is that I think Gausman will get much better. I don't feel the same about Arrieta.

The scouting report on Gausman coming out was that he had a poor breaking pitches and no fastball command.

Nothing has changed. I get so tired of Orioles starters not able to hit the inside and outside corners with their fastball. I don't think Gausman will ever locate well.

The scouting report on Gausman coming out was that he had a poor breaking pitches and no fastball command.

Nothing has changed. I get so tired of Orioles starters not able to hit the inside and outside corners with their fastball. I don't think Gausman will ever locate well.

Where is this scouting report of which you speak?

Didn't see the game yet. 2 stinkers out of 4, 1 bad, and 1 good. If there was someone to step in, I'd say send him down, but there isn't. I'd give him one more to show something. Another bad start and he goes down.
The one good game out of four, Wieters wasn't behind the dish. Coincidence?

The one good game out of four, Wieters wasn't behind the dish. Coincidence?

So you think it might be more than just bad luck as Bordick kept talking about how good those pitches were, but just happened to get hit . . . . . . . . . :bangwall:

Archived