Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blaming the catcher for pitchers having bad games is comical. Pitcher can throw whatever he wants. He can watch as much film on other team as he wants.

So we are supposed to rave about how Wieters handles the pitching staff, but can't criticize? Can't have it both ways.

I'm happy with Matt but he needs to be hitting 8th. 1-4, Davis, DH, Hardy, Matt, 2B

Davis won't see many strikes in the second half if they don't find a better hitter behind him. I know the DH spot hasn't been great but Valencia/Dickerson is a better option for the 6 hole and Betemit/Reimold may help later on... or go get a better DH option. Matt being a very good catcher and having a little pop from the 8th spot is a better asset.

So we are supposed to rave about how Wieters handles the pitching staff, but can't criticize? Can't have it both ways.

No that is just as silly. Pitching is done by the pitcher. He gets the praise or criticism. The catcher can help the pitcher by being good defensively.

His OBP is only 13 points higher than Brendan Ryans, his OPS is only 12 points higher than Kawasakis, and his slugging is only 77 points higher than Flahertys. To say he has been would awful be an understatement.

Matt is what he is- an excellent defensive catcher with limited offensive skills. He at least needs to hit eighth until he demonstrates better.

I agree. I hate the way I feel about him right now, but he inspires NO confidence when at bat.

He looks like a pitcher batting to me. Disinterested in the whole business, like, why am I hitting it's not my job? Bat him 7th bat him 8th, what's the difference? Whooooo Ryan Flaherty hit 2 HR today, lets bat him ahead of Wieters.

His OBP is only 13 points higher than Brendan Ryans, his OPS is only 12 points higher than Kawasakis, and his slugging is only 77 points higher than Flahertys. To say he has been would awful be an understatement.

In a week Flaherty will probably have a higher OPS than him.

Archived