Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

Have not posted in a long time but, once I read all these comments I have to honestly say to anyone who is honestly better catcher then Wieters other then Mauer and Posey? Wieters is what he is which is a great defensive catcher who has good pop with his bat. Honestly what are we upset with Wieters about that he's not hitting .300+ or his 8 homers are not enough not even half way through a season? We have bigger worries (bullpen and 2nd base) to be arguing over this. Just pathetic.

Yadier Molina? Brian McCann?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come 2016, if and when Matt is in another uniform, me thinks there's going to be a some fans traumatically laying down in the tub, the shower running, rocking back and forth while in a fetal position, holding an empty bottle of jack, with something like "Don't Know What You Got" by Cinderella blaring in the background. (Heck of a run-on, I know)

Look, I get being upset that Matt didn't end up a being a big bat, It hurts. But take a moment of silence to remember some of the retreads the O's have had behind the plate in between Hoiles and Wieters. Then I'm pretty sure, If you look at Wieters along those lines, you'll find some peace.

Have not posted in a long time but, once I read all these comments I have to honestly say to anyone who is honestly better catcher then Wieters other then Mauer and Posey? Wieters is what he is which is a great defensive catcher who has good pop with his bat. Honestly what are we upset with Wieters about that he's not hitting .300+ or his 8 homers are not enough not even half way through a season? We have bigger worries (bullpen and 2nd base) to be arguing over this. Just pathetic.

Pop in his bat? Seriously? He's the easiest out in the lineup. You are right about the fact that we have other problems though.

Pop in his bat? Seriously? He's the easiest out in the lineup. You are right about the fact that we have other problems though.
I don't know how you define it, but a guy who's slumping and still on pace for 22 HR and 91 RBI has pop in my book.

Molina sure, but McCann? Last year he hit .230 with 67 RBI and this year he is hitting .253 with 17 RBI. Not to mention defense. I guess the grass is always greener.

Come on. HR's and RBI's? McCann has a wRC+ of 130 this year. He had a bad year last year (better than Wieters is having so far this year though).

McCann has a career wRC+ of 117 as compared to Wieters wRC+ of 98. Basically McCann has performed at about 20% better than Wieters on offense over their careers. They haven't even been close offensively.

Come on. HR's and RBI's? McCann has a wRC+ of 130 this year. He had a bad year last year (better than Wieters is having so far this year though).

McCann has a career wRC+ of 117 as compared to Wieters wRC+ of 98. Basically McCann has performed at about 20% better than Wieters on offense over their careers. They haven't even been close offensively.

And really offense is the only thing that matters with a C. The next position up from DH.

And really offense is the only thing that matters with a C. The next position up from DH.

Yep, nothing like an El Gordo strawman to get the day rolling.

Because, you know I forgot that defense for catchers is the only thing that counts and the rock solid defensive metrics for catchers are pretty much indisputable.

So McCann had a bad year last year but that doesn't matter. Wieters is having a bad start and they sky is falling. Understood.

As has been noted, that's simply incorrect. Wieters makes outs a lot less often than whomever is playing second, most nights whomever is DHing, and he's making outs less often than Chris Dickerson whenever he plays. And he's within a fraction of a percent of JJ Hardy and Danny Valencia.

Archived