Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

Yep, nothing like an El Gordo strawman to get the day rolling.

Because, you know I forgot that defense for catchers is the only thing that counts and the rock solid defensive metrics for catchers are pretty much indisputable.

Gordo is old school. He pines for Bill Bergen and the days when defense was whatever % of baseball you wished.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So McCann had a bad year last year but that doesn't matter. Wieters is having a bad start and they sky is falling. Understood.

LOL, Yeah I think my point was that one year is only one year and your original comment about Wieters offense being better or even comparable to McCann's based on BA's and HR's is ridiculously wrong.

LOL, Yeah I think my point was that one year is only one year and your original comment about Wieters offense being better than McCann's based on BA's and HR's is ridiculously wrong.

I didn't say his offense is better. I pointed out McCann is having a decent year and a bad one last year. I don't see how it's a slam dunk you would take McCann.

I didn't say his offense is better. I pointed out McCann is having a decent year and a bad one last year. I don't see how it's a slam dunk you would take McCann.

Well, here is your original quote.

Molina sure, but McCann? Last year he hit .230 with 67 RBI and this year he is hitting .253 with 17 RBI. Not to mention defense. I guess the grass is always greener.

In all fairness, I did edit my post to "better or comparable".

Seems to me you were dismissing McCann's offense and or comparing it to Wieters based on HR's and RBI's (last year and this year). McCann is posting a 130 wRC+ this year as compared to Wieters 87. Not to mention the career stats. The fact is (without cherry picking one off year and utilizing bad stats/analysis) McCann has been a far superior hitter as compared to Wieters offensively.

If you weren't trying to dismiss McCann's offense (as compared to Wieters) then what was your actual point?

If you weren't trying to dismiss McCann's offense (as compared to Wieters) then what was your actual point?

Based on the total player I wouldn't take McCann over Wieters right now in their careers. I'm sure a good argument could be made otherwise but that's my opinion.

Yep, nothing like an El Gordo strawman to get the day rolling.

Because, you know I forgot that defense for catchers is the only thing that counts and the rock solid defensive metrics for catchers are pretty much indisputable.

This would appear to be so. Because defense for catchers can't be measured accurately it's easier just to ignore it. There is a reason why he is widely regarded by those in baseball as one of the best defensive catchers in the game, regardless of what his current UZR or what ever, is. There is a reason why the position is regarded as the most important defensive position on a team.

Gordo is old school. He pines for Bill Bergen and the days when defense was whatever % of baseball you wished.
Yeah and new school is if I can't measure it, it is noise or doesn't exist. The reality of actually managing a baseball team involves personalities, egos, and pyschology. all of which you would regard as noise, more than anything you will find in the Book.

I don't know how you define it, but a guy who's slumping and still on pace for 22 HR and 91 RBI has pop in my book.

I don't think he is slumping. Look at 2012 at the same date and his stats are really close .Actually better in RBI's and doubles. This is what he is a .250,20 something homer and somewhere around 80 RBI player.

I don't think he is slumping. Look at 2012 at the same date and his stats are really close .Actually better in RBI's and doubles. This is what he is a .250,20 something homer and somewhere around 80 RBI player.

And that from a pretty darn good defensive catcher is fairly valuable. Its not what we wanted but it has value.

As has been noted, that's simply incorrect. Wieters makes outs a lot less often than whomever is playing second, most nights whomever is DHing, and he's making outs less often than Chris Dickerson whenever he plays. And he's within a fraction of a percent of JJ Hardy and Danny Valencia.

That's not really saying much. Our 2B is a void and we get nothing from DH as well. That's feeling better about yourself because you got a D+ on your math test when the kid next to you got an F.

bmoreosfan could fix his statement to say that "amongs our regular players, he's the easiest out in the lineup," and I don't think he'd be wrong

Seriously, of all the players that have started in at least half the games for the Orioles, who would be the batter you'd want to face with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the 9th when facing the Orioles?

I think he is playing hurt. And I am not referring to his offense I am referring to his D, which looks a little off to me.

Catchers get nicked up all of the time so I'm sure he's not 100%. I just don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary Wieters when I watch him.
I am referring to some remarks Buck made a few days ago about resting Wieters in a game. I think there was some reference to back issues. More than the usual nicks. He has had a few passed balls, which is not like him, and also struggled with some pop ups. And he is being rested more at this time of year than is usual.

They gave up 9 runs when Teagarden pitches ... lets see what the ERA of non-Wieters game is now...so tired of Wieters bashing, so last week...

Wonder who called the game tonight when we shut out the best offense in baseball...was it Teagarden?

Archived