Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

It'd take a hell of a lot for me to want to trade him, but man I can't stand watching him hit. I recognize that he brings some pop from an offensive perspective but I never want to watch him hit. Whenever he steps to the plate it's a good excuse to hit the bathroom or make a sandwich.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really understand all the hand-wringing over Wieters' offense. He's doing pretty much the same thing he's done every season of his career. He always looks ice-cold around this time of the year, and then he turns it on in August/September.

So yes, it's disappointing that he hasn't progressed, but I wouldn't say he's regressed, either. At the end of the season, I'm betting his overall numbers will be pretty much the same as they are every year.

I don't really understand all the hand-wringing over Wieters' offense. He's doing pretty much the same thing he's done every season of his career. He always looks ice-cold around this time of the year, and then he turns it on in August/September.

So yes, it's disappointing that he hasn't progressed, but I wouldn't say he's regressed, either. At the end of the season, I'm betting his overall numbers will be pretty much the same as they are every year.

Every single year there's hand-wringing that he's only pretty good, not great.

Be very careful my friend. Criticizing Matt Wieters on this board is not looked upon too kindly. I've never seen a baseball community worship such a mediocre player. This town is crazy about Matt Wieters, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I'd trade Wieters for just about anyone right now. I'd rather have Flaherty up at the plate in a critical situation than Wieters. And if his offense is not pathetic enough, it's now impacting his defense. He has lost two pop-ups in just the past week alone. No, I don't think it's fair to expect Wieters to hit .350, even though that's what we were told to expect. Is it too much to ask him to be able to hit .250? I think Wieters is an albatross around the neck of this team. His ineptitude is bringing down the good energy on this club. I hope he turns out to have a great season. I want to be wrong about Wieters, but he keeps giving me reasons to want him off this team.

You can be critical about him all you won't. But some things that are said are way

over the top. He can't call good game. He doesn't go talk to a pitcher when he

needed to. And on and on. How many threads are needed to be critical of

Wieters? IMO

I'm SHOCKED that this is your 3rd Matt Wieters thread in less than a year.

EVERY TIME I WATCH BUSTER POSEY HIT ......

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/127515-Every-time-I-watch-Posey-hit

WIETERS IS PRETTY BAD OFFENSIVELY

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/123753-Wieters-is-pretty-bad-offensively

Yea and nothing I wrote in those threads was/is wrong either. And you're one to talk about making repeat threads.

Back to the Romper Room with you...adults are trying to talk.

Have not posted in a long time but, once I read all these comments I have to honestly say to anyone who is honestly better catcher then Wieters other then Mauer and Posey? Wieters is what he is which is a great defensive catcher who has good pop with his bat. Honestly what are we upset with Wieters about that he's not hitting .300+ or his 8 homers are not enough not even half way through a season? We have bigger worries (bullpen and 2nd base) to be arguing over this. Just pathetic.

Archived