Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

I'll say the same thing I've always said about Wieters. He stands too tall in the batters box. Then, he gets into slumps where he rolls over low pitches, and grounds out 4-3. I think if he were more crouched in his stance, he would get more lift on those pitches. Maybe he's too tired from catching all the time.

No slump. He has more RBI's and doubles then at this time in 2012. This is what he is. A .250 hitter with 20-25 homers and around 80 RBI's.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As another poster pointed out in your comment in another thread ......

What in the world makes you think that we could get a top-of-the-rotation starter for Wieters based on YOUR evaluation of him ???

On one hand, you say that he sucks offensively and is overrated defensively, and on the other hand, you want (and expect) another major league general manager to be out there somewhere that is deaf, dumb and blind enough not to notice how overrated and mediocre that he actually is, and trade their best starting pitcher for him.

We're the only ones with the internet. The rest of the world, including MLB GMs, get their information from old paper copies of Baseball America they pass around via snail mail. Which is why this trade needs to happen today, before the other GMs discover the 1990s.

Ok, who do you think we should trade him for and who catches? I've accepted who Wieters is and honestly, I don't see how we "upgrade" the team or position by trading him. Perhaps you can show us how that can be done by trading him. It's not like he becomes a Free agent at the end of the year.
I wouldn't trade him because I am old school about the C position, and think that is mainly about intangibles like leadership and the art and psychology of pitchers and pitching; things that can't be measured. But that being said TB has a lot of good young SP and they need a good cheap C which Wieters still is, so that would be the kind of trade I would look for. BOS, LAD, TEX, and MFY, would all love to have Wieters. You just replace him with a couple of those good catch and throw guys that seem to be growing on trees.

Id rather trade wieters for a ToR pitcher and sign another defensive catcher (thats all matt is) for much cheaper than what wieters is going to demand. A #1 or even #2 starter helps this team far more than the difference berween matt and whoever else they would sign to catch. Quite honestly, wieters isnt even great defensively. If calling the game is counted as defense. Hes been terrible this year calling our games and he just doesnt help our pitchers out at all. All ive seen from wieters this year is the ability to throw out runners. THATS IT.

Not really, when the drop off is down to Taylor Teagarden and Chris Snyder, you'd have to get back a Verlander to accommodate that.

One thing to remember is that Joe Jordan compared Wieters' bat to Jason Varitek when he drafted him. It wasn't until Wieters crushed the minor leagues did everyone start putting huge numbers on his offensive capabilities. Honestly, Jordan's appraisal of Wieters has been pretty darn accurate.

I'll say the same thing I've always said about Wieters. He stands too tall in the batters box. Then, he gets into slumps where he rolls over low pitches, and grounds out 4-3. I think if he were more crouched in his stance, he would get more lift on those pitches. Maybe he's too tired from catching all the time.

Spot on. Not only does he stand completely upright in the box, he does not keep his weight back. if he did that and pulled his hands back a little, it would force him to crouch down. It would also help him to swing with his body better than he does. When he gets going in his all to frequent slumps, he swings mostly with his arms and wrists and slaps at the ball, resulting in those weak grounders he hits.

Weight back and hands back will force him to crouch some in his stance and will help him use his body in his swing and drive the ball more consistently.

No slump. He has more RBI's and doubles then at this time in 2012. This is what he is. A .250 hitter with 20-25 homers and around 80 RBI's.

Right, and he's always stood up straight at the plate. I wonder what would happen if he crouched more and/or caught less.

But last year he hit better in the second half. He should be more tired later in the season.

He also said the trip out west (cooler weather) rejuvenated him. Also, maybe he caught a second wind and/or got more adrenaline going with the playoff push.

One thing to remember is that Joe Jordan compared Wieters' bat to Jason Varitek when he drafted him. It wasn't until Wieters crushed the minor leagues did everyone start putting huge numbers on his offensive capabilities. Honestly, Jordan's appraisal of Wieters has been pretty darn accurate.

Spot on. And you were the one who always said his bat speed would not translate as well to the majors.

What in the world makes you think that we could get a top-of-the-rotation starter for Wieters based on YOUR evaluation of him ???

On one hand, you say that he sucks offensively and is overrated defensively, and on the other hand, you want (and expect) another major league general manager to be out there somewhere that is deaf, dumb and blind enough not to notice how overrated and mediocre that he actually is, and trade their best starting pitcher for him.

Duh that is easy....

Jedi Mind Trick..

You will trade us Verlander and cash for Matt Wieters...

kenobi_011.jpg?w=510&h=347

Spot on. Not only does he stand completely upright in the box' date=' he does not keep his weight back. if he did that and pulled his hands back a little, it would force him to crouch down. It would also help him to swing with his body better than he does. When he gets going in his all to frequent slumps, he swings mostly with his arms and wrists and slaps at the ball, resulting in those weak grounders he hits.

Weight back and hands back will force him to crouch some in his stance and will help him use his body in his swing and drive the ball more consistently.[/quote']

Sometimes I feel like he sacrifices AB to get ready to catch the next inning. Because a lot of times, it looks like there is little effort in his hitting. He'll swing at the first pitch and roll it over to 2B.

joedogg9999 what's your response to this? If Wieters is clearly as bad as you say why would any team trade us a player of any real value much less a TOR starter? You have to agree that your premise makes little sense.

Id rather trade wieters for a ToR pitcher and sign another defensive catcher (thats all matt is) for much cheaper than what wieters is going to demand. A #1 or even #2 starter helps this team far more than the difference berween matt and whoever else they would sign to catch. Quite honestly, wieters isnt even great defensively. If calling the game is counted as defense. Hes been terrible this year calling our games and he just doesnt help our pitchers out at all. All ive seen from wieters this year is the ability to throw out runners. THATS IT.

Please use proper capitalization, grammar, and punctuation before posting. Try editing before you hit send. Thanks.

Archived