Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has never been a good hitter. He does not even hit well for a catcher. He does have more pop for a catcher and gets more homers. Batting average and .OBP has always been in the middle of the pack for a catcher. His stats for homers are identical to last year on June 24th,9 homers both years. His RBI's are 37 compared to 32 last year. His doubles are 15 this year compared to 14 last year. His average was .239 on September 1,2012. This is what type of hitter he is. A little pop and not a great average or a guy who gets on base alot.

Disinterested in the whole business, like, why am I hitting it's not my job?

That's what I've been saying all along. It's doesn't seem he give a s$%^ or he completely has no offensive focus and it ticks me off! Someone on the team or coaching staff needs to light a fire under his butt.

Silver lining is we may be able to work a better contract out this offseason.

He looks like a pitcher batting to me. Disinterested in the whole business, like, why am I hitting it's not my job? Bat him 7th bat him 8th, what's the difference? Whooooo Ryan Flaherty hit 2 HR today, lets bat him ahead of Wieters.
That's what I've been saying all along. It's doesn't seem he give a s$%^ or he completely has no offensive focus and it ticks me off! Someone on the team or coaching staff needs to light a fire under his butt.

Silver lining is we may be able to work a better contract out this offseason.

If I were a player I'd make a mental note to pump my fists every once in a while, dive into first when I'm out by six steps like Billy Ripken, and definitely throw my helmet after a groundout. Just so the armchair psychologist fans would get off my back about not caring enough.

It's cool how physical execution is always 100% tied to mental weakness/strength. Otherwise we wouldn't know who's mailing it in and eating cheesy poofs and playing XBox when he should be in the cage.

Matt is what he is- an excellent defensive catcher with limited offensive skills. He at least needs to hit eighth until he demonstrates better.

I concur.

But I gave Hardy a hard time earlier and he's gotten himself together, so perhaps Matt'll pick it up in the second half.

What's frustrating is that Matt was such a beast in the minors. It just has not translated to the ML level. I truly believe it's a bat speed issue. He drags the bat. Was his swing different in the minors? How did he put up such numbers? Even when he first came up, I thought, that bat is slow.

Matt is costing himself gobs of money. At this point, I do think we should play out his arbitration years. I never thought I would say that. History tells that big catchers lose their defensive prowess. And if he loses that, then he really is league average.

I guess there is still time for his bat to come around, but he needs to make some serious adjustments.

If I were a player I'd make a mental note to pump my fists every once in a while, dive into first when I'm out by six steps like Billy Ripken, and definitely throw my helmet after a groundout. Just so the armchair psychologist fans would get off my back about not caring enough.

It's cool how physical execution is always 100% tied to mental weakness/strength. Otherwise we wouldn't know who's mailing it in and eating cheesy poofs and playing XBox when he should be in the cage.

So whats the deal then, a mechanical flaw? A lack of bat speed? If it's not mental please explain his regression at the plate. If it's bat speed and natural ability than there's no sense of keeping him around long term. We can find good defensive catchers who can also hit above .250 with decent pop.

I'm prefer his issues are mental and not physical. Don't mistake my frustration and doubt about his offensive mentality as hoping he doesn't turn it around.

For his career, his worst months have always been May and June. I have absolutely no idea why this would be, but it's been pretty consistent. He'll pick it up in August and September. But can you deal with having another terrible bat in the line-up for 2-3 months every year?

I remembered hearing (and thinking) that Matty was a better second-half hitter, but I looked up the numbers and while his OPS tends to go up about 60 points after the break, his average and on-base numbers are essentially the same. So maybe that's just from hitting those September expanded roster pitchers better, who knows. At this point, I have to agree that dropping him in the line-up to 7th or 8thwould make more sense. Tight game, late innings, runner on 2nd, Davis up, Wieters on deck hitting from the left side? I'd walk Davis, no doubt.

I concur.

But I gave Hardy a hard time earlier and he's gotten himself together, so perhaps Matt'll pick it up in the second half.

I think he will. What I don't understand is the hard feelings some fans have for

him. He is not hitting, acts like he doesn't care. Etc. Good I don't

The swing just looks terrible, especially from the left side. It's so long and slow. We all love Matt, and I know they're all working on hitting, but I'm not sure I even want him beyond 2015. Big catchers entering their 30s should not get big $ deals.

Archived