TT: Gausman's time will come, but it's not now

Tony-OH

The scouting report on Gausman coming out was that he had a poor breaking pitches and no fastball command.

Nothing has changed. I get so tired of Orioles starters not able to hit the inside and outside corners with their fastball. I don't think Gausman will ever locate well.

Why in the hell can't you give him a chance? He was in AA before coming up.

Dammit give him a chance before you decide he belongs on the trash heap.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it is this. \

Young guy that throws over 94 with command of the pitches most of the time.

I would say it is about time to explain that he should be sawing off the bat on the hands, whenever they are set and taking out their feet when they get too comfortable in the box. Then those secondary pitches will be gold..

Just a thought

I'm not here to troll but Gausman has had 3 terrible starts and 1 good one . He's not ready on a contender .maybe you live with it five years ago but not now. We should go with Johnson or Britton or get a trade done

I think he fits in with the O's

So what is to be done with Gausman? Option him to Bowie or Norfolk? And put who in the rotation? McFarland? I feel like you have to send him down at this point.

It's not like we don't have other options for Gausman. He HAS to be sent to Norfolk. Let's be real, the reviews in Bowie were essentially that his numbers were better than the eyeball test reflected on him. And even then, I'm not sure what about 2-4 with a 3.11 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP in AA screams call this guy up to the bigs. IMO, it was a mistake to call him up when we did. I DO think he's ready for Norfolk. The hitters are more patient in AAA, they can do some damage on bad pitches. And I'd like to see him get some work with Griffin.

As for what we'd do without him... well, I can think of many other guys on the staff who can post an ERA below 8 as a starter.

They really need to find some starting pitching both to help the big league team and to help the prospects like Gausman and Bundy. If they had capable starters they would be able to let him learn in AA and improve himself and potentially come up and pitch out of the pen in September. I hope they haven't ruined him long term with this audition.

Gaus doesn't belong on the trash heap, but he does belong in AA Bowie. I give Buck and DD the benefit of the doubt on these matters but I'm questioning this move.

The problem with sending him down is that he doesn't have to improve to succeed in the minors. He will only get better facing major league hitters. If the starting situation were more stable, it might make sense to move him to the bullpen for a few months, the way they did it back in the old days.

The most disturbing thing for me from yesterday was the lack of ground ball outs. 6 strikeouts, but only two ground ball outs. There were actually more line drive outs than grounders. Even if he remains a fly ball/strikeout pitcher, he has got to get better at inducing ground balls. Aside from being a terrible waste of a great infield, it makes it a lot harder to get out of a jam when you virtually eliminate the possibility of a ground ball double play.

Somebody please tell me what game Showalter was watching. Gausman threw 4.1 innings using up 90 pitches and gave up 8 hits and 7earned runs. His ERA is now just shy of 9 and opponents are batting .346 against him.

But all is well according to Showalter and Gausman isn't going anywhere:

"I think he was pretty good, all things considered. You score one run in 18 innings, things like that, that's more of the emphasis where I'm at. He had a good fastball, and the mistakes he made were probably with his breaking ball, off-speed pitches. I liked a lot of things about him today. I did.

"I just didn't really look at his outing like a struggle outing. I'm looking more at the one run in 18 innings. It's a real testament to their pitching. I'm not going to spend a lot of time personally dwelling on Gaus. He's going to give us a lot of chances to win. Just a pitch away. Had a couple balls that found some holes. He'll learn from it. He's a tough kid and he'll get great support. He's going to pitch some good games for us."

"He made some really good pitches and had a couple balls fall in against him. Maybe I'm being too positive in some people's minds, but I'm OK with him today. Just not much margin for error when you know you're not scoring runs. But I think he's got a chance to be a really good pitcher. We've just got to continue to help him tweak a few things, and he'll get it done."

Really? He would have been better off not saying anything. He sounds like Baghdad Bob: "We defeated them yesterday. God willing, I will provide you with more information."

Because he's sucking so much that he's taking us out of the pennant race. This isn't little league. He's playing a man's league where it's about getting it done and winning. AKA, Major League Baseball.

We all want Gausman to succeed. Some believe his was rushed, others think the time is now.

He pitched well against the Tigers and that isn't easy I am sure.

However, when he is bad. He is bad we aren't even in the game and gives us no shot at winning. That isn't good.

Archived