Youth does not hide failure

calmunderfire

I never said early failures ensures consistent failure. I said early failure is what it is. Failure.

There are guys who turn around their careers. Like Chris Tillman.

That does not mean guys like Gausman have not failed. He failed miserably and until he turns it around he will remain a MLB failure.

You can attribute inexperience somewhat to ineffectiveness.

Okay. But what is the point? You keep typing sentences to merely state the obvious.

Is there a point? Or do you simply enjoy giving your fingers a little exercise?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay. But what is the point? You keep typing sentences to merely state the obvious.

Is there a point? Or do you simply enjoy giving your fingers a little exercise?

Because we've seen the movie what 10-15 times the last few years where a new pitcher comes up and meets tremendous adversity. Then that is followed is fans become blinded by a starters youth and won't even admit to his complete failure. Or start demanding he rejoin the rotation when he's not a good player right now. It needs to stop.

Adam Jones chases too many sliders.

Matt Wieters doesn't hit for a high average.

JJ Hardy won't draw a walk.

Ryan Flaherty can't hit breaking pitches.

Jim Johnson doesn't get enough strikeouts.

Strop is too erratic.

Rabble, rabble, rabble

Are we covered now, Mr. Munderfire?

Strop is too erratic.

Rabble, rabble, rabble

No because you are dealing with specifics. This thread deals with generalities and the bottom line. Your post is out of place in this thread.

Strop is too erratic.

Rabble, rabble, rabble

No, no, no. It's Manny that can't hit sliders.

No one on this board will argue that Ryan can't hit...well...anything.

Ohh I get it Chris Davis was a failure till he was not. Makes perfect sence to me now thank you for showing me the way.

Justin Verlander first year failure till guess what he was not. Man I am on a roll!

There's a ton of stories of struggling future HoF'ers, but I chose Mantle as he's generally considered to be a baseball god, and the fact that the story actually involved him being sent down to the minors and being one lecture from his father away from quitting altogether.

Good choice.

Ohh I get it Chris Davis was a failure till he was not. Makes perfect sence to me now thank you for showing me the way.

Justin Verlander first year failure till guess what he was not. Man I am on a roll!

Sandy Koufax? Total failure, until he turned into a good player. I don't know why I insisted that he was a great player when he was terrible. Stupid me.

Roy Halladay. Chris Carpenter. Curt Schilling.

It's obvious that what OP expressed was not an opinion, but an incorrect fact. And if you don't believe this "you're just lying to yourself."

Question:

Is Willie Mays a failure? I know he was great during most of his career, but not at the end. Does that ending failure carry over? Is he still a failure since he didn't redeem himself?

I think he said failure is failure. So with his incorrect facts, yes.

If we were to grade starters on a pass fail system then age is nothing, but a number. The performance is the performance and your body of work is what it is. Everything that happened is documented statistically and on video. You cannot hide from your failures. All you can do is remain a failure or become a success story. Or conversely you can succeed from the start and maintain a level of production until retirement.

Most of our guys fail from season 1 and continue failing throughout their career. On some occasions we see failures start to show up in season 2 like Matusz and Bergesen. The point is failure is failure no matter when it happens.

Jake Arrieta for example failed when he came up. He was young so we gave him chances to figure it out. He never figured it out. But even so, in 2009 he failed as he did in the following seasons. He hurt the team in every season he failed.

It does not matter when pitchers fail. Kevin Gausman's failures as a starter in the MLB is just as damaging as any other failure no matter their age and experience. He is still a key contributor to the struggles of the rotation.

Did we bring him up to fail? To cut to the chase lets not sugarcoat it. Was he called up to fail? Or was he called up to help the Orioles win games? He was called up to succeed. Maybe a young guy like him goes and figures it out. Perhaps we shouldn't expect him to perform as well as a more experienced pitcher. But ineffectiveness knows no age.

We cannot have the attitude of expecting a young pitcher to fail at first and then succeed. We should expect him to succeed immediately and hit the ground running. And if he should struggle at first well then he is a failure until proven otherwise.

To believe otherwise is just lying to yourself.

I feel like there's some kind of hidden message here, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

Archived