Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finding one that wouldn't want to make me jump off a cliff.

That, and actually getting people to not throw my resume and application in the trash as soon as they get it...

Sometimes you have to work a job you don't like. I have never been unable to find a job. Even if it's working at McDonalds. You do what you have to do.

I guess this is where I disagree. His lack of improvement (even possible regression) on offense along with other risk factors indicate to me his best days may be behind him and/or I at least don't want to be paying him well for his past production.

I'm not really following you here. 2011 was probably Wieters' best offensive season to date. 2012 was probably second. If 2013 ended right now, this arguably would be his worst season. But 2013 doesn't end now. Who is saying we should pay him based on past performance? For me, I'll worry about Wieters when the year is over, if then. But I'm done with being disappointed that he's not Mauer With Power. He obviously is not an elite offensive catcher. He's still got some pretty good pop and is a much better overall catcher than most teams have.

Sometimes you have to work a job you don't like. I have never been unable to find a job. Even if it's working at McDonalds. You do what you have to do.

Well if it came to work or starve obviously. Not at that stage yet, I still have some money left over from when I had a paying job.

I'm still holding out hope that something comes around. I really really don't want to work at someplace like McDonald's. I have no adult responsibilities so it's not that big of a deal though, at the moment at least...

Well if it came to work or starve obviously. Not at that stage yet, I still have some money left over from when I had a paying job.

I'm still holding out hope that something comes around. I really really don't want to work at someplace like McDonald's. I have no adult responsibilities so it's not that big of a deal though, at the moment at least...

How are you living without having a job? Must be nice.

How are you living without having a job? Must be nice.

Parents. I'm only 25. Even though I look 40. And I have a job, it just doesn't pay anything. Like literally zero dollars.

Outside of my job, I spend most of my days applying to other jobs and driving my dad around (to work, to the store, etc.) since he can't see in one eye and thus can't drive himself.

It is nice usually, though sometimes a bit lonely since I don't see my friends and I don't date...ever. So, we'll see what happens.

In any case, this thread is about Wieters.

I'm not really following you here. 2011 was probably Wieters' best offensive season to date. 2012 was probably second. If 2013 ended right now, this arguably would be his worst season. But 2013 doesn't end now. Who is saying we should pay him based on past performance? For me, I'll worry about Wieters when the year is over, if then. But I'm done with being disappointed that he's not Mauer With Power. He obviously is not an elite offensive catcher. He's still got some pretty good pop and is a much better overall catcher than most teams have.

You just stated in your post that we can expect Wieters to perform going forward based on his ML record. I'm guessing Wieter's agent will be arguing for an extension based on his record. That's typically what they do and I expect that would be a pretty high dollar amount. We have yet to see how this year will end up, but I'd guess they'll try and mitigate it as an off year...if it is. Again, I see him as a Roberts/Markakis type contract...except worse. It'll likely be an an extension extension that won't be worth it (likely imo) or barely worth it. We can't afford to give out contracts like that.

If I saw some potential to improve his hitting then you could DH him more when he needs rest (and he will need more rest). He'd be a pretty lame DH and less catching time means less value. This doesn't even get into his injury risk (which I see as a factor).

You just stated in your post that we can expect Wieters to perform going forward based on his ML record. I'm guessing Wieter's agent will be arguing for an extension based on his record. That's typically what they do and I expect that would be a pretty high dollar amount. We have yet to see how this year will end up, but I'd guess they'll try and mitigate it as an off year...if it is. Again, I see him as a Roberts/Markakis type contract...except worse. It'll likely be an an extension extension that won't be worth it (likely imo) or barely worth it. We can't afford to give out contracts like that.

If I saw some potential to improve his hitting then you could DH him more when he needs rest (and he will need more rest). He'd be a pretty lame DH and less catching time means less value. This doesn't even get into his injury risk (which I see as a factor).

I'll confess, I haven't read this whole thread. You seem to be discussing whether we should do a long term deal with Wieters. I had thought the thread was more about whether we should be "doing something" about the fact that Wieters isn't hitting that well this year. As I said, I'd evaluate whether to do a long-term deal when the season is over. As to the second question, I wouldn't "do" anything, though if Buck moves him a little lower in the lineup while he's struggling, I'm cool with that.

Well I hope something works out for you. I am lucky. I am old and retired.

Calling me out for an apology? For what, exactly?

This was my last post in this thread:

What the hell is your problem Cerrano?

Because despite starting a thread who's main point ended up coming to pass you took your usual pot shots.

No biggie, I'll just be waiting around for my next opportunity to troll Wieters.

Wieters dropped to 7th tonight against RHP Ubaldo Jimenez. I'll be waiting for OFFNY to either

1) apologize to me

or

2) send nasty emails/letters to Buck for making this jaw-dropping move

Calling me out for an apology? For what, exactly?

This was my last post in this thread:

I've deleted my previous comment.

I apologize for getting into it with you.

What the hell is your problem Cerrano?

Because despite starting a thread who's main point ended up coming to pass you took your usual pot shots.

No biggie, I'll just be waiting around for my next opportunity to troll Wieters.

Oh, as if you didn't take pot shots at me? And you just had to take one more, even though my last post in this thread was 2 weeks ago, and it was an apology for getting into it with you?

You're an incorrigible creep, Cerrano.

Archived