Britton and Gausman down

bpilktree

His fastball command is fine. He has one outing where he can't throw strikes and someone proclaims that he can't command his heater. :rolleyestf:

He's had problems with fastball command in the MLB. His stuff is too good not to play up here. That's why he gets hammered. On the Gausman scouting report they said his command was poor.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your sure Wada can? You have the same 40 man issue with him as well. Wada gonna do?

No, quite frankly, I'm not. I'd just rather see him first then lose someone off the 40-man to try out Ascencio. That being said, Wada has pitched well his last 3 or 4 appearances and was an ace in Japan. I have a bit more faith in him then I would Jario. But Wada I know? :D I really think we need to trade for another right-handed relief arm.

We could just call up Stinson. There isn't really a lot of room in Norfolk's rotation now with Wada, JJ, Garcia, Gamboa, Gausman, Britton there now. Or we could just DFA him and add either Ascencio or Delcarmen from AAA. Brandon Lyon is on waivers from the mets he could be a good pickup and just DFA Stinson. Not many RH options in the system until S.Johnson gets back.

We could just call up Stinson. There isn't really a lot of room in Norfolk's rotation now with Wada, JJ, Garcia, Gamboa, Gausman, Britton there now. Or we could just DFA him and add either Ascencio or Delcarmen from AAA. Brandon Lyon is on waivers from the mets he could be a good pickup and just DFA Stinson. Not many RH options in the system until S.Johnson gets back.

Roch says no on Stinson since he worked 7 innings Saturday. I'm hoping it's Ascencio. He's earned it.

I don't why people aren't higher on Wada. We paid him $8 million because we thought he was good. I know he struggled initially after surgery but look at his last 4 starts

Jun 17 6.2 innings 1 run.

Jun 23 5.0 innnings 2 runs

Jun 29 6.1 innings 2 runs

Jul 05 6.2 innings 1 run

That's a 2.25 ERA.

Anyone know what his pitch count has been or what he's been on the radar gun?

This seems like as good a thread as any to register my displeasure at how the Orioles have handled Gausman this year. 8 AA starts, then promoted prematurely to the majors for 5 starts here, a brief demotion to Norfolk, then bullpen duty for 2 weeks up here, now another demotion. For my money, I'd be much happier if he'd made 13-14 starts at Bowie, gotten a promotion to AAA if he had earned it, and if so, by now he would have made about 4 starts with Norfolk. In another month, I'd have been willing to consider him for Baltimore if he seemed ready.

I realize our starting pitching depth hasn't been great, but I really feel we've done Gausman a disservice by bringing him to the majors before he was ready to succeed, yo-yoing him around and mixing his roles in the process. When I watch him pitch, i can see he has a lot of talent and should develop into an above average major league starter -- IF we actually "develop" him instead of jerking him around. But he's simply not ready -- his breaking pitch is not major league quality yet and his fastball command needs to be honed further. I'm just praying they don't wreck this kid -- and I'm not usually one who believes a prospect can be easily wrecked.

This seems like as good a thread as any to register my displeasure at how the Orioles have handled Gausman this year. 8 AA starts, then promoted prematurely to the majors for 5 starts here, a brief demotion to Norfolk, then bullpen duty for 2 weeks up here, now another demotion. For my money, I'd be much happier if he'd made 13-14 starts at Bowie, gotten a promotion to AAA if he had earned it, and if so, by now he would have made about 4 starts with Norfolk. In another month, I'd have been willing to consider him for Baltimore if he seemed ready.

I realize our starting pitching depth hasn't been great, but I really feel we've done Gausman a disservice by bringing him to the majors before he was ready to succeed, yo-yoing him around and mixing his roles in the process. When I watch him pitch, i can see he has a lot of talent and should develop into an above average major league starter -- IF we actually "develop" him instead of jerking him around. But he's simply not ready -- his breaking pitch is not major league quality yet and his fastball command needs to be honed further. I'm just praying they don't wreck this kid -- and I'm not usually one who believes a prospect can be easily wrecked.

I would have been ok with the move to the BP if it was something like Earl used to do or if he had worked as a starter most of the year in AA or AAA and then been moved to the BP in Sept or even earlier to have him face ML hitters.

That's the least of his problems right now. Kid has no fastball command. Is a thrower. Has home run issues.

:bangwall:

Good decision as neither belongs in bigs.

How did you manage to climb up to a green?

This is merely moves to prepare for after the AS break, nothing really to read into this. Chen will be up and one of the two will be up right after the break.

Perhaps Ascencio has earned his chance but we'd have to drop someone off the 40-man, don't know that they'd put Pearce on the 60-day. Not sure that Ascencio can pitch in the big leagues.

FWIW, I had Ascencio for a few years in OOTP after snagging him in the 2012 Rule 5 Draft and the guy was terrible. Great stuff, no command. Ended up hiding him on the 60 day DL for the second half until rosters expanded and then stashed him at Norfolk where he floundered until he ran out of options. DFA'd him, and Philly(I think) claimed him. No big loss.

Point is, the guy is clearly a bum just like that bum of a bust Gausman ;)

FWIW, I had Ascencio for a few years in OOTP after snagging him in the 2012 Rule 5 Draft and the guy was terrible. Great stuff, no command. Ended up hiding him on the 60 day DL for the second half until rosters expanded and then stashed him at Norfolk where he floundered until he ran out of options. DFA'd him, and Philly(I think) claimed him. No big loss.

Point is, the guy is clearly a bum just like that bum of a bust Gausman ;)

615178931327690176.jpg

But the main thing is of course, his name is fricking cool to say. Jario Ascencio.

Reminds me of another great name.

ed-skrein-photo-keith-bernstein-hbo.jpg

Archived